PDA

View Full Version : Marine Gas/Deisel Price poll and dates.

S.V. Airlie
04-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Umm, gonna take a guess as to how high it will reach?
Second question. At what point will it be before your vacation plans on your boat will change to " I'm not going anywhere".

Thought about this today as in CT. reg gas jumped from 3.73 to 3.79. Also been asking a lot of people what they are gonna do. Those with 50' or longer power boats seem not to care. Those with smaller boats are saying that the fuel prices will force them to stay in their slips. Any trips planned were either on hold or limited to a 15 mile range.

LeeG
04-28-2008, 09:38 AM
between $3.50 and $4.50,,,and you can quote me!

hell, tack on $.25 and use the money to subsidize insulation for oil heated buildings.

Popeye
04-28-2008, 09:44 AM
cutting fuel taxes is the wrong move

LeeG
04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
That was a brilliant suggestion by McCain, eliminate the federal taxes on gas for the summer.

"we must win in Iraq,,now go on vacation"

S.V. Airlie
04-28-2008, 09:53 AM
cutting fuel taxes is the wrong move

Well as LeeG has pointed out.. the idea is now out there...Thought I'd throw it in the poll..

LeeG
04-28-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm out of touch, it's already up there

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/wohdp/diesel.asp

S.V. Airlie
04-28-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm out of touch, it's already up there

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/wohdp/diesel.asp

No LeeG was not implying you were out of touch.. I was referring to McCain's idea to cut tax on gas which, you mentioned above, is already an idea on the table. Hence in the poll.

And deisel as in Marine is gonna be more expensive than deisel/gas on the highways.. At least in my experience, it always has been.

LeeG
04-28-2008, 10:10 AM
this fellow implies says prices can go a lot higher before it affects consumption.

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/3892#comments_top

CK 17
04-28-2008, 10:14 AM
I caught a friend of mine picking up 3 extra days of flying this month. He said his four winns sucks up 300 gallons on a good weekend. Ouch

willmarsh3
04-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Gas to drive to boat and back - about $7 worth today.
Diesel to get boat out of marina and back in after the sail - about $1 worth. I don't see it stopping me going sailing any time soon.

But I have noticed fewer motorboats on the water this year.

Removing taxes on fuel won't do much good. The taxes will have to come from somewhere else. Considering supply and demand the cost of fuel will immediately rise to cover the taxes that were cut, IMHO.

LeeG
04-28-2008, 10:30 AM
LAT op/ed:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-klare28apr28,0,1651403.story

To obtain these additional barrels, the Chinese have, in fact, been shopping in some of the same foreign oil bazaars as the United States -- and, with more demand chasing a finite supply, prices naturally tend to rise.

But let's put this in perspective. In 2007, according to Energy Department figures, the United States consumed about 21 million barrels of oil a day, nearly three times as much as China. Even more significant, we imported 13 million barrels every day, a vastly greater amount than China's import tally. So, although it is indeed true that Chinese and American consumers are competing for access to overseas supplies, thereby edging up prices, American consumption still sets the pace in international oil markets.

The reality is that as far as the current run-up in gasoline prices is concerned, other factors are more to blame: shrinking oil output from such key producers as Mexico, Russia and Venezuela; internal violence in Iraq and Nigeria; refinery inadequacies in the U.S. and elsewhere; speculative stockpiling by global oil brokers, and so on. These conditions are likely to persist for the foreseeable future, so prices will remain high.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Gas at our pumps is $4.43 a US gallon

Yeadon
04-28-2008, 12:09 PM
The price per gallon is a pinch, but people are only starting to drive less. So maybe prices are right where they ought to be. We've had it coming for a long time. The stubborn will be hurt badly.

I do feel badly for people who are too old, sick, disabled to walk, ride the bus, or a bike.

It's going to be ugly.

Only good thing, less guys on Puget Sound with Four Winns doing circles around my sailing peapod.

LeeG
04-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Just think of all the motor boats suited for diesels under 50hp or so

Popeye
04-28-2008, 12:26 PM
those new mercury 4-strokes are quite reasonable and economical as boat engines go for puttering around