PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we lower the speed limit?

Rigadog
05-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Wouldn't this save 5-10% on national gasoline consumption immediately? We did it before and it worked I believe. It would also save a certain number of lives.

StevenBauer
05-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Or better yet why not cars with smaller engines that won't go any faster than 55mph?

Steven

burgermike
05-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Because it won't matter. The damn FED EX truckers will still run us off the damn road like one did to me tonight! I am sure 95% of US truckers are law abinding careful drivers, but I have had three run ins with FedEX trucks here lately, but the incident tonight has me really steamed. Of course there were no ID numbers anywhere to be found on the trailer and I could only get a partial plate number. A call to Fed Ex customer service in the morning will make me feel better.

Memphis Mike
05-15-2008, 11:40 PM
They won't do it because this adminstration is all about profits for the oil companies.... That's why. If you'll notice it hasn't even been suggested by anyone.

That's why I responded to an un-wise comment by another forum member when he said he has to drive 70 to 75 mph to keep up with traffic.

I don't have to drive that fast and the sooner the rest of you GENTS get that through your cotton-pickin' heads the better.

If we cut consumption the price will go down.

The Bigfella
05-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Lowering speed limits COSTS lives. People get bored and become inattentive at lower speeds. That causes more accidents and more deaths.

If you want to lower fuel consumption, increase the price of fuel with a whopping great tax to make people get rid of their gas guzzlers.

Hypothecate the money raised by the tax to renewable energy research.

Memphis Mike
05-16-2008, 12:04 AM
"If you want to lower fuel consumption, increase the price of fuel with a whopping great tax to make people get rid of their gas guzzlers. "

Man you don't understand. People in this country are stuck with their gas guzzlers.

The trade in value of say a Ford Explorer with a big V8 is about 12,000 dollars when they owe 20 thousand. They're trapped.

The car dealers don't want them. It's a perfect situation for GWB and his crooked cronies.

C. Ross
05-16-2008, 12:06 AM
...the sooner the rest of you ignorant ass***** get that through your stupid heads the better.

A new all-purpose Bilge motto?

The Bigfella
05-16-2008, 12:42 AM
If we cut consumption the price will go down.

Once again an American shows the "we're the only ones who count on this planet" attitude.

Mike - the reason that the price of oil has shot up is because there is a growing middle class in two very large countries. The fact that the US is profligate with oil is only a small part of it. Your 300 million people using twice per capita what the rest of the developed world uses is part of it - but your domestic motoring fuel consumption is dwarfed by the growth in demand elsewhere. Your (and to a lesser extent, our) consumption patterns mean we have zero chance of moderating the behaviour in other countries.

America has forgotten how to service international customers too - so the international customers are now supporting other suppliers rather than America. Who in places like Australia - close enough to the equivalent of California for this discussion, and with an economy the same size as Russia - who wants to buy American product with all that entails (different bolt threads, etc) when they can buy less aggravating product from Japan or China.

Paul Girouard
05-16-2008, 01:09 AM
A new all-purpose Bilge motto?

You better be in good / tight with "The scot" if you expect to get away with that sort of post. :rolleyes: Most would get a time out for that. YMMV as does MM, obviously. As he "gets away " with similar posts almost daily.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-16-2008, 01:41 AM

If you want to lower fuel consumption, increase the price of fuel with a whopping great tax to make people get rid of their gas guzzlers.

Hypothecate the money raised by the tax to renewable energy research.

Heard a suggestion - Make the fuel tax directly dependant on the fuel consumption of the individual vehicle.

The proposed mechanism included a "Usb Stick" with a record of fuel bought and miles covered.

You fill the tank with fuel, walk into the shop and insert the stick in a reader - the machine calculates the fuel duty applicable and updates the stick.

No stick - it's $10 per gallon in tax - prove you are getting 60 mpg - $1.50 - looks like an incentive.

martin schulz
05-16-2008, 02:25 AM
Lowering speed limits COSTS lives.

