PDA

View Full Version : bird-brains

Phillip Allen
05-28-2008, 09:11 AM
I have two large sliding glass doors in my tempodrary computer room...in the time I have typed this sentence there have been 5 or 6 hits with robins trying to fly through the glass...make that 9 hits...wait...ten...(you get the idea)

Mrleft8
05-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Robins, especially male robins, Are highly territorial at this time of year. I often have them attack their reflection in the balcony door glass. I also had a male Cardinal break my drivers side rearview mirror on my truck protecting his territory from his own reflection.

Phillip Allen
05-28-2008, 09:21 AM
maybe that's it...two days of it...

Canoez
05-28-2008, 09:23 AM
We've got a female cardinal that sits on one of the window wells and pecks at her reflection in the basement windows. Sometimes she goes on for quite a long time.

We think she's nuts, frankly.

Syed
05-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Almost same here, elf's thread. http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75031

TimH
05-28-2008, 09:54 AM
we have a humingbird who sits outside the french doors and watches the tv inside for hours almost every evening. This is his second season doing this.

Greg P H
05-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Also, it can be a perceptual thing. Say your flying along at 20-30mph and you're used to finding your way between branches, trees and things. Then you come up on a wall, see what seems to be an opening, (because the glass is reflecting the surroundings) and you go for it....

Stick something on the glass, or hang a couple pieces of ribbon, dangly things, etc, on the outside, it will change their focus, and make the window look like a surface rather than a hole.

The knowledge of transparent solid surfaces, is only etched in the memories of the survivors!

Phillip Allen
05-28-2008, 11:34 AM
FER GOSH SAKES! There is a constant peck-thump-peck on the glass behind me

Canoez
05-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Yannow, if the birds are driving you nuts, they have some hawk shaped black vinyl window stickers that keep the birds away. They're the kind that don't actually use adhesive to stick to the glass.

Phillip Allen
05-28-2008, 11:57 AM
the is a Cooper's Hawk nesting next door

paladin
05-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Catch the hawk, trim his tail and wing feathers....keep them that way for a month or two, feed him well, then when the feathers can grow back and he can fly he will be tame enough to hang around and keep all the mice and potential raccoons away....

TimH
05-28-2008, 12:38 PM
just open the window. Either they will go elsewhere or fly right in and you can have robins for dinner.

Popeye
05-28-2008, 12:39 PM
get a cat

Phillip Allen
05-28-2008, 03:25 PM
still goin on...every 3 seconds, thump

TimH
05-28-2008, 03:32 PM
how many dead ones so far?

beaky
05-28-2008, 03:41 PM
this little chap/chapess had the same idea last winter

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg268/beaky369/kingfisher-2.jpg

jill

BETTY-B
05-28-2008, 05:38 PM
The other morning I awoke to what sounded like different drums being hit in the pilothouse. Along with intermitant chirping. ULA was sitting upright at the foot of my bunk looking confused at me then towards the pilothouse. We jumped up and opened the companionway door to find a bird flying into every window inside the pilothouse. ULA and I were ffreaking out. I opened the slider doors and it kept banging into the windows instead of flying out. It was chaotic. ULA and I constantly ducking as this thing was ripping all around us. After what seemed like forever, the thing finally flew out. I probabaly didnt need coffee that morning. I still dont know how it got in because I had the place all closed up with the heater on.

DAN

Phillip Allen
05-28-2008, 06:16 PM
how many dead ones so far?

as far as I can tell it's the same bird...he trys to apply his toenails to the reflection

ishmael
05-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Reflection and territory, like Doug said. This time of year their hots are running, thinking about making baby birds, if you can call it thinking.;) Boy birds of many species will try to fight, even if it's just with a reflection.

The marvelous wood thrush is making its mating call the last week. This one is young, you can tell because the song isn't well developed. An older one sings most incredibly. Even this young one hanging on the afternoon air is worthy. What an amazing voice for an otherwise little fart. The child of a previous generation? Probably. I've yet to see or hear the catbird family that always nests in my bush. I hope they come back, a beautiful bird, just smaller than a robin, more lightly built, with a rust color rump patch.

The Bigfella
05-28-2008, 06:34 PM
We've got a Pee Wee that likes attacking himself in our windows. We've got a chair nice and close now, so he doesn't hurt himself with long distance attacks. We've also got feed there that distracts him.

There's bigger rumblings in the back yard though. Its coming into breeding season - and the Brush Turkey that took up residence here 6 months back is revealing himself as a male. He's gone from being chased by my daughter's pet duck, to chasing her - and the noise gets a bit raucous at times.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/bigfoot.jpg

About 30 seconds after this shot the duck had a go - I got a fleeting photo, but it took place behind the rock orchids...

boylesboats
05-29-2008, 02:27 AM
Can't keep your concentration, huh?
Just drape a cloudy plastic sheet (painter's drop sheet) on the outside.. It'll still let the light in, and it will stop birds from doing their silly Kamikazeeeeeee dives

Phillip Allen
05-29-2008, 05:59 AM
He's at it again this AM and it's just light enough to see...clunk...clunk...clunk...