PDA

View Full Version : By a Knight of ghosts and shadows, summoned were we to tourney

coelacanth2
05-11-2008, 12:02 AM
and it was about 9 leagues away, too.:D
First tournament my son and I have been to in over a year and he did well. Took a second in the weapons forms, using my wife's purpleheart staff which is heavier than what even the adult male competitors were using, and he was snapping it around like a willow switch. He didn't place in the empty - hands forms or sparring, but the improvements in both from just the last few weeks in the school were stunning. The last three years he has been growing increasingly timid in sparring - letting much smaller, less experienced kids run him around and even knock him down. Suddenly, it seems to be fading, and his confidence in his control is improving. It had started 3 years ago, at a regional championship, when he was 8. His opponent was a girl who was a rusher - blindly drive in throwing punches - and she'd won often with that tactic, apparently. He had done just as he was taught - step off her line and kick or punch as she drove past. He wasn't used to that sort of thing, misjudged her speed , and cleaned her clock with a roundhouse kick to the head...first warning, excessive contact. The match was restarted, and she tried it again, this time with her hands high to guard her head ... and he planted one in her stomach ... second warning, excessive contact. After the third excessive contact, you are disqualified out of the competition, usually including what you've won in other events. Instead of risking that, he ran from her, she won, and he has been timid since. This time he was in perfect control, lost by one point in a good match to another good competitor - and he had a good time. I judged some of the blackbelt adult weapons divisions and the competitors were using "toothpicks" made of light wood (they can move'em faster) but they occasionally break just from flexion and air resistance. Not a real weapon. I was very proud of my son for choosing the greater challenge, and doing well.
Now, if we can just get rid of the constant flow of horrid puns:D

glenallen
05-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Interesting! And he's only 11?
He will be laying on some whup ass by the time he's 16.
Combat arts are nearly impossible to do within arbitrary limits.
The very nature of those arts demand total destruction of the other guy.
You can't hold back when your're attacked. Your only obligation must be to save yourself by destroying the other guy.
Anything less is not combat but dance.
My own actual experience was boxing. Oddly, I spent my entire boxing years sparring with aspiring boxers. Training them at the request of their trainers.
When I was 21 I weighed only 145 and spent hours sparring with 15-19 year old boys in Golden Gloves. Some of them had been boxing for 10 years and would beat the hell out of me if I let them. I'd spar with heavier kids but they would try to hold punches. Impossible!
Forgive the ramble!

Spin_Drift
05-11-2008, 04:28 AM
Interesting reading... You should be proud. Your son did remarkably well. He will be able to protect himself and his future family with his skills.

Congratulations to him from far away Finland...

Glenallen is right. My daughter Cass took down a huge, tall boy at the school's bus stop when he put his hands on her breast. She grabbed and held him by the back of his neck and literally rubbed his face on a sidewalk and she's only 4' 9" -but tough and strong.

My older daughter was using her hands, elbows and feet to break boards held by two men and she was only eight years old.

I'd hate to tangle with either of the girls...:eek:

paladin
05-11-2008, 09:58 AM
are you introducing him to Kendo/Iai.....if you start him now and he develops the reflexes I betcha he would be good.....

coelacanth2
05-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Funny you should mention that, Paladin. I practiced Shindomusoryu Jodo for a while, and still keep up with a couple of the guys. I also had an exposure to iaido from my previous teacher, who was from Southern Japan and had about a 5th dan in one of the styles from that area. Jodo was the main focus, though, but all the forms require a sword wielding opponent, so one also learns some swordsmanship.(Jodo is the art of the short staff - about 40" or 1 meter, about 2 cm diameter, usually of white oak. The only person to defeat Mushashi Miamoto, Japan's sword saint, used a jo). My son's trophy from the tournament was a pair of light practice swords. I'll work him up on the iaido I remember, and then either jodo or kendo. I wish there was European style fencing available, too, but we're a bit isolated here. There's also the time issue:rolleyes:

Spin_Drift
05-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Would like to see some pictures of your son and you doing your weapons forms...