Yes absolutely right! Thats exactly why I am strongly opposing any idea to install a speed limit on the Autobahn!*

*I wonder if the subtle irony comes across

The Bigfella
05-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Some countries are less able to detect irony

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-16-2008, 03:44 AM
speed limit on autobahn in Germany = gun control in USA

martin schulz
05-16-2008, 03:44 AM
Some countries are less able to detect irony

Believe me "free " speed vs. gas consumption and traffic deaths have been discussed in my country for ages - hell I am sure we invented the discussion.

But once the lobbyists gather momentum any sensible discussion is futile.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-16-2008, 03:51 AM
Sadly the day-to-day reality of speed limits in the UK - is that you seldom get anywhere near them - altering the limit would have little or no effect on fuel consumption - but turning the engine off when stationary...

LeeG
05-16-2008, 04:09 AM
isn't the trucking association advocating just that?

Tylerdurden
05-16-2008, 04:11 AM
These pissing in the ocean ideas are useless. We need to rethink community's and mass transit so those who do not wish to drive can live productive comfortable lives without car ownership.

I will gladly give up a vehicle if given a sound alternative.

Only radical change can possibly avert the catastrophe we are headed into.

Bill Lowe
05-16-2008, 04:19 AM
I pass a grade school on my way to and from the boatyard. It has a long line of mothers and a few dads engines running, windows up AC or heat depending on temp. The school buses come in 1/4 th 1/2 full. What gives?

martin schulz
05-16-2008, 06:34 AM
speed limit on autobahn in Germany = gun control in USA

Absolutely right!

There is even an environmental-tax on gas in Germany which has been introduced by the last socialdemocrat-government. Unfortunately in contrast to what has been promised this tax is not solely used for environmental issues, but to secure the pensions. The conservatives have been opposed to this "treehugger-tax" from the beginning, but funnily once they were in office they suddenly didn't have a problem with this tax bringing in money.

Now the automotive lobby (the ADAC is a club for cars with about 16 million member) is again protesting against this "treehugger-tax".

Nicholas Scheuer
05-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Self-regulation is doing just that!

It's not universal by any stretch, but 18-wheelers are running WAY slower than they used to. It's odd to see a bunch of semis jogging along at about 55-60, and along comes a semi diriver who "hasn't gotten the message", passing them all like they're standing still.

Nearly all of them are shutting down their diesels at rest stops, too.

Moby Nick

martin schulz
05-16-2008, 06:47 AM
The usual routine over here:

1. school
2. around 18 one gets a car (as a present from the parents if you are a girl, or bought by yourself if you are a guy)
3. apprenticeship at a company (3 years)
4. fixed job with the same company
5. once the job is fixed -> bank loan (new car, new house, furniture)
6. then house & kids somewhere in the outskirts (because city traffic is dangerous for kids)
7. which leads to permanently driving your car (to shop at an outskirt mall, to transport your kids, to get in the city for dinner...)
8. which leads to complains about the stuffed cities, the gas prices and to demands to once again create a law providing subsidies for commuters...*

*of course all public transportation has long been disestablished, because everyone insists on driving his own car (except old people who are unable to drive a car and are now stuck in suburbs without any means to buy essential stuff).

Doesn't this sound totally perverse?

Flying Orca
05-16-2008, 06:52 AM

Yes. Well, perverse AND normal, if something can be both.

Chalk me up in favour of reduced speed limits AND carbon tax.

PeterSibley
05-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Driving a Mack at 50mph v 65mph would save maybe just enough to make the payments on the rig .Those things are as aerodynamic as a barn door .
Anyone who tells you that driving slowly doesn't save fuel has never tried it .

PeterSibley
05-16-2008, 06:54 AM

It sounds totally Australian !

martin schulz
05-16-2008, 07:08 AM
But then coming to this board to talk about environmental issues always makes me relax a bit, because you guys are so far behind that I should be able to lean back and smile...unfortunately problems like polution, depleting resources and climate changes don't stop at US borders :(

C. Ross
05-16-2008, 07:18 AM
You better be in good / tight with "The scot" if you expect to get away with that sort of post. :rolleyes: Most would get a time out for that. YMMV as does MM, obviously. As he "gets away " with similar posts almost daily.

If Scot disciplines for quoting other people's hot blooded comments, I'm destined for solitary confinement!

