X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keith Wilson
    Trying to be reasonable
    • Oct 1999

More Furniture Project Pictures

I'm rather pleased with how this one came out, so I'm going to brag a little. Here's my first attempt at a chair. I'm working up to being an old man.

(You can see in the background one of the unfortunate results of having too many cats.)

Technical data: White oak with walnut inlay; laminated rockers and back pieces. The basic dimensions are from a Limbert rocker, but I modified it considerably. The finish is water-based aniline dye, sealed with shellac, then a dark brown glaze, then Rockler gel varnish (wonderful stuff for all those spindles). The damn thing has 92 mortise and tenon joints. You can't really see it in the photos; they seem to be a little out of focus (hides all the defects, don'cha know? ) , but all the structural joints are pinned. It's very comfortable.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 05-22-2008, 10:33 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman
  • C. Ross
    • May 2007

Re: More Furniture Project Pictures

Oh my. Beautiful. Everything about it. Congratulations.

Comment

• Paul Girouard
      Banned
      • May 2005

Nice job!

I asked on your other thread and either I missed it or you didn't answer , did you make your own cushions? If not where and what type of foam , exactly , did you use or have them made out of?

I did read where you said not to use metal springs and I think someone else chimed in about the foam.

Comment

• David G
        • Dec 2003

Keith - very nice indeed. Because I'm too busy building things for clients, or working on boats, we're shopping for a couch now. The kids are old enough that we can scrap the one they trashed growing up and they're (hopefully) smart enough not to trash a nice one. I looked at a Stickly similar to the one you built. I don't know if you've checked pricing, but the Stickley price for that particular couch was over $8,000. Did you keep track of your time? Materials? If so, you can calculate how much you paid yourself to build it< You certainly saved a bundle, and had the fun of putting together some lovely furniture.

"I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin deep. That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?" -- Jean Kerr
        David G
        Harbor Woodworks
        https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• Keith Wilson
          Trying to be reasonable
          • Oct 1999

. . . did you make your own cushions? If not where and what type of foam , exactly , did you use or have them made out of?
          Yes, I made the cushions, on the chair and the couches - twice on the couch, but I've now learned to stay far away from coil springs. They consist of a slab of 1/2" plywood, a piece of foam - (I have no idea what type; I go to the store and sit on samples to find one that feels right) and several layers of polyester batting fastened down with spray adhesive and staples. The cover fabric is wrapped around and stapled to the plywood. If you're careful with the corner folds, it looks good and requires no sewing. Crude but effective.

The reason I started building furniture was the price of genuine Stickley stuff. The little ottoman that I made in couple of relaxed evenings after work would have cost $500. I don't make much per hour, but fortunately I don't have to make a living at it.
          Last edited by Keith Wilson; 05-23-2008, 03:07 PM.
          "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
          for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

Working...