PDA

View Full Version : We'll all be rooned.......

skuthorp
05-12-2008, 02:58 AM
if it don't rain this month/week/year. For us in the SE of the continent this continues. In Peter's 'Lulu sagas" thread in People and places I posted in 2002:
"if you ignore our urgent need for about 7 months constant rain!"

Things 'aint changed!
Meanwhile up north it falls out of the sky in buckets but even there not inland much. I don't think WX if quite flooded out yet and the Murray Darling basin is still dry as a chip. Not a good outlook.

The Bigfella
05-12-2008, 03:02 AM
just wait till the Budget if you wanna bee rooned

seanz
05-12-2008, 03:06 AM
Relax....draw yourself a nice dustbath.

Soon you'll have a nice desalinization plant that will; save you/be a waste of time/send you broke...pick any two options.
When I left Oz my folks had been on water restrictions for a couple of years at least.....that was in 2001, they're still on water restrictions.
This might be one of those tricks the wide brown land pulls every thousand years or so........or it might be climate change.

The Bigfella
05-12-2008, 03:15 AM
Relax....draw yourself a nice dustbath.

I jumped out of the car while I was waiting for the ferry on the way home from the boat and gave my trousers a bit of a whack - dust clouds flew off everywhere.... damn varnish.

As for climate change - its the natural order of things. Always has been - always will be.

skuthorp
05-12-2008, 03:20 AM
It's whisky o'clock Ian, or beer if you prefer. At 5.15 you should be on your second can!

"This might be one of those tricks the wide brown land pulls every thousand years or so"
Yeah, there was a great oral tradition going back to the flooding of Bass straight when the local tribes were still about. Colonial and european pride and hubris failed to record it properly.
If you look at the gathering of circumstances to do with rainfall, temperature, extremes of weather, acidification in the seas, problems with the worlds bee populations, and consequently food production you might be inclined to a bit of worry about our species continued 'success'. Not to be all 'new age' but Gia in action?

seanz
05-12-2008, 03:36 AM
Not to be all 'new age' but Gia in action?

Nah....
Rainbow serpent more like it.
:)
The original inhabitants of Oz did not build permanent structures (OK I just thought of two exceptions to that) or settlements...maybe they were onto something?

skuthorp
05-12-2008, 03:50 AM
I think the place was a bit like a supermarket to them. The Vic mob recognised 21 or so seasons and moved about according to those seasons following food, weather, etc. They had enough food to develop complex social religious and cultural practices, were better fed than the average european till quite recently (150 years or so). They managed their environment with fire to encourage food plants and game, had a complex trading system stretching thousands of miles, a story system that transmitted information across the generations effectively, were ignorant of 'time' as we know it and the better for it. Then we stuffed it up, completely.
Now there was sandy blight and probably leprosy where contact with the Macassan fisherman occured in the north, and lifespans weren't extensive, but then neither were they in europe and there were no measles, small pox, VD, influenza here till..........

The Bigfella
05-12-2008, 05:10 AM
You make it sound a bit too romantic Jeff. They ate each other when game was scarce too.

WX
05-12-2008, 06:19 AM
Been dry up here for a couple of weeks but it looks like we may be in for a bit of rain this week. it drizzled briefly today but not enough to wet a ciggy paper.

Wild Dingo
05-12-2008, 08:06 AM
we got shrooms Jeff you want some?? lots an lots of shrooms!! bloody hippy yippy yayas have been wanderin around the paddock with strange weird looks on their dials lately :rolleyes:

ooooh "rooned" duhhhh ;)

Rain has been coming down off and on for the last week around here everythings as green as hell bloody grass is near on 2ft high out the back almost lost young Lukas on his trike the other day just ridin around muckin about then all we could see of him was his friggin giggling as he tried to find his way out a bobbed up little noggin a laugh "POPPY!! HAHAHAAHA" bloody little twerp :D

Mind you theres some areas of WA that are pretty dry... Up through the northern wheatbelt its like a dustbowl as is the gascoyne but the rest seemed pretty green to me even up around Broome there was long green grass along the sides of the Roebuck plains

