PDA

View Full Version : Priest carried up by 1000 balloons missing

skuthorp
04-21-2008, 10:22 PM
"A Roman Catholic priest who floated off under hundreds of helium party balloons was missing off the southern coast of Brazil today.
Rescuers in helicopters and small fishing boats were searching off the coast of Santa Catarina state, where pieces of balloons were found.
Reverend Adelir Antonio de Carli lifted off from the port city of Paranagua yesterday afternoon, wearing a helmet, thermal suit and a parachute.
He was reported missing about eight hours later after losing contact with port authority officials, according to the treasurer of his Sao Cristovao parish, Denise Gallas."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/priest-carried-up-by-balloons-missing/2008/04/22/1208742887409.html

I'd recommend him for the Darwin awards but.............. a priest? Evidently he had a GPS with him in case but didn't know how to use it! Balloon material has been found in the water.

Michael Beckman
04-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Thats so incredibly awesome. If I was gonna go, that'd be a fun way to do it.

John B
04-21-2008, 11:41 PM
yeah, well, I hope someone mentioned not shooting the flares straight up.

glenallen
04-21-2008, 11:45 PM
I hope someone finds him alive soon.

BETTY-B
04-21-2008, 11:47 PM
There's one down. Only four mllion to go...

Todd Bradshaw
04-22-2008, 02:00 AM
As Bugs Bunny would say: "What a maroon!"

"He knew what he was doing and was fully prepared for any kind of mishap."

One of the first things they teach you when you learn to fly a balloon is that you had better know which way the wind is blowing at ground level and at altitude and launch-out upwind of your intended target because your ability to steer is totally a matter of trying to find favorable wind currents.

They also teach you that if you're planning to fly at 19,500 feet you need oxygen and it's usually going to be about 68 degrees colder up there than it is on the ground.

The fact that you have lots of experience jumping out of aircraft doesn't mean you're qualified to fly one, even if it's just a glorified lawn chair.

doorstop
04-22-2008, 02:14 AM

correction! 3,999,999.... or thereabouts. ;)

Nicholas Scheuer
04-22-2008, 06:28 AM
Aren't party baloons pretty well filled at ground level? Everyone knows weather baloons are only partly filled at ground level, with plenty of capacity for expansion of the Helium. The priest's baloons were just looking for the right altitude to pop; and pretty much all at once, untill he started to descend, very likely having lost too many baloons to maintain anything other than a rapid descent.

Or, - - - maybe a flock of birds flew into his baloons.

Moby Nick

George Jung
04-22-2008, 08:26 AM
This is bizarre, but to me, a more interesting question is why was a Priest doing such a stunt? Was it something related to his calling in life, or was he 'off hours', so to speak, and just trying to have a lil' adventure?

Thats so incredibly awesome. If I was gonna go, that'd be a fun way to do it.

There's a number of things I"d like to do..... among them skydiving. But I've known too many folks who got messed up jumping out of perfectly good airplanes (my brother included); I've decided that if I get my diagnosis of '6 months to live', that's when I go for it. So if I start doing really crazy stuff.... you'll know why!

George Jung
04-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Ah, the answers:

Gallas said by telephone that the priest wanted to break a 19-hour record for the most hours flying with balloons to raise money for a spiritual rest-stop for truckers in Paranagua, Brazil's second-largest port for agricultural products.
Some American adventurers have used helium balloons to emulate Larry Walters - who in 1982 rose three miles above Los Angeles in a lawn chair lifted by balloons........

Carli had a GPS device, a satellite phone, a buoyant chair and was an experienced skydiver, Gallas said.
"We are absolutely confident he will be found alive and well, floating somewhere in the ocean," she said.
"He knew what he was doing and was fully prepared for any kind of mishap."

I don't see anything about not knowing how to use the GPS. Another story?

Tar Devil
04-22-2008, 08:40 AM
There's a number of things I"d like to do..... among them skydiving.

I made 15 jumps as a 16 year old. Though I'm not likely to ever do such a thing again, I can't recommend it enough!

layla17
04-22-2008, 08:50 AM
That's pretty incredible... I can't imagine seeing someone being floated upwards by balloons. As far as skydiving goes... it's the next thing on my list.

Phil Eves
04-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Holy !@#$!!!!.............Stairway to heaven broken down?.....

Tylerdurden
04-22-2008, 09:08 AM
I made 15 jumps as a 16 year old. Though I'm not likely to ever do such a thing again, I can't recommend it enough!

