PDA

View Full Version : Green Power from the Electric Power Board

cs
05-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Please go to the link below and read and than come back and tell me what you think.

Green Power (http://www01.epb.net/index.php?page=communityGreenPower)

According to this site and the stuff they send in the mail I can buy "Green Power" for $4 a block (a block is 150 kwh).

So what are they doing? I don't think that if I buy a block that they will send "Green Power" to my house specificly. So are they trying to get me to pay them extra money so that they can invest in Green power?

They do say;

The generated Green Power is then added to TVA's total power mix, which is shared by customers in the Tennessee Valley.

So they really are not sending it to my house in paticular, just asking me to help subsidize green power so they don't have to raise everyone's rate.

BTW here is the electrial rate:

EPB Residential Electric Rates (as of April 1, 2008)
$0.07608 per kWh

That is $11.41 for 150 kwh. So I reckon the $4 charge for 150 kwh is in addition to that.

Chad

Gary E
05-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Your getting a bargain....

I pay $0.144 /kwh

cs
05-30-2008, 12:13 PM
No doubt. I have never doubted that we have the cheapest electrical power around. I'm in the midst of TVA country. We have hydro, nuclear, and breader reactors all in our backyard. I live maybe 6 miles from a Nuclear Plant and less that 3 miles from the dam where they make hydro. I work just up river from where they pump water up to the top of a mountain for storage and than drain it down to the bottom when they need to create power. The air is pretty much charged with electricty around here.

Chad

cs
05-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Apperantly everyone is to concerned about spiritual leaders to take the time to look at this.

Chad

Rigadog
05-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I tried green power. I couldn't see a difference. Now I get all my electricity from a small nuclear reactor I made from a washing machine. I got the plans out of a Popular Science issue from the fifties.

George Roberts
05-30-2008, 05:10 PM
"I got the plans out of a Popular Science issue from the fifties."

Those were good plans. I think several hundred were built.

---

There appear to be real pricing problems in Texas. The Texas grid is independent from the rest of the country. Prices are deregulated so each consumer can buy from any of over 100 wholesalers.

Lots of unexpected price spikes this month and demand is well below the peak.

$.35/KWH has been reported.

Not as bad as in Anchorage.

---

In Oklahoma we will see a 20% rate increase this month. And then there is the season rate change. As we say here - cheap at twice the price.

paladin
05-30-2008, 05:13 PM
dunno what I'm paying but the weenies raised the price last year for minimal usage as I wasn't using the minimum....

PeterSibley
05-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Chad , sounds like a very good deal .If it's the Green electrons you're worrying about , sounds like they are agreeing to buy as many as you use .Same as your ones having green stripes down their backs .

cs
05-30-2008, 09:47 PM
So you think that if I buy a block or two of green power that TVA will use that money to purchase green? I want to do my part but I worry that something like this is a gimmick for the power company to get more money out of me.

I find it odd that when they talk about Green power on their web site they don't mention hydro. As I mention above I'm not far from the dam where they generate hydro.

power generated from renewable resources like wind, solar and methane gas.

Chad

PeterSibley
05-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Chad , email them with a direct question ,
Peter

cs
05-31-2008, 08:06 AM
That is probably a good idea. I think that I will go ahead and do that.

Chad

cs
05-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Here is note that I sent the EPB.

I was wondering about the green power proIgram. Do you use the money to develop green power or is it outsourced? Also if I buy blocks of green power does that $4/150 kwh go agaisn't my current bill/electrical usage or is this in addition to my bill?

Chad

PeterSibley
05-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Yup ...let us know what they say .

cs
06-01-2008, 02:11 PM
From the power board

Mr Smith,

The money is used to develop green power and the money contributed is in addition to your normal billing. I hope this answers your questions. Thank you and have a nice day.

So they will be using the customer's donations to develop the power, but not give us a break on our bill for donating. In other words it is free money for them to do research.

While I support green power I'm not sure this is the way.

Chad

PeterSibley
06-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Well Chad , I'm happy to pay quite a lot more than you for the same product .You're not doing badly ...if you want green power .You won't buy it for the same price as coal produced and money into that fund isn't a bad idea .

Just my 2c worth .

paladin
06-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Get large trashbags and go to a farm and get permission to walk around and collect cow pies....dry them out in the sun, burn them in your cast iron stove...recycles the hay a couple of times and doesn't require trees.