PDA

View Full Version : RASPS

J. Dillon
07-26-2001, 09:24 AM
Have we talked about rasps here, as a topic ?

For me the rasp if better then a knife for rounding up things like cleats, blocks, deadeyes etc. For the compound tapering curves always changing, it seems the best tool. I guess production work and multiple quanties a router would be better but I venture a rasp and sandpaper applied here and there would finish it off.

Had to turn out a custom cleat for a specialized purpose and placement. The rasp was the best tool for rounding off.

Years ago I found the rasp was the best tool for working Ligumn viate dead eyes for a 27' gaff cutter I built.
JD

Alan D. Hyde
07-26-2001, 09:59 AM
I was looking around for a long, fairly course rasp a few months ago: what I've heard called a "bull rasp."

It turns out that farm supply and farriers outlets carry these for use on horse's hooves.

They're hard to find in ordinary hardware stores.

Alan

JD is right; they're very useful for shaping wood.

[This message has been edited by Alan D. Hyde (edited 07-26-2001).]

Bayboat
07-26-2001, 11:32 AM
I find the Nicholson #49 and #50 pattern makers' rasps very good for shaping wood.
They are expensive, but worth it. Available from mail order houses, e.g. Lee Valley, Garrett Wade, Woodcraft. They are hand-cut, with random edges, which work better than machine-cut, regular edges.

ktkotz
07-26-2001, 11:45 AM
I find the Nicholson 49 & 50 rasps nice as well. I have recently bought a round hand-cut rasp from Lee Valley, and it has been the best rasp that I've ever used. The teeth are super-sharp, and the pattern random. I found that for shaping a number of smaller it worked best. I am interested to hear if anyone has used the half-round hand-cut rasp and how it compares to the Nicholsons.

Ross Faneuf
07-26-2001, 11:53 AM
I use rasps a lot - mostly a half-round, probably Nicholson. I have 3-4 of them. I use them, among other things, to remove excess epoxy or smooth filler, for which they are excellent. Not too agressive on wood, which I also like. I'll check out Lee Valley - haven't see theirs.

I also have a rectangular single cut rasp which cuts on all four edges, and is excellent for shaping corners.

Scott Rosen
07-26-2001, 12:24 PM
I second Ross's observation that rasps are especially good for removing excess epoxy.

Jamie Hascall
07-26-2001, 03:37 PM
One of my favorite tools is a German hand cut rasp I picked up a number of years ago from Peck Tool Co. http://www.pecktool.com/ It's been though 15+ years of all sorts of materials and is still sharp and true. I'm sure glad I bought it then because I'm not sure I could justify the expense now http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/eek.gif.

Jamie

JMAC
07-26-2001, 08:43 PM
A Nicholson rasp would be on my top ten tools that I'd want on a deserted teak plantation. Another? Stanley's 16" Sharkcut hand saw...and a bit brace...big chisel,little chisel...bottle opener...