I was going to take an aerobatics course so it was recommended I do a jump having to wear a chute and all.

I did my first jump and spotted myself the last 100', Next day I go back to fight my fears and one jumpers chute failed while I was waiting on the ramp. I can still hear the sound of impact only a few hundred feet away. Needless to say I took the advice of the experience and understood its stupid to jump out of a perfectly good airframe.

James McMullen
04-22-2008, 09:19 AM
I'd call it an example of evolution in action if he hadn't already, as a priest, removed himself from the gene pool.

And hey, I may be a bit shaky on my theology, but isn't it the Nuns who are supposed to be flying?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Nun

Tylerdurden
04-22-2008, 09:24 AM
I'd call it an example of evolution in action if he hadn't already, as a priest, removed himself from the gene pool.

Kind of mean, he did it to bring awareness to something he wanted and that is admirable. I want to sail through another hurricane as the first one I felt closer to god. Maybe he was going in that direction.
If so Bless him.

Sam F
04-22-2008, 09:48 AM
I'd call it an example of evolution in action if he hadn't already, as a priest, removed himself from the gene pool...
Funny thing about how selective the Darwin Award stuff is.
Individuals are really Darwinian chump change. The real "rewards" of self-extinction come at a society-wide level.
I nominate Europe:

In Europe 2.1 children per woman is considered to be the population replacement level. These are national averages:
Ireland: 1.99
France: 1.90
Norway: 1.81
Sweden 1.75
UK: 1.74
Netherlands: 1.73
Germany: 1.37
Italy: 1.33
Spain: 1.32
Greece: 1.29
Source: Eurostat - 2004 figures

TimH
04-22-2008, 09:54 AM

ROFL!

He must have flown too close to the sun.....:D

TimH
04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Individuals are really Darwinian chump change. The real "rewards" of self-extinction come at a society-wide level.
I nominate Europe:

China and India are more than making up the difference.

S.V. Airlie
04-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Should have taken the elevator.

Sam F
04-22-2008, 10:03 AM
China and India are more than making up the difference.

When a society wins the Darwin award, you can only expect a more fit one to move in.

TimH
04-22-2008, 10:06 AM
they will use up all their resources and die off before that happens. There is an optimum population for the planet. Europe is recognizing this. Quality of life depends on their not being too many people.

carioca1232001
04-22-2008, 10:20 AM
In a previous adventure, he ballooned all the way to Argentina, no hitch whatsoever.

This last time he had terrible bad luck as the wind changed and instead of going inland as planned, the balloon went south, down the coast of Santa Catarina.

Airborne police were able to pick up his last message, pleading for help on his sat-phone as the ballooned device went down, but with him not providing the coordinates (did not know to use the GPS).

Kaa
04-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Not that it was an original idea...

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/walters.asp

One day, Larry, had a bright idea. He decided to fly. He went to the local Army-Navy surplus store and purchased 45 weather balloons and several tanks of helium. The weather balloons, when fully inflated, would measure more than four feet across. Back home, Larry securely strapped the balloons to his sturdy lawn chair. He anchored the chair to the bumper of his jeep and inflated the balloons with the helium. He climbed on for a test while it was still only a few feet above the ground. Satisfied it would work, Larry packed several sandwiches and a six-pack of Miller Lite, loaded his pellet gun-figuring he could pop a few balloons when it was time to descend-and went back to the floating lawn chair. He tied himself in along with his pellet gun and provisions. Larry's plan was to lazily float up to a height of about 30 feet above his back yard after severing the anchor and in a few hours come back down. Things didn't quite work out that way. When he cut the cord anchoring the lawn chair to his jeep, he didn't float lazily up to 30 or so feet. Instead he streaked into the LA sky as if shot from a cannon.

He didn't level of at 30 feet, nor did he level off at 100 feet. After climbing and climbing, he leveled off at 11,000 feet. At that height he couldn't risk shooting any of the balloons, lest he unbalance the load and really find himself in trouble. So he stayed there, drifting, cold and frightened, for more than 14 hours. Then he really got in trouble. He found himself drifting into the primary approach corridor of Los Angeles International Airport. A United pilot first spotted Larry. He radioed the tower and described passing a guy in a lawn chair with a gun.
:D

Kaa

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-22-2008, 10:30 AM
I nominate Europe:

In Europe 2.1 children per woman is considered to be the population replacement level. These are national averages:
Ireland: 1.99France: 1.90
Norway: 1.81
Sweden 1.75
UK: 1.74
Netherlands: 1.73
Germany: 1.37
Italy: 1.33
Spain: 1.32
Greece: 1.29
Source: Eurostat - 2004 figures

Oh, come off it, Sam!