Tar Devil
05-16-2008, 07:53 AM
I drive 110 miles round trip to work everyday on the interstate.

No question in my mind... folks are slowing down.

I concur with burgermikes sentiments about FedX drivers. I've never in my life seen more aggresive, dangerous road rage than what I've seen from FedX trucks. I've written the company... as you would imagine, no response.

Rigadog
05-16-2008, 08:04 AM
So humans really do have some ability to self-regulate after all... But the least this venal administration could do is to educate the public as to the relationship between speed and fuel consumption. I'm not sure the public as a whole understands this.

Gary E
05-16-2008, 08:12 AM
who wants to buy American product with all that entails (different bolt threads, etc) when they can buy less aggravating product from Japan or China.

When will you send those Detroit Diesels back?
I'll give you my address.

Katherine
05-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Driving a Mack at 50mph v 65mph would save maybe just enough to make the payments on the rig .Those things are as aerodynamic as a barn door .
Anyone who tells you that driving slowly doesn't save fuel has never tried it .Most of the big trucking fleets already have governors on their trucks.

Tar Devil
05-16-2008, 08:31 AM
110 miles? :eek::eek::eek: Around here, 110 miles would be about four hours per day.

All interstate, so it's about 65 minutes each way. But talk about a financial burden...

Saltiguy
05-16-2008, 08:42 AM
I think the real reason for the increase in the price of oil (aside from the usual manipulation) is the low value of the dollar.
I'm not smart enough to understand international finance - (it makes my head hurt), but isn't this a big factor?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-16-2008, 08:49 AM
In the UK we have speed limits in "Miles Per Hour" - this is possibly the world's stupidest unit.

Question: A man is sitting in a car making 60 "Miles Per Hour" - in one hour's time how far will he have travelled.

Answer - How would I know? - perhaps he got to his destination - perhaps he was flattened by a truck - could he be stuck in a traffic jam...

See - stupid unit - people have suggested "Feet (or meters) per Second" - which is slightly better as peering one second into the future is much more reasonable....BUT

I have a new one - The "Megajoule" - engineers will recognise this - it has many benefits:

Firstly it makes no false promises about arrival times - secondly it is related directly to the amount of energy expended.

And lastly - it places a limit on the damage a vehicle can do in an accident - consider a speed limit of 1 Megajoule

A one ton small car would be allowed almost one hundred mph in old money.
A Three ton SUV would be restricted to 58 mph
A half ton motorcycle - would be allowed 142 mph

Reasonable highway limits.....

pipefitter
05-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Try selling these to a 55mph speed limit.
http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/T/S/2007_BMW_M6_conv.JPG

martin schulz
05-16-2008, 09:19 AM

It'll work if the guy buying the car has a toupee (which guys able to afford such cars and eager to show off in them usually have).

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-16-2008, 09:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHfEMM2O3t8

martin schulz
05-16-2008, 09:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHfEMM2O3t8

:) :) :)

jack grebe
05-16-2008, 09:33 AM
http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/T/S/2007_BMW_M6_conv.JPG
Well last week my 325i got a whooping 37 mpg......
Of course it was "drafting" behind the MH:D.
And YES, I did lower the speed limit on I95 on the way
up, 50-55 mph max.....and a lot of pizzed off
drivers behind me:rolleyes:.

The Bigfella
05-16-2008, 09:53 AM
My two sons are polar opposites when it comes to driving. I drove the youngest to his after-school job today and got berated twice for over enthusiastic acceleration out of a roundabout. Yeah OK, so it was full throttle ......

George Roberts
05-16-2008, 09:54 AM
I agree with Paul Pless' comments in post #38.

I can easily drive Oklahoma to northern Michigan in one day at 75mph. Driving at 55 I would need to rent a room for the night - there goes any gas savings.

About: 1100 miles, 36 gallons of gas, 30mpg, $137 for gas. A room for $50 would require an increase to 45mpg. It also involves 4 hours more of driving time at 55. If time is money well ...

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Well last week my 325i got a whooping 37 mpg......
Of course it was "drafting" behind the MH:D.
And YES, I did lower the speed limit on I95 on the way
up, 50-55 mph max.....and a lot of pizzed off
drivers behind me:rolleyes:.

