PDA

View Full Version : London to Oz cheap flights

carioca1232001
05-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Malaysian-based Air Asia is spawning out a new business venture by March 2009, that will offer cut-price, no-frills air fares between London and Oz starting at just 350 sterling.

Air Asia got airbone some 6 years ago and since then has been rather successful as a regional air-transport business venture based in Malaysia.

Full story in the link below, for the Ozzies who are awaiting the opportuniy to side-step Qantas and BA and make it cheaply to Europe :

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/article3907708.ece

The Bigfella
05-16-2008, 07:23 PM
The airfare is always the cheap part of the trip though, isn't it. We took the kids to Great Britain in 2001 - and even with two tickets that were free (frequent flyer points), and only having to pay airfares for two adults and one child - and with staying in our motor home / at friends / relatives, we still managed to spend about $25,000 in 3 1/2 weeks. It aint cheap to tour.

carioca1232001
05-16-2008, 08:03 PM
I was under the impression that Qantas held the sway over air-line fares in and out of Oz, or so I was told by an Ozzie some years ago. I found the air-fares quoted me quite ghastly, in view of similar air-miles betwen the US-Europe-Far East.

We had a similar situation here with Varig, Brazilīs premiere flag-carrier, until it went under some 24 months ago. A good parcel due to mismanagement and partly due to freer skies (competition).

Additionally, the current Labour Govt refused to bail out Varig, as they wished to promote one of their own protegés (TAM) to fill the vacuum ! The latter blokes were no more than an air-taxi operation in the early 80īs, when the Labour Party was taking its first steps in the political landscape......solid friendships were welded accordingly !

Yes, I suppose it does matter how you view a holiday overseas, specially in Britain which tops the charts in matter of cost of living. Travel lavishly and the air-fare simply vanishes into the least significant figures of an overall outlay !

The Bigfella
05-16-2008, 08:44 PM
We actually travelled quite frugally on our GB trip - as always. Self catered, etc. But when morning tea at the Tower of London costs you $90.....

carioca1232001
05-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Just pulling your leg, Bigfella, although the high cost of living does not seem to stem the tide of visitors.

Mrleft8
05-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Hell.......... I can do LHR to SYD for........................ $0.00 ;)

The Bigfella
05-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Hell.......... I can do LHR to SYD for........................ $0.00 ;)

Yeah, I've done that twice - frequent flyer points and a work-paid ticket.

carioca1232001
05-17-2008, 08:47 AM
So, Bigfella, who are the cheap air-fare operators aiming at to get their businesses airborne ?

Just the penny-wise - and probably pound-foolish - lot ?

Is there a larger picture ?

I suppose this could be the first time that a no-frills, cheap air-fare airline is threatening to operate from Ozīs shores.

Willing to guess how this may impact your international air-travel industry ?

bamamick
05-17-2008, 08:53 AM
When I went over to Belfast to take the kid to university it seemed that the prices for everything there were very comparable to what we pay in the States, except of course that they were in pounds rather than dollars, with the US dollar valued at .48 cents at the time! My daughter has since visited London and couldn't believe how expensive things were.

Mickey Lake

MarkC
05-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Use the cheaper services at your peril.

They can lead to lost luggage, and difficulties of all types. Perhaps even safety concerns.

I have found that the Qantas service often ends up the better deal.

The Bigfella
05-17-2008, 09:42 AM
I just checked with an online booking agent. Same fare - within $15 or so available with Etihad. I'd want to know whether all taxes and fuel surcharges are there before I'd believe any price too.

Target for these tends to be the young travellers. Plenty of them around.

carioca1232001
05-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Use the cheaper services at your peril.

They can lead to lost luggage, and difficulties of all types. Perhaps even safety concerns.

I have found that the Qantas service often ends up the better deal.

I have friends who fly in and out of Brazil all the time on the major carriers and they complain often about their luggage being lost !

I travelled on Kuwait Airways when it was a fledgling airline inī72 from London to Karachi. The return fare was a miserly 150 quid, against 450 quid on the major carriers.

Prior to shutting the door and starting the engines at Heathrow, a handle-bar-mustachioed British captain walked the length of the wings and the fuselage, peeping at this and that. Found that rather odd, although the captain had ex-RAF WWII vintage written all over him. It then dawned on me that Kuwait Airways probably did not have as lavish a ground staff as the other carriers may have had :rolleyes:

Byī76, Kuwait Airlinesī fares were on level with the other big carriers and any incentive that existed was gone.

carioca1232001
05-18-2008, 09:08 PM
I just checked with an online booking agent. Same fare - within $15 or so available with Etihad. I'd want to know whether all taxes and fuel surcharges are there before I'd believe any price too.

Target for these tends to be the young travellers. Plenty of them around.

Never heard of Etihad, although have flown Emirates, who have recently started operating out of São Paulo, Brazil, non-stop to Dubai.

Besides young travellers, perhaps also package-tour operators give the cut-price airlines business ?

Whatever the make up of the customers, these cut-price airlines, when operated by smart businessmen, are a force to be contended with, not a ram-shackle operation that crumbles upon receiving the first blow.

You might remember the 'box of dirty tricks' that BA allegedly opened, once Bransonīs Virgin Atlantic got off the ground.

Branson won that court case, BA saw itself coughing up heaps in damages, and Virgin raking in stashes of cash.

Now Branson has joined up forces with former employee and current airline tycoon, Tony Fernandes, on Air Asia X.

Qantas may have learnt a thing or two from BAīs hard lesson.

Tanbark Spanker
05-18-2008, 09:49 PM
When did they start allowing Australians back into England?

The Bigfella
05-18-2008, 10:12 PM
When did they start allowing Australians back into England?

When they figured out that they needed help running the place.

carioca1232001
05-18-2008, 10:13 PM
They havenīt !

To begin shipping to Oz again, considering that through the auspices of Virgin Atlantic, shipments to the US have attained the maximum allowable number.;)

Tanbark Spanker
05-18-2008, 10:13 PM
That's a fairly good come back.

carioca1232001
05-18-2008, 10:16 PM
When they figured out that they needed help running the place.

Indeed, yes. Hadnīt thought about this. ;)