PDA

View Full Version : Strewth - what a crash - 250cc GP

The Bigfella
06-01-2008, 06:05 AM
That was amazing.

Hector Barbera just smashed his front brake lever into the back of Simoncelli's bike at 140mph during an overtaking manouever on the straight at Mugello circuit in Italy. There was this massive cloud of smoke and the bike cartwheeled.

He walked away.....

PeterSibley
06-01-2008, 06:14 AM
Was there a link there Ian ?

You can slide down the bitumen pretty damn fast as long as you don't hit anything .

James River Rat
06-01-2008, 08:54 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XF7vEwlgbz0

Never seen that before!!!

The Bigfella
06-01-2008, 09:05 AM
It hurts just watching that. I went over the handlebars at 90 mph many a long year ago and woke up in hospital. The extra 50 mph there could only add hurts.

Lew Barrett
06-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Hard fall, very freakish. 250 GP is the most competitive of the lot. It's rare to see one bike overtaking another with that sort of velocity.

Mrleft8
06-01-2008, 09:45 AM
I like the fat guy watching on the CCTV's reaction. Everyone else is covering their mouths or eyes.....He stares at it with his arms crossed....Finally rolls his eyes, claps his hands and turns around and holds his head, with a "I can't BELIEVE I just lost 5,000 Euros betting on that schmuck!" look on his face.....

The Bigfella
06-01-2008, 06:15 PM
250 GP is the most competitive of the lot

and its slated to go - to be replaced by a four stroke class of just over 600cc.

George Jung
06-01-2008, 06:45 PM
It ain't the speed that gets ya - it's the stopping. I sure miss riding my bike - but glad I did (lots of other things I want to do yet).

The Bigfella
06-01-2008, 07:46 PM
It ain't the speed that gets ya - it's the stopping.

Yeah - I only fell 5' or so when I did it at 90mph - but the gouges that were all over my helmet give a bit of an indication of the friction involved. As did the concussion.

A friend of mine fell off a modified 1000cc Kawasaki at Bathurst back in the late 70's. He was timed on the hump at the end of Conrod at 137mph and as he went over the hump the frame did its elastic trick and spat him over the handlebars. He had a large friction burn on his arm - and that was it - raced again the next day (on his own bike, the Kwacka was someone else's).

One of the best races I ever saw involved a 250cc GP bike beating the 750cc GP bikes. The late Gregg Hansford was riding for Kawasaki in the Malboro Series in NZ in IIRC, 1978. The street circuit at Wanganui was particularly tight and he found the 250cc faster than his 750cc bike. I was covering it for Revs Motorcyle News - so would have photos that I took of it somewhere in the basement. Hansford ended up doing the GP circuit for Kawasaki a year or so later - and IIRC came 2nd in the Championship, which was just amazing - he was a big bloke, up against a whole heap of pygmies on bikes with equal power.

And ..... on another note - wasn't Rossi's helmet fabulous last night?

Lew Barrett
06-01-2008, 07:46 PM
and its slated to go - to be replaced by a four stroke class of just over 600cc.

Yup. Too bad. I have a soft spot for Aprilia, a perennial underdog, and it's the place where they've been historically the most competitive. Another bunch of too fast four cylinder mega bikes will circulate at 200 MPH and the money will take the wins.