PDA

View Full Version : Quicke C clamp pad fix (pic)

J. Dillon
11-22-2003, 11:28 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p4af79694e99af6866db508421e9ff27f/fa7e38ea.jpg

In a mast glueing session I needed all my clamps even the ones without pads.
An easy fix is to find a scrap piece of hard close grained wood ( birch above)and rip it to about an inch wide and a 2' long. Run a dove tail router bitt down the center. Now you can cut up any size pad you want, with some to spare.

If you have the right bitt they are just about the size of the ball of the C clamp screw and will lock into the dove tail. If a bit loose just drive a couple of nails as shown to keep he wood pad in place. For now it works and took he load of clamping pressure with out splitting.

How long will it last ? Time will tell.

JD

daddles
11-23-2003, 07:03 PM
Doesn't matter if they don't last. You've got the clamps working again. At TAFE (boat building course), all our clamps are minus the feet - we just shove a lump of ply under the foot. It works as badly as it sounds it should. The biggest problem is expoxy on the threads.

The clamps that scare me are the ones that are bent. We've got some BIG C clamps, real solid things. And people have warped them - well, I'm assuming the damage was done by human beings. Perhaps they teach boat building to gorillas.

Cheers
Richard

Bob Smalser
11-23-2003, 07:32 PM
Looks like a great solution to me...short of putting 50 dollars worth of machine work into a 10-dollar used clamp.