The "Drafting", what separation, and what units?

Paul Pless
05-16-2008, 10:13 AM
The "Drafting", what separation, and what units?Probably safe to assume the draft was a little tighter during the North Carolina portion of his trip.

pipefitter
05-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Many cars have a sweet spot somewhere around 55 mph or 2k rpms. Over 2k rpms, my Ford Exploder starts sucking fuel. The rpms where it runs the quietest, loses the least amount of rpms at overpasses seems to be it's sweet spot. I try to set the cruise to that speed which ends up being about 57mph. A smaller vehicle doesn't work for me being I have to haul the dog and my tools everywhere I go pretty much plus to be able to tow the boat reliably without beating a smaller vehicle. On a good day, I can squeeze 16-17mpg out of it. Plus, the v-6 is a reliable engine and the vehicle has the tow package which helps. My bronco, a hi output v-8, can get 15-17 mpg if I keep my foot out of the secondaries on the spreadbore Holley, again, running it at it's sweet spot. In the secondaries a few times per trip, lowers it to around 8 mpg. I drive 1/3rd the amount I used to by grouping my trips. It has made the most difference in what I pay for gas overall. Soon, I will opt for 4/10 hr days at work, which will take 34 miles off per week and more time at my daily destination for the buck. No, I don't plan on spending the 5th day driving around. Modern traffic doesn't allow for conservative driving. They have a technicality in the state of Florida for driving with the flow to alleviate of all things, road rage. You can't cruise at the speed limit in the fast lane which makes sense but how it is acceptable to drive 20 over in that lane is beyond me which is what most people are using it for and are now taking it to the other lanes. People that speed on average commutes under say 30 miles, either can't tell time, do basic math or both. If they are in a hurry, chances are they are always late anyway and use this tactic to make up for their time screwing off instead of leaving a few minutes earlier.

BrianW
05-16-2008, 11:43 AM
I recall my father had a '65(ish) Impala which had a large vacuum gauge mounted in the dash. Seems it would be little trouble to add a fuel flow meter to most cars these days. Even my Suzuki outboard has a fuel flow meter.

Come to think of it, the wifes SUV has a mph readout, but it's located on the overhead center console, and not easy to monitor.

Memphis Mike
05-16-2008, 11:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZtToyD1nI&feature=related

Gary E
05-16-2008, 12:10 PM
I recall my father had a '65(ish) Impala which had a large vacuum gauge mounted in the dash. Seems it would be little trouble to add a fuel flow meter to most cars these days. Even my Suzuki outboard has a fuel flow meter.

Come to think of it, the wifes SUV has a mph readout, but it's located on the overhead center console, and not easy to monitor.

I find it hard to imagine why anyone cared in 1965, or even into the mid 70's ...
gas was 30cents a gal... sometimes a lot less.

High C
05-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Probably safe to assume the draft was a little tighter during the North Carolina portion of his trip.

:D :D

Dan McCosh
05-16-2008, 03:12 PM
I find it hard to imagine why anyone cared in 1965, or even into the mid 70's ...
gas was 30cents a gal... sometimes a lot less.

Minimum wage was 85 cents an hour. Close to a day's pay to fill up the tank.

Gary E
05-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Minimum wage was 85 cents an hour. Close to a day's pay to fill up the tank.

and those min wage people had a car?.. with a means to measure gas milage? commmon ....

Dan McCosh
05-16-2008, 03:21 PM
and those min wage people had a car?.. with a means to measure gas milage? commmon ....
I did.

Couple of other cost items:

Tires lasted about 15,000 miles
Brakes less than 10,000 miles.
Spark plugs 3,000 miles, then needed cleaning.
Ditto points and condenser.
Lubrication every 2,000 miles.
Ditto oil change.
valve job at 50,000 miles.

And so on...

Tylerdurden
05-16-2008, 03:28 PM
I love it some zippy from Grosse Point telling everyone not to worry its better now than it was before. Too funny:D

Gary E
05-16-2008, 03:30 PM
I did.

