PDA

View Full Version : To supplement or not, that is the question

cs
06-04-2008, 06:27 AM
I have been on a pretty intense rgiments of vitamins over the years.

They consist of:
Multi
A
B-100 complex
C

I chose this combination to help strengthen my immune system. From the way I understood it at the time is that these worked hand in hand to help that way.

Before I started this combination I was drinking a glass of orange juice every day to increase my C intake.

But a few months back I had ran out of multis and B-100 so I had quit taking any vitamins. Before going any further let me add that ever since I started on this path (including the orange juice thing) I can count on one hand the cases of colds, flues, and hayfever that I have had. BTW I've been doing this for over 10 years when you count the orange juice and I started the vitamins back in 2003. I've only had the flu/cold once in those 10 years and only slight cases of hayfever. When ever I've felt even a slight case of the sniffles I've double or even tripled up on my C intake and nipped the problem in the nose.

But as I said a few months back I ran out of multi and B-100 so I quit taking any. During that time I caught a cold and have had a bad case of hayfever. When the second case of hayfever started I went and re-stocked my vitamins and started my regime again and the hayfever turned into nothing.

Now you can say that it has all been luck and the vitamins have nothing to do with it. And you can say I'm just pissing my money away. You may say it is all in my mind.

But you can say what you will, I will continue to take my vitamins becuase something is working.

Chad

George Roberts
06-04-2008, 08:07 AM
"To supplement or not, that is the question"

"But you can say what you will, I will continue to take my vitamins because something is working."

I was not expecting an answer. While vitamins help, I suspect the process of taking the vitamins is a strong placebo.

Saltiguy
06-04-2008, 08:15 AM
I've been taking 2,000mg of vitC every day for the last 20 years. Also take a multi and fish oil.
It was reading the work of Linus Pauling that got me started and I feel it has helped me a lot. I don't get colds, even when everyone around me is coughing and blowing.
There is a lot of interesting material on the subject of Minimum Daily Requirements that suggest that we are not all the same, and that many of us are "dying" slowly from malnutrition as we are unable to get our "minimum" requirements through normal diet. Suppliments are the answer.

Popeye
06-04-2008, 08:27 AM
agree with supplements , i think issues like the epidemic levels of bph (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_prostatic_hyperplasia) are completely overlooked , when in fact they are directly linked to a zinc deficiency

up north , less sunshine means lower vit d levels , fish oils are simply a good idea regardless of diet

cs
06-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Placebo or not placebo doesn't really matter. Something is working. 10 years strong doese of vitamins or orange juice = no colds. A few months w/o = cold. And it appears that others have the same luck.

So like I said something is working and it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out the connections (at least in my case), so I'll keep on keeping on. ;)

Chad

George Roberts
06-04-2008, 08:55 AM
"Placebo or not placebo doesn't really matter."

I agree.

pipefitter
06-04-2008, 09:44 AM
I haven't been sick in about 8 years. Not even a cold and I don't take vitamins. But, when I was sick, I rarely went to the doctor for the cure so maybe my immune system had built up from fighting off illnesses on it's own. Now, whenever people get the sniffles, they are at the doctor after an antibiotic. When we were kids, we mostly cured the common ailments with fluids and bed rest. These days, children are brought up on antibiotics for everything and although it may cure the ailment in short order, I have to wonder if they leave our immune systems lacking the natural defenses they would normally build up if left to actually function alone, along with a proper diet in which to fuel it.

Popeye
06-04-2008, 10:53 AM
does george buy insurance ?

Pete Dorr
06-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Chad

Just don't overdo your "supplements"

http://www.karendecoster.com/blog/archives/steroids.bmp

Pete

Thorne
06-04-2008, 12:54 PM
It is not a vitamin supplement, but after reading another thread here I've started taking some of the Glucosamine and chondroitin tablets == quite a change in joint pain, greatly reduced.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/supplements/a/glucosamine.htm

Spin_Drift
06-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I supplement also. Probably more than the rest of my family. Vitamins, minerals, amino acids, zink, royal jelly, etc.

But living in the dairy country has me really spoiled. I take fresh colostrum almost daily. It has done wonders to my immune system. I haven't been sick for years. Even if people around me fall flat on their arse and stay there. Used to catch one or two colds a year before that. Fantastic stuff.

I think lot of the soils where foods are grown in general, are depleted of nutrition. Finland's soil is lacking in zink, if I remember correctly...

coelacanth2
06-04-2008, 09:36 PM
The proposition that many soils are depleted was first advanced inthe US back in the 20s or 30s, IIRC. I supplement my garden soil with compost that has washed seaweed(thanks , Donn) crab bits from local crabhouses, chicken and horse manure, and Ironite, ashes and charcoal from fireplace and burned brush (Google black soil in the Amazon for interesting take on charcoal in soil).
My son has a pet bearded dragon, it's now about 3 years old. Like his owner, he prefers meat ( bugs of any kind) but also goes for raspberries, salad greens, etc. When the wild raspberries from the yard come of, he won't touch store-bought. Sniff it, lick it, walk away. Same for when the garden starts producing - store bought won't do. Same for the kid - he will not eat frozen green or string beans, or limas, but will stuff out on things from the garden.