PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen or experienced a ghost?

Rigadog
05-14-2008, 03:38 PM
We have one in our upstairs apartment from time to time. I've heard him, (footfalls) but not seen him. He's a bit mischevious - turns around jars on the kitchen shelves when our tenant isn't looking. We don't mention him to prospective renters.

Phillip Allen
05-14-2008, 03:41 PM
yep

Tylerdurden
05-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Having been raised in a house built in the 1760's I can say I believe there is more out there than meets the eye.

Tom Montgomery
05-14-2008, 04:17 PM
My mother swears that my deceased father appeared next to her one day as she was driving to work. She says the experience was comforting to her.

bamamick
05-14-2008, 05:05 PM
No I haven't, but I have experienced what they call having a premonition many, many times. All of my life, in fact. In every case it is just seeing some everyday, mundane event or scene and then have it happen exactly as you dreamt it. Over the years I have come to associate this stuff with bad news somehow and will almost always freeze up and not say a word until the recognition passes.

Does anyone else have this happen?

Mickey Lake

Joe (SoCal)
05-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Having lived in a 1725 house where 5 revolutinary soldiers were killed in the cellar if anybody should have had experienced ghosts I should have. I didn't.

Tylerdurden
05-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Having lived in a 1725 house where 5 revolutinary soldiers were killed in the cellar if anybody should have had experienced ghosts I should have. I didn't.

Brain dead cannot have such experiences. Your fine, go back to sleep.

Joe (SoCal)
05-14-2008, 06:11 PM
I do know of one wee banshee that follows me around the woodenboat forum making an ass out if themselves and collecting ridicule while unwittingly single handedly contributing to the AAJ phenomenon :D

Edit to add: Cue Paris photo so the banshee can ruin yet anouther perfectly normal thread :rolleyes:
WBN Why Be Negitive

Dutch
05-14-2008, 06:22 PM
No I haven't, but I have experienced what they call having a premonition many, many times. All of my life, in fact. In every case it is just seeing some everyday, mundane event or scene and then have it happen exactly as you dreamt it. Over the years I have come to associate this stuff with bad news somehow and will almost always freeze up and not say a word until the recognition passes.

Does anyone else have this happen?

Mickey Lake

I believe Joseph Heller called this PRES VOUS

John B
05-14-2008, 06:27 PM
I dunno, I'm conflicted between the Nanna with all the Irish names strung together knowing strange stuff in advance ,and a more pragmatic recognition of experience aka age, forecasting probability and possibilty.
What I do know is that someone or something regularly leaves the toilet seat up and its not me or my son.

John B
05-14-2008, 06:28 PM
and thats my story and I'm staying with it.

mmd
05-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Not so much as having experienced a ghost, but I have experienced phenomena that I can't explain satisfactorily. Fer instance, I am currently renting a house in Yarmouth from a fellow Forumite. A couple of odd things have happened recently that have me mystified.

Last October, while I was in another room, I heard a loud crash in the bedroom. On investigation, I discovered a picture that had been hanging on the wall was now laying on the floor, broken. The hanger was still on the wall in good condition. The wire on the back of the frame was intact and strong. All doors & windows were closed, so no sudden breeze was the culprit. No critter but me was in the house, and there were no outside influences such as wind gusts, passing heavy trucks, earth tremblors, etc. Very odd.

On Monday evening past I was outside putting the garbage out. When I came back in I discovered that a light bulb had been ejected from the chandelier over the table in the living room and had broken on the table. The light fixture was not turned on at the time, and the bulbs are inserted upright in the fixture. Nobody else was in the house. The light had been working properly the evening before.

Curiouser and curiouser...

kharee
05-14-2008, 07:18 PM
About 30 years ago I had an experience that made me a believer. On two occasions I was napping after work while cooking. I had had a few beers.

The pilot light went out on the stove. The house was filling with gas.

My Big Mama weight about 350 lbs. Both times I heard her walking through her old creaky house. Waking up I saw this spectral type image of Big Mama at the bed room door.
After the second time I cleaned the stove burners. I never saw Big Mama again. But I believe.

CK 17
05-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Nope. ditto for UFO's and talking in tongues. . .

Tylerdurden
05-14-2008, 08:24 PM
I do know of one wee banshee that follows me around the woodenboat forum making an ass out if themselves and collecting ridicule while unwittingly single handedly contributing to the AAJ phenomenon :D

Edit to add: Cue Paris photo so the banshee can ruin yet anouther perfectly normal thread :rolleyes:
WBN Why Be Negitive

As the subject is about what we believe. I believe you seem more comfortable hiding behind mommy's skirts. Its nice when women feel sorry for you and come to your aid.

Ted Hoppe
05-14-2008, 08:28 PM
I used to work in a turn of the century almost hip semi-restored cigar factory which had some strange phenomenon happen nearly every day. Video equipment would fly off shelves, strange feelings of being watched from behind one's back and cold drafts in stuffy :eek:rooms on warm days ect. The owners brought in several shamen and a regarded spiritualist to “clean the building" which included burning sage and rice in the corners. They did this on weekends as not to spook the employees. Anyway one day at work and while eating lunch in the main room with some coworkers, I saw an female appearing apparition in a white nearly transparent glowing robes come and pat the coworker on her head. I stared at it for a tenth second then mentioned it to her. We both looked up at the same time to see this ghostly hand pull away. In a flash it ran through her and me leaving us quite cold and into a bright shaft of sun light in the corner of the large room. Then the next week I was working late and was the last one leaving when I heard what sounded like wind and when I really listened to it, it was saying "Get out!" over and over again. I took it as a sign as it was the second time. I went home to think about me working there. The next day, early in the morning there was a shoot out between several gang members right outside the company's main door. I soon gave notice a day later because of this, my safety and that the bosses were freaky, cheap, and creepy businessmen and the job was in the east Oakland ghetto surrounded by crack houses. Ever since then, I made a decision to only own old boats (old salty spirits like it when you make their home more pleasant) and live in new houses.

skuthorp
05-14-2008, 09:08 PM
As a kid we saw one in the house, but he was just passing through and not connected to the house. Mum knew about him, but as I got older I no longer saw him.
When my dad died there was still a presence in his kitchen, it was warm where all else was cold as he'd been gone from the house for about 7 months. His best friend and I could feel a presence. We stood in the kitche, had a beer and told him that everthing was OK, in controll and he could go if he liked now. Ten minutes later the room was as cold as the rest of the house.
I don't know, don't believe in an afterlife or a god or anything really, but there it is, it might be interesting after all.

LeeG
05-14-2008, 09:13 PM
only when I was stoned

botebum
05-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Interesting that more people around here seem to believe in ghosts than in God. I don't hold much faith in either but I still have respect for those that do.

Doug

Woxbox
05-14-2008, 11:05 PM
I was driving down a country road one night when something fluttered across the road ahead of me. It looked exactly the way ghosts are often portrayed in movies and cartoons. I blinked and looked a little more carefully. It was a barn owl.

That's as close as you'll ever get to seeing a ghost, folks.

Paul Girouard
05-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Interesting that more people around here seem to believe in ghosts than in God. I don't hold much faith in either but I still have respect for those that do.

Doug

I was noticing that as well , and those that don't believe in God and are quite adamant about that ,,,,seem to be the ones "seeing" the ghosts/ with a "more" vivid / longer storey to tell , maybe God's got somethin ta do with that eh!

Coo-coo clocks :confused: me thinks yes:rolleyes: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/dirtbox/pics/muttley.gif

jbelow
05-14-2008, 11:25 PM
I've did the research . There aint no such thing as ghost. My wife was an E.R. nurse for many years and seen many people die and no ghost. Talk to any funeral home director , grave digger , embalmer or anyone that deals with death on a daily bases and they will tell you they have never seen a ghost.

boylesboats
05-14-2008, 11:28 PM
My father quoted to me once " if you wouldn't be so mean, you wouldn't be scared"....

I haven't seen any ghost(s) or something phenomena... yet..

When I look at an possible rental house to move into..
I'll sniff the air and asked the landlord "who died here"?... Keep an eye contact to their response.. Sometime you can smell death..

Hospitals is an wonderful place to find ghosts of wandering souls who died there.. Oooooooo creepy:eek:

But, I do believes my mother's spirit is watching over me..

skuthorp
05-14-2008, 11:34 PM
"those that don't believe in God and are quite adamant about that ,,,,seem to be the ones "seeing" the ghosts"

I was around 5, mum was probably having me on about one of those half dreams. Dad though? As for god, as yet not proven, and I may yet change my mind, who knows. Being blindly anchored to disbelief is as bad as the opposite. Questioning is important.
I have a feeling that some sort of awareness of an 'other' is built into most humans psyche, expressed as 'faith' if you like. Maybe a coping mechanism for circumstances like Burma and China, maybe more than that.
It's religion that's the problem, the franchise peddlers and power hungry.

Joe (SoCal)
05-15-2008, 01:29 AM
As the subject is about what we believe. I believe you seem more comfortable hiding behind mommy's skirts. Its nice when women feel sorry for you and come to your aid.

As with many of your beliefs and conspiracys, this is just one more made up belief of yours thats based on your own false fantasy

L.W. Baxter
05-15-2008, 01:47 AM
I've never seen one but allow me to link this ghost-related musical interlude which means absolutely nothing but sounds super cool, for your edification.

Band of Horses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLMTtSfYSm8)

skuthorp
05-15-2008, 01:57 AM
There's a musical ghost at a theatre in Melbourne. Federici, a baritone who died of a heart attack in the last moment of Faust as he disappeared down the stage trapdoor to hades. Regular sightings.

Larks
05-15-2008, 02:54 AM
At a recent conference on paranormal activity which was very well attanded one speaker discussing poltergeists asked for a raise of hands to see how many in the audience had experenced some sort of experience with ghosts.

About 80 percent of the audience raised their hands.

To narrow it down he asked how many had actually seen a ghost.

Quite a few hands went down but there were still at least 50 percent with their hands in the air.

To narrow it down again he asked how many had actually come into any sort of actual physical contact with a ghost.

At that most of the hands went down but there were still a good dozen or so raised.

Finally he asked if anyone in the audience had been involved in sexual intercourse with a ghost.

The audience were quite surprised by the question and a bit of a murmer went up as hands were lowered but one hand at the back of the audience was still raised.

The speaker asked the man with his hand raised to come forward and when he got to the stage the speaker asked him to elaborate: "So you have actually had sexual intercourse with ghost have you sir???"

"Ghost?" the man responded slightly surprised, "I thought you said goat!!"

skuthorp
05-15-2008, 03:02 AM
Saw(?): a shape with a hat on
Goat: Aw, now you've made me go all coy.

Dutch
05-15-2008, 08:35 AM
"I thought you said goat!!"

Now thats funny!

TomF
05-15-2008, 08:49 AM
It's an everyday occurrence for my daughter.

In her opinion, the people don't appear to know they're dead, and primarily seem to want to interact with us. And sadly, don't quite understand why we (who they see very well) don't seem to see or pay attention to them.

The most common thing she finds is that they stand where you will have to walk through them to go down a hall, or at the top of the stairs etc. When she (or recently, my youngest) sees them and is understandably reluctant to walk through them ... the ghosts know they've been noticed, and tend to follow her around.

No, I don't experience this myself, but I've no reason to doubt my daughter - who's otherwise a very "together" and level-headed young woman. This has been a reality in her life since she was very young indeed, and one which she'd much prefer not to have.

I've come to think that perhaps a sensitivity to such things might be a sense that most of us have lost, but still has some genetic traces. Seems fairly common along my wife's bloodline ... on the Russian side, rather than the English/Aus side.

t

Rigadog
05-15-2008, 09:12 AM
I have a theory that man's belief in an afterlife grew out of real experience, the sort of experience we're discussing here.

Say that you are in a small group, a tribe of hunter-gatherers. One of your small band, (let's call him "Yaz") gets flattened by a Mammoth during the hunt. Everyone saw it happen, it was horrible. That night as you huddle round the fire remembering Yaz, -- "hey, remember the time Yaz got stung by the bees when he climbed the honey tree?" Then Yaz, appears, looks around at them and to their astonishment walks through the fire an disappears. He's seen again the next afternoon by a group of women by a stream. He's eeen a few more times over the following weeks until he's sen no more. The consensus among the tribe is that somehow something of Yaz lives on, and a great deal of thought is put into constructing a framework to explain this. It is this urge to explain become religion. Almost all religions have at their core a belief in an afterlife.

I also think that ghost/spirit experiences we a good deal more common in the past. The world was so much less crowded with the living, and very little separated us from nature, and the wonder of the night sky.

Rigadog
05-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Tom F. The bit about it coming down from Russian heritage I find very interesting. I once heard an explanation why there seems to be a greater degree of ability to experience the paranormal among Russians. The explanation is that unlike most of Europe, so-called witches were no persecuted there to the same degree. This implies a genetic component.