Couple of other cost items:

Tires lasted about 15,000 miles
Brakes less than 10,000 miles.
Spark plugs 3,000 miles, then needed cleaning.
Ditto points and condenser.
Lubrication every 2,000 miles.
Ditto oil change.
valve job at 50,000 miles.

And so on...

You must have had some real junk...

I started buying new cars in 1966... Replaced the cars every 1 to 2 yrs with aprox 80 to 100,000 mi... NEVER did I have the frequent repairs replacement schudule you posted...

Tires lasted 40 to 60,000
Brakes about the same as tires.
but there was the 67 Ford that had over 60,000 when the brakes were changed...
Oil and grease was 5,000 mi
Plugs points etc every 15k
Never had to do a valve job...

jbelow
05-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Will not help enough . The solution to reduce fuel cost is in the hands of the consumer. It is our fault that fuel prices are what they are . Do not blame the oil companys , government , or the big oil producing countries . Our consumtion of fuel dictates the price of fuel . It is a supply and demand issue . The more we demand the higher the price , the less we demand the lower the price. I would like to see gasoline jump to $10.00 a gal.

glenallen
05-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Why wait? Go ahead and pay $10 now! They will take your money.

Ross M
05-17-2008, 11:10 AM
When it comes to drastic actions, rationing might be preferable to reduced speed limits.

If this is really the crisis situation portrayed by many here, why screw around with half measures?

Besides - I really do not like being asked to waste even more life in traffic, mostly to help people that, amazingly, find themselves upside down on a 5,500 Lb. grocery getter with 24 Sq.Ft. of frontal area and a Cd of .5 :D

Ross

Tar Devil
05-17-2008, 11:37 AM
We need more imaginative ways to slow folks down...

Caution: Adult content
Danish Speed Bandits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJUaL8fTLwc)

jbelow
05-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Why wait? Go ahead and pay $10 now! They will take your money.

glenallen , expand your mind . Move to Vidor!

glenallen
05-19-2008, 01:53 AM
glenallen , expand your mind . Move to Vidor!

I just saw your post.
Vidor? I don't think so.
If I had to live east of the Brazos I'd go somewhere along the Sabine in the piney woods. But I don't have to, thanks to proper planning.:D

glenallen
05-19-2008, 02:05 AM
We need more imaginative ways to slow folks down...

Caution: Adult content
Danish Speed Bandits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJUaL8fTLwc)

It would take me three days to get to town if we had those babes strung along the highway around here. And it's only four miles!

The Bigfella
05-19-2008, 03:39 AM
The old speed bumps eh?

glenallen
05-19-2008, 03:49 AM
New and improved speed bumps!:D

sawcutmill
05-19-2008, 06:14 AM
the roads around here , have speed bumps already, they are called "PotHoles"! try driving here in Road Island, speed is never an issue, just the lack of it.
You can only go as fast a s the car in front of you!

Dan McCosh
05-19-2008, 07:23 AM
You must have had some real junk...

I started buying new cars in 1966... Replaced the cars every 1 to 2 yrs with aprox 80 to 100,000 mi... NEVER did I have the frequent repairs replacement schudule you posted...

Tires lasted 40 to 60,000
Brakes about the same as tires.
but there was the 67 Ford that had over 60,000 when the brakes were changed...
Oil and grease was 5,000 mi
Plugs points etc every 15k
Never had to do a valve job...

I was driving 1950s cars in the 1960s. My daughter drove a 1965 Mustang for about five years in the late 1980s, and was a little startled to find that the maintenance schedule was about what I posted.

Gary E
05-19-2008, 07:48 AM
So you were driving 10 plus yr old cars....and had the unfortunate experience of not knoowing anything about how the first several owners before you took care of them.

Valve jobs?.. really ???

Mrleft8
05-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Nobody drives the speed limit now, nobody would drive it if it were lower. The whole concept of "defensive driving", "rules of the road", "courtesy to your fellow driver", are clearly obsolete. It used to be that if you felt that you'd be jamming the brakes if you tried to stop when the traffic light turned yellow, you kept going. Now it seems people only stop if the light is already red, or if they think the opposing light hasn't turned green yet (usually yapping on a cell phone). Someone is going to get T-boned and soon. The yellow line in the center of the road used to delineate the sides of the road. You take your side, I'll stay on mine. Now it gets treated like a mono-rail (usually by bubble headed bleach blondes with a cell phone glued to their ear). People used to use their direction signals, now they just turn (usually crossing right in front of you so you need to stand on the brakes). Nobody (except the jerk in front of me) drives the speed limit anymore. I usually have some young snotnosed punk driving up my bumper when I'm going 10MPH over the speed limit.
It's not just here either. I saw it in Fla. Va. N.C. Ga. Vt. N.Y. N.J.......