Just for fun, I have italicised the officially Catholic countries.

There are immense benefits to a declining population, but in reality western Euopean populations are growing fast due to immigration.

Sam F
04-22-2008, 10:37 AM
In Europe 2.1 children per woman is considered to be the population replacement level. ...Oh, come off it, Sam!...
There are immense benefits to a declining population, but in reality western Euopean populations are growing fast due to immigration.

When a society wins the Darwin award, you can only expect a more fit one to move in. Not much of benefit to the less fit, I expect

Kaa
04-22-2008, 10:39 AM

Benefits to a declining population..? I am sure there are some, but I am not so sure they outweigh the disadvantages.

As to Europe's population "growing fast", that seems to be incorrect. Wikipedia gives European population of 728,5m in 2000, 728,4m in 2005, and projects the decline to 725,8m in 2010.

Kaa

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-22-2008, 10:47 AM
It is fairly easy to register and record births and deaths.

It is very much harder to record immigration and emigration.

A moment's thought will tell you why this is so.

Our own Government have reshuffled their figures upwards by rather over a million in the past year.

And yes, I am most definitely in favour of a decline in the number of humans.

Staying with Darwin, let's remember that lemmings are exhibiting behaviour that conveys an evolutionary benefit. Too many lemmings = not enough grass...

African elephants, which like the lemmings lack effective predation, adjust their fertility rate if left to themselves - human induced stress such as culling tends to up the fertility rate. The consequences of too many elephants are almost as destructive as the consequences of too many humans.

Kaa
04-22-2008, 10:56 AM
It is fairly easy to register and record births and deaths.

It is very much harder to record immigration and emigration.

Generally true, though I'm not sure how relevant this is. I haven't seen any evidence that illegal immigration into Europe is of such magnitude as to make it "grow fast". But you're welcome to present some to make me change my mind :-)

And yes, I am most definitely in favour of a decline in the number of humans.

I am not. And, by the way, I don't recall ever hearing a coherent moral argument for forcing such a decline -- at least a palatable moral argument.

Kaa

Bob Triggs
04-22-2008, 10:56 AM
"What God wants, God keeps" :D

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Gosh, two straw men in a single post!

Who said anything about illegal immigration?

And who said anything about forcing a decline in population?

1/10 : Could Do Better

TimH
04-22-2008, 11:02 AM
I dont understand people who cant/wont see that too many people on the planet spoil it for everyone.

Its so damn simple.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I dont understand people who cant/wont see that too many people on the planet spoil it for everyone.

Its so damn simple.

That's two of us, anyhow.

Kaa
04-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Gosh, two straw men in a single post!

Maybe it's a corn field :-)

Who said anything about illegal immigration?

Why, you did. Remember
It is very much harder to record immigration and emigration.? Legal immigration is very easy to record and count, and I see no reason to suspect that legal immigration numbers are incorrect. The only immigration that's hard to record is the illegal one.

So you're in favor of declining population but not in favor of doing anything to make it so? A bit strange position, that...

Kaa

Tylerdurden
04-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Its so damn simple.

Lot of people saw it your way..

http://www.arikah.net/encyclopedia/images/4/4d/Stalin_02.jpghttp://www.donaldedavis.com/2005%20new/20FACES/hitler.jpghttp://www.womensenews.org/images/ci/SangerMargaret010706.jpg
http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/webpics/Pol_Pot.jpg

You in great company, Who decides who lives? You? Me? or those pictured above?

Sam F
04-22-2008, 11:14 AM

So you're in favor of declining population but not in favor of doing anything to make it so? A bit strange position, that...

Kaa

My reaction to such comments as "there are too many humans" always seems to be along the lines of... "OK! You first." ;)
Since we've been told over and over that Western-style economies do far more damage than our little brown brothers living in mud huts, I always wonder why it's those simple folk that are always to blame for over population. Maybe they're supposed to do the population declining...

Kaa
04-22-2008, 11:14 AM

Its so damn simple.

Shall we start with you and your family? Friends, neighbors?

Kaa

TimH
04-22-2008, 11:21 AM
There is a large difference between removing existing people and developing a plan to prevent the population from expanding more.

