X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Noah
    Senior Member #3500
    • Jun 2001

Whisker Pole-Birdsmouth douple tapered

Roshika, my 36'6" Hinckley doesn't have a Whisker Pole, and I want to make one. I'm thinking that it would be for the Genoa, which has a foot of about 15ft, and a hoist of 41. How do you figure out how long to make the pole? It's about 4'6" from the mast out to the gunnel if it matters, and the genoa is a 150%.

How do you go about making a double taper, IE thin on either end, or is that not neccesary? Has anyone found nice bronze whisker pole fittings?

I'm sure I will have more questions, but that should be enough to get the ball rolling...

Noah
  • rbgarr
    43.50.918 N, 69.38.583 W
    • Apr 1999

Pricy asking prices, but may suit your needs-

[ 01-09-2005, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: rbgarr ]
    For the most part experience is making the same mistakes over and over again, only with greater confidence.

Comment

• JimConlin
      • Oct 2000

A spruce pole for a boat of that size will be borderline unwieldy. I'd guess it'bd be about 14' in length. Hollow (birdmouth) construction will help.
      It'll be a bother to maintain, too. I'd suggest that if you're willing to use carbon anywhere on your boat, it should be in the spin/whisker pole.

Comment

• Jim Goodine
        • May 1999

Hi Noah. I made one for my cousin's boat but I don't know what length you'd need. We rigged the sail and measured what he'd need. It was about 11' or so, made of spruce.

I cut the bird's mouth sections for 2 1/2" diameter then to get the taper, I planed the strips on the flat edge. The ends finished at 1 1/2" diameter. Seemed very easy to do.

Comment

• kc8pql
          • Sep 2004

Toplicht has some nice bronze pole fittings in several sizes. Dollar to Euro exchange rate isn't to good right now though. Toplicht

[ 01-09-2005, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: kc8pql ]

Comment

• Bill Perkins
            • Mar 2002

Noah have you seen the info on spinnaker poles in Skene's ?. A hollow square section is presented as most efficent for these spars . The author sees " no point " in a round section for these ( the square section is surprisingly efficent ).There's a sizing chart you might be able to adapt to your whisker pole , and section details . Construction , includeing taper , would be a breeze .

[ 01-10-2005, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Bill Perkins ]

Comment

• BillyBudd
              Wary eye on yardarm
              • Oct 2003

Hiya Noah! Making double tapered hollow masts are -- believe me, even I've done it -- a piece of cake. Check out WB mag #149 (July/Aug 1999) where you'll find an article called "Bird's Mouth Hollow Spars: Fast and Easy to Build." The article includes simple formulas, and blow by blow descriptions/photos of the process. This all started for me when I accidentally met the guys at a WB boat show years ago and they had me trot on over to the WB tent to buy the old mag. If you don't have the mag let me know--you'll need 5 pages, 31 - 36 incl. I couldn't believe that the tapers would happen, but...there they were!
              Bolger sheetply Chebacco cat-yawl
              MacGregor 1939 Sabot dink
              Hill 14' ply lapstrake canoe
              Bryan Fiddlehead

Comment

Working...