PDA

View Full Version : Big Ol' Bandsaw Tire Problem?!?

Billy Bones
11-13-2003, 02:55 PM
My old Rockwell Delta 20" bandsaw threw a tire a while ago. This was a first for me, but no big deal--I called the Delta folks and they sent me one. I would have gotten two but they were pretty expensive. I figured that since the one that broke was the drive tire it probably underwent a lot more stress than the idler.

Now, seconds after starting her up with one new tire and one old one, she threw the other old (idler) tire.

Is it odd that they broke within moments of operating time of each other? I know my machine pretty well and there is nothing else out of whack, as far as I can see, which would explain this. Or should I have expected this and replaced them both?

Any thoughts?

John of Phoenix
11-13-2003, 02:59 PM
Get an exorcist! Possessed for sure.

Paul Scheuer
11-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Sounds like precision planning on Delta's part. I'm impressed.

Bruce Taylor
11-13-2003, 03:26 PM
I don't suppose there's any way the wheel RPM has increased lately? Do you have a stepped pulley, for instance? My bandsaw (Delta 14") throws tires whenever RPM exceeds a certain threshold, but I can use it all day at a slightly slower speed.

Hughman
11-13-2003, 04:25 PM
My Delta 14 threw it's tire last night. First time in 20 years. you might think it's about time - but I think this flurry of similar events is caused by sunspots.

Glued it back on with formica adhesive.

Billy Bones
11-13-2003, 04:58 PM
Glued it back on? Mine parted. Looking at the cross-section, the outer third was brittle and the inner 2/3 was less plyable than I'd like. Both tires showed the same characteristics and failed similarly.

Dang sunstorms, 'cept the first one broke before all the solar hubbub.

Bruce, that would be a likely explanation, except no change has occurred since I got it when I lowered the top end to perform better in wood. It really sang when factory spec, something like 5000fpm and change.

[ 11-13-2003, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Billy Bones ]

imported_Steven Bauer
11-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Have you tried duct tape? I know a guy who made a duct tape tire while waiting for a new one to come in the mail and he is still using it!

Steven

L.W. Baxter
11-13-2003, 07:51 PM
I once rebuilt an air compressor pump. Included in kit was a new cam. I didn't install it because it was extra hassle and the old one looked fine. After about an hour of operation, the old arm sheared in half, broke big chunks off the pump housing. The rebuilt pump, running at higher compression, caused the fatigued metal to fail.

Sometimes changing the working parts of a well-worn machine can increase stresses. Maybe the new drive tire lacked a certain quality of shock absorption, or maybe the original had become a little slippery, or something like that?

ion barnes
11-13-2003, 08:55 PM
Age and normal decay. I have a 14" Delta copy and the tires are both cracked and hard. As you have found, since the tires are of the same age its likly they could fail soon after each other. Its also a possibility that the grip on the new tire exceeded the traction on the old one. rule of thumb, replace associated parts at the same time.

Ed Harrow
11-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Sorry to tell you Billy my boy, but that thing is junk. It's gone way past the point of no return. It's toxic waste as well, you know.

Package it up and send it to me, I'll arrange for proper, legal, disposal.

warthog5
11-13-2003, 10:53 PM
URETHANE BAND SAW TIRE 20in for $24.50
Much better than rubber.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/bandsaw.html

Mrleft8
11-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Well by jezus! I had the same thing happen just almost exactly a year ago! (20" Delta bandsaw tires cost about $90 a pair) I replaced the one, and blew the second one.... Lucky I bought both eh? I figure the added torque on the old tire caused it to pop.

warthog5
11-13-2003, 11:50 PM
When you order some new tires, just go ahead and order some Timberwolf blades from these people.
It is true what they say about Timberwolf blades. Top Shelf stuff.
What ever size BS you have. Chuck the stock blade out the door and put the Timberwolf on. It makes a good BS a GREAT BS.
Changing to a link belt on my Harbor Freight 14in BS took 70% of the vibration out of it. :D

Billy Bones
11-14-2003, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestion of Suffolk, Warthog. That looked promising, but unfortunately Delta wheels have a detent in the center and a corresponding lip on the inside of the tire, and the required crown is built into the tire rather than the wheel, so the urethane won't work unless I have the wheel machined which I'm tempted to do since the tires are $60something each.

Still, I ordered a timberwolf blade. We'll see how it performs compared to my favorite woodslicers.

warthog5
11-15-2003, 09:04 PM
I'd chuck those wheels in a lath in a heartbeat.
Now if you don't know anyone that can swing those 20in wheels, Think about this.
Chuck them in a brake drum lath and turn them. I've got a buddy that has done all sorts of stuff like that. He's taught me a trick or two over the years. People would think he's an old time Blacksmith. HeHe :D

Billy Bones
11-16-2003, 11:01 AM
Hah! that's not a bad thought. My lathe has a 24" swing (and an 8.5' bed), but I just hate the idea of those aluminum shavings all over the place. Of more relevance is the fact that my lathe goes slow, but not with enough torque to shave aluminum well without chattering. I guess it's plan A.

MW Jones
11-30-2003, 08:31 PM
I worked for several years with a 36Ē band saw that had wooden wheels. Short version of the story: someone skipped out with out paying their yard bill, and left a band saw a few weeks later. The sawís wheels were just Iron spokes with no rim. Well the crew just laminated a wheel around the spokes, and then turned the saw on and turned the wheels true. Iím guessing they moved the upper wheel to the drive shaft to true it up. The blades rode directly on the wood with no rubber. It had been used that way for about 35 years when I was there.

I donít know about using wood to replace rubber but I donít see why you canít use the same system to true up or flatten a wheel.

Mike J

pwilling
12-01-2003, 06:44 PM
Bandsaw tires with no crown: do they work okay? They are all anybody seems to stock these days.

I can't find replacement tires with crown in them for 14" Delta. Glued old ones on with gasket cement when they slipped off. Seems to work fine.

windfall
12-05-2003, 06:22 PM
Paul Rollins showed me a pretty neat trrick. When the tires rotted out on our 36" saw he grabbed a tube of 5200 spun a bead on and then troweled a crown into it while rotating the wheel by hand. Runs like a champ cost a few bucks(if that) and is not suseptable to the ozone deterioration that eats up standard rubber tires. I was sold. But I will admit if it ever has to be replaced things could get intertesting...I gues we will mealt the damn things off

Mrleft8
12-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Come to think of it.... I've got an extra tire for a 20" Delta bandsaw if you want it.