Amazing how people immediately jump up and start talking about killing people. Talk about over-reaction...

Typical American 3 - 5 year outlook.

Is the future too far away to see?

Tylerdurden
04-22-2008, 11:26 AM
There is a large difference between removing existing people and developing a plan to prevent the population from expanding more.

Amazing how people immediately jump up and start talking about killing people. Talk about over-reaction...

Your on a thread where a man may have died and your response is population reduction as its good the guy may have died or stupid people need to die. What if your all wrong and your the stupid people?

As a matter of fact I am pretty sure you are one of the stupid people.

I added Margeret Sanger to that list for a reason, all three killers liked what she had to say and implemented her Ideas.

Sam F
04-22-2008, 11:27 AM

Hang on... I thought there were too many people now.
Isn't that right?

Gee I wonder how anyone could get that idea?

ROFL!

That attitude sounds more than just a bit nasty, don't you think?

Typical American 3 - 5 year outlook.

I dunno… I thought now is a bit closer than 3-5 years away.

TimH
04-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I never said now. I am talking about the future.

Sam F
04-22-2008, 11:33 AM

Ok! So exactly when in the future?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-22-2008, 11:34 AM
It is NOT easy to record legal migration!

In the EU, it actually cannot be recorded, because there is free migration between EU member states.

Now, to take an actual example, let us assume that someone obtains political asylum in Holland. That person has migrated to Holland legally and is recorded. He can now move to England and as a person having the right of abode in the EU he is perfectly entitled to do that. His move to England is unrecorded.

I have a friend who works for a London bank; she moved to the UK as an MBA student and then took a job here. That was three years ago. Has she migrated? She herself does not know...she may, or may not, stay here.

Do you start to see the problems?

Sam F
04-22-2008, 11:36 AM
...Do you start to see the problems?

I sure do! So you guys don't have a census?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett

Look up the thread just a little way and you will find Sam's list of European nations with rates of fertility below replacement rates.

There is no need to do anything, other than to use contraception - something that Sam disapproves of, of course.

Kaa
It is NOT easy to record legal migration!

In the EU, it actually cannot be recorded, because there is free migration between EU member states. ...

Do you start to see the problems?

I don't see any problems. I wasn't talking about the population of separate countries, I was talking about the population of Europe as a whole. From that point of view, movement of people inside EU is entirely irrelevant. The population of Europe doesn't change if some Englishmen move to France or if some Poles move to Germany.

Kaa

Andrew Craig-Bennett
I sure do! So you guys don't have a census?

Yes, once a decade, just like yours...:)

Paul Pless
04-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Do you start to see the problems?Problems. LOL! have you seen any reliable statistics regarding movement along our southern border...

TimH
04-22-2008, 11:40 AM

The future is a funny thing. Since you never actually reach it, why worry about it?

Problem is if we fail to plan, we plan to fail by default.

Would you go on a long sailing voyage with 3 people, but food for only one?

Sam F
04-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Yes, once a decade, just like yours...:)

OK so ya'll can't be completely clueless about your population - at least on the basis of 10 year snapshots.

Sam F
04-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Sam F

The future is a funny thing. Since you never actually reach it, why worry about it?

Ok. So you don't mean now and you don't know when.
Not much of a basis for planning there.
Unless you plan based on... well what is it exactly?

Nope. But that's not particularly relevant. One doesn't raise much food on a boat - but I guess you'd better take along some fishing gear.

TimH
04-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Is this planet not a boat?

Tylerdurden
04-22-2008, 11:50 AM

So who gets to have kids and who doesn't? Who decides?
Should we ban inferior races (who decides?) from reproducing?

Sam F
04-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Is this planet not a boat?

Last time I checked it a mite harder to plow up the back 40 on a boat. Happens all the time on this planet.

TimH
04-22-2008, 11:53 AM
brilliant.

Sam F
04-22-2008, 11:54 AM
So who gets to have kids and who doesn't? Who decides?
Should we ban inferior races (who decides?) from reproducing?
Sure.
Pushing the problem a few years into the future makes not the slightest difference. One way or the other, some people will have to decide that others (who have no choice about it) won't live.
We've see it before...
Time to bring in Godwin's "law" now? :D

Sam F
04-22-2008, 11:56 AM
brilliant.

Not really. Doesn't take all that much brains to see the difference between a boat and a planet. The commonest sort of common sense really.

Tylerdurden
04-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Sure.
Pushing the problem a few years into the future makes not the slightest difference. One way or