Paul Pless
05-19-2008, 08:01 AM
I saw it in Fla. Va. N.C. Ga. Vt. N.Y. N.J.......So you spend a lot of time on I-95, eh?

Mrleft8
05-19-2008, 08:04 AM
So you spend a lot of time on I-95, eh?

Not if I can help it, but it's pretty much the only way to get from here to Margos...;)

cs
05-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Nobody (except the jerk in front of me) drives the speed limit anymore. I usually have some young snotnosed punk driving up my bumper when I'm going 10MPH over the speed limit.

You know those guys also? They must get around. When they are not in front of you or on your bumper, they are doing the same to me. ;)

Chad

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-19-2008, 08:19 AM
I agree with pipefitter - 2000 rpm is about right for my car. Not more than 2,300 and not less than 1,500.

The Bigfella
05-19-2008, 08:38 AM
I agree with pipefitter - 2000 rpm is about right for my car. Not more than 2,300 and not less than 1,500.

I prefer driving in the 4,000 - 7,200 range. Much more fun.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-19-2008, 08:39 AM
How many miles do you get out of a tyre?:D

paladin
05-19-2008, 08:45 AM
I just went to my second set at 80,000 miles......did the brakes and the 75K checkup at the same time.

The Bigfella
05-19-2008, 08:46 AM
The worst I ever got out of a tyre was 3,500km - and at that stage I got booked for a bald tyre. IIRC - and it was about 1980, after all, it was a Pirelli Phantom - on the rear of my R90S. All highway miles too. The cop who booked me gave me a choice - overtaking with no indicator, speeding or bald tyre. The miserable sod was following me at 11pm at night with no lights on up near Bathurst. I took the tyre ticket (no demerit points, cheapest fine) - but he was right, it was down to an illegal depth in the centre.

I got less than 4,000 km out of a set of front brake pads too - company car, TD Cortina with a 4.1 litre engine and front brake pads about 2" square. I boiled the brake fluid in that car too, going down Dorrigo Mountain.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Very nice bike, that.

I have a sailing friend, a respectable, car driving, chartered accountant, the Treasurer, indeed, of the Nancy Blackett Trust, who, on leaving a firm, was presented with a bottle of whisky with the words "We were going to give you a set of tyres, but this will last longer!":D

Gary E
05-19-2008, 09:06 AM
So..does that mean neither the tires or your booze is worth warm spit?

The Bigfella
05-19-2008, 09:06 AM
I must admit - I gave the tyres on my car a workout today. I did manage to get them to slide the other day. A bit naughty really, because my eldest son was in the car at the time - but as I said to him - you have to pick the right time and place to do it -which has always been my mantra on the road.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Back when the world was a slightly younger place - I had possibly the worlds most deranged production car - a Citroen Visa GT - this has so many strange features that I'll concentrate on just the wheels and tyres.

A metric diameter rim - so that only a single manufacturer made tyres that fitted - these were of course stocked only as a special order...

These precious, and rare as rocking horse droppings, things stuck to the road like most folk would not believe - but would expire in 5,000 miles - a shame 'cos I was covering 40K per annum...

Tealsmith
05-19-2008, 09:50 AM
We don't lower the speed limit because that is easy, and it makes sense. The gov't never does easy things that makes sense.

George Roberts
05-19-2008, 10:16 AM
"... and it makes sense."

As I keep pointing out, it does not make economic sense. But ...

If lowering the speed limit makes sense, getting rid of cars and using bicycles makes more sense. Just try to bicycle rather than drive for a week or so. Do the bicycling on a 105 degree day or a 20 degree day depending on your location. Do it carrying 2 or 3 toddlers and a weeks worth of groceries.