I knew a woman who was 1/4 American Indian whose daughter was very in touch with these things. As a small child she would remark at the various colored auras she saw around people. She also claimed to have visits from he dead grandparents, who would express their concern for her mother, which she relayed. I knew this little girl when she was about 8 and there was something very special about her, she seemed old beyond her years. I learned from her mom that she had almost died as an infant. A man broke into the her bedroom one night, raped her in her crib, and tried to smother her with a pillow. She survived, and being so young, had no conscious memory of this, but she often had nightmares where attempted to fended off her attacker.

To finish the story, the young man, a neighbor, who himself had been raped as a child, was sent to prison. When word got out about what he had done, some inmates took matters into their own hands and killed him.

BrianY
05-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Why do ghosts only seem to appear at night?

brad9798
05-15-2008, 04:09 PM
I have, and it was an animal ... a pet my parents had before I was born ...

I was in the room where the animal took its last breath, I was about eight (8) years old ... when I told my dad: "Whose cat is that ... his name is Tom ... and he is sad ... laying in the corner ... "

Kind of shook my dad a bit ... as I went on to describe exactly what happened the night he passed ... and I never knew him, heard of him, etc.

In my last house, there was a little boy named Scott ... old wife and I got to know 'Scott" pretty well ... lived above the microwave in the cabinets ... or, at least that's where he entered our world/home!

I could go on, but most think I am nuts by now! ;)

bob winter
05-15-2008, 04:24 PM
I have never seen a ghost or a UFO, for that matter, but that does not preclude the existance of either. I did have one odd experience years ago. The actual story is longer than I care to type, but in a nutshell, a very good friend of mine was killed in a traffic accident one Saturday night. At that time I was sound asleep in bed at my grandmother's house which was about 125 miles away from the site of the accident. At about 11:30 PM I heard my friend calling me and he called so loud that I sat up in bed wide awake. Nothing else happened, so I went back to sleep. For whatever reason, I did not listen to the news on the weekend. When I drove back to the Soo, where I had a summer job, my father advised me that my friend had been killed on Saturday night. I immediately phoned his family and discovered that the story was true.

I have had a couple of other strange experiences, but nothing compared to the one surrounding my friend's death.

TomF
05-15-2008, 04:27 PM
The daughter says ghosts don't only come round at night by any means - she sees them pretty much everywhere ... School, home, etc. But they're somewhat transparent, and much easier to see with less glare.

T

Leon m
05-15-2008, 04:31 PM
After my dad died when I was 18 I had a dream he was trying call me on the phone and he was crying cause he could'nt get a hold of me. For three nights after that dream I would get a call at 3:33 am and nobody was on the other end. On the third night I said "I love you dad" and the calls ended.

boylesboats
05-15-2008, 04:40 PM
BOO! :D
>
>
>
>
>
>

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p182/boylesboats/Vampire001fantasyhorrorartwallpaper.jpg

Rigadog
05-15-2008, 10:42 PM
My brother-in-law rented a house in West Virginia where he went to college. The previous owners were an elderly couple who had passed on. I guess he rented the house from their kids, anyway, the couple's stuff was still in the house, just like they left it. There was an armoire in the bathroom where my brother-in-law was taking a bath. He said that the doors opened and the clothes began moving as if someone was looking for an outfit to wear.

David G
05-15-2008, 10:46 PM
No ghosts I can recall - but one very interesting (coincidence?).

Living with my girlfriend in Astoria, Oregon. Planned for months for a backpacking trip into the Cascades, east of Eugene (our old stomping grounds). The night before we're due to leave, she's practicing her fiddle, and I'm reading. I look up and say, "I don't know why, but I'd really like to change this trip to the Olympics - and stop and see my grandmother on the way (Aberdeen, Washington)". I hadn't seen her for over a year.

Being the sweetie she is, girlfriend says fine. We go, have a nice visit with granny. She takes me on her evening "walk", which consists of barhopping her way around the neighborhood. Has a short beer at 5 different places - where they all know and enjoy her. She goes to bed after saying how happy she is I visited. Next morning we're off. Ten days later, we swing by and there's no answer from her apartment. I buzz the manager. Apparently, granny had died the day we left, in the managers arms, after asking for me. Sheer dumb luck, or... ? I've always wondered what inspired me to change my plans at the last minute like that.

"She was a woman who, between courses, could be graceful with her elbows on the table" -- Henry James

S B
05-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Not so much as having experienced a ghost, but I have experienced phenomena that I can't explain satisfactorily. Fer instance, I am currently renting a house in Yarmouth from a fellow Forumite. A couple of odd things have happened recently that have me mystified.

Last October, while I was in another room, I heard a loud crash in the bedroom. On investigation, I discovered a picture that had been hanging on the wall was now laying on the floor, broken. The hanger was still on the wall in good condition. The wire on the back of the frame was intact and strong. All doors & windows were closed, so no sudden breeze was the culprit. No critter but me was in the house, and there were no outside influences such as wind gusts, passing heavy trucks, earth tremblors, etc. Very odd.

On Monday evening past I was outside putting the garbage out. When I came back in I discovered that a light bulb had been ejected from the chandelier over the table in the living room and had broken on the table. The light fixture was not turned on at the time, and the bulbs are inserted upright in the fixture. Nobody else was in the house. The light had been working properly the evening before.

Curiouser and curiouser...
Here that would be considered a token, not necessarly from the dead. Usually associated with some traumatic event happening somewhere else. Plenty of verifiable accounts of the phenomenon here.

S B
05-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Why do ghosts only seem to appear at night?
wrong. I have seen what is normally refered to as a ghost, no explanation for the event, nothing spooky, scary or hollywood about the experience. The event was witnessed by other people present and it was in daylight. It is just one of those things that I cannot explain.

Rigadog
05-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Leon M. - That's a spooky story....

I had a strange experience when my grandmother died. She was in a nursing home in Charlottesville, Va. and I was going to college at UVa. We were close, I had lived with her for awhile when I was a teen. Anyway, one night I went to bed and had a weird dream (this is going to sound silly). I was in ancient Egypt, entering the Great Pyramid with my older sister who is named after my grandmother, and who had also lived with her as a teen. We were holding hands in this dark passageway, that inclined downward. When we reached the bottom there was a black pool that reflected the stars of the night sky. Suddenly the waters were disturbed by a wind, the stars vanished as did my sister. It was pitch black and I was scared to death. I felt death around me and screamed, calling out for her. I woke up in a sweat, looked at the clock. It was 1:45 am. I went back to sleep. I was woken by a phone call in the morning from my aunt who told me that my grandmother had died in the night, I asked her when and she said 1:45. The hair on the back of my neck went up, the whole thing was pretty weird... A funny thing happened years later. My sister was at a party (Halloween I think) where the hosts had hired a psychic/fortune Teller. She told my sister that she and I had lived as priests of some sort in Egypt long ago. When my sister voiced her skepticism, the lady told her to ask me about the reflecting pool... Anyway, I always got a kick out of it; going from being some kind of Egyptian priest, to a contractor - that's some pretty serious downward mobility.

glenallen
05-15-2008, 11:33 PM
..."downward mobility."

Nope! I'd say you're much better off in your role today than as an Egyptian priest. Egyptian priests were some of the most misguided and delusional humans who have ever lived.
You've come a long way in the right direction IMO.

Dutch
05-15-2008, 11:53 PM
I had a brother in law die of cancer in a veterans hospital hospice some years ago. Late one night as my sis and I were sittting in the main entry room talking with one of the nurses the door bell rang. They used a door bell and buzzer system to let folk in after 9 pm. It was after 11 pm as the nurse got up to answer the doorbell this night. No one was at the door. She came back shortly and told us what had happened. She also told us that quite frequently after such an occurance ( ringing of the door bell with no one at the door) that one of the terminally ill patients would pass. She spoke about it un afraid and matter of factly as death come to the door. She said she had seen it several times happen, but not always after a ringing. She explained that when one of the patients did not die they had refused to go with the deathly visitor. I believed her then as I still do. She had no reason to invent a story and we all heard the doorbell ring.

burgermike
05-16-2008, 12:11 AM
In college my wife (then girlfriend) would go take a nap after class in my apartment while I was at work. When I came home one afternoon she asked why had I come home earlier, layed down next to her, then left. I hadn't. I was at work the whole time and the door was deadbolted from the inside.Later that night we were out for a drive when I noticed a man standing by the side of the dark country road dressed as a clown. He came out of the grass just as we passed. Needless to say we sped away and didn't dare look back!More recently when I came home from work late one night I saw the rocker on the front porch rocking. I thought it was the wind-but then I realized no wind, it was dead calm. I stood there for a few minutes and watched it keep rocking-then it stopped. I haven't been on my front porch in 5 months!I send my kids out for the paper, and tell them to not get caught by the ghost! It makes for good entertainment in the morning!