But here? FRIGGIN MONGREL STUFF... and theres the fact that its almost May 18 again the anniversary of the flood 3 years ago everyones gone into stress mode around here as soon as it starts to drizzle... tonights a worry bloody phissin down out there thunder lightning and black as hell... and cold!!! gak I hate the cold :mad:

Anyway buck up ol son she'll be right :p

skuthorp
05-12-2008, 08:31 PM
"They ate each other when game was scarce too."
Ah yes, 'long pig' was the translation of the Melanesian term. Seems like an efficient use of scarce protein to me. You can't transfer our judeo-christian taboos to such a different and older society of hunter-gatherers in a drying continent. Still drying too.

WX
05-12-2008, 10:53 PM
I think Human flesh would have been fairly standard fair at one time or another all around the planet.

PeterSibley
05-12-2008, 11:29 PM
You make it sound a bit too romantic Jeff. They ate each other when game was scarce too.

Average life expectancy in Birmingham 1730 was 16
country Britain 30 ............and they didn't count the kids 'til they were 12 months old (Baptism )
don't ask for a reference .

Not romantic at all .

The Bigfella
05-13-2008, 02:25 AM
Ahh good to see you folks haven't fallen for the revisionist view of the world.

Yep - times were tough. Very little understanding of the importance of sanitation.

skuthorp
05-13-2008, 02:36 AM
Yes Ian, I think when a local doctor traced the outbreaks of cholera in london to a water pump in a local square no-one believed him. Bet the aboriginals has sorted out that it wasn't good to do it near the water supply before the Brits. Did you know that Captain Pasco, Nelson's signals officer of 'England expects...' fame died of cholera in Dorset? In the 1840's I think.

The Bigfella
05-13-2008, 02:51 AM
There was an Inquiry in the early 1840s in Haworth - the town where the Brontes lived and died early - into the cause of the early deaths there. Charlotte, for example, died of "consumption".

The Church burial ground was at the top of the hill. The water was drawn from the bottom of the hill. There were something like 40,000 bods in the graveyard. Yuk.

When I was over there, I also visited the Jorvik dig at York - a Viking village that was unearthed a decade or two back and turned into a tourist attraction (one of the best in the UK in my book). They have a case with a fossilised turd in it - and a recreation of where it was found. The bog was just outside the door of the hut - on open ground. I bet they had trouble keeping the carpets clean!

PeterSibley
05-13-2008, 03:22 AM
By a sanitation definition ,the Dark Ages lasted until the mid 1800s .From the time post Roman administration began to collapse , say 500AD to 1840 .1340 years with sh!t in your cup of tea . Speaking of tea .........this was exactly the reason the Chinese drank it , boiled water with flavouring ,perhaps our ancestors took to the habit .

WX
05-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Yep, we've really progressed. Now we dump all our excrement into vast amounts of drinking water, give it some rough treatment and dump it in the ocean. of course that's not all we do, just to show we really have our finger on the pulse we take truly staggering quantities of valuable resources, made things out of them and when they wear out or we get sick of them we bury them in huge landfills.
NEVER under estimate the power of human stupidity.

The Bigfella
05-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Nah - it gets better - we put those sewerage outfalls out to sea, then we stick an inlet out there for our desalination plant and suck it back in and use bucketloads of energy on it.

PeterSibley
05-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Engineers one , environmentalists nil .

WX
05-13-2008, 08:35 PM
I hadn't thought of that Ian...good one.

PeterSibley
05-13-2008, 08:40 PM
the history of ocean outfalls is interesting .Dates back to about 1905 in Sydney ....all part of being "modern "city .A engineers dream ... Like freeways and desal plants .

WX
05-14-2008, 08:06 AM
They used to dump straight into Sydney Habour till it started to stink the place out.
Water based waste disposal has got to be one of the greatest examples of pointless and expensively wasteful engineering known to man.

The Bigfella
05-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Its a classic example of so-called experts being trapped by the efforts of the bosses they were apprenticed to. No lateral thinking whatsoever (and yes - I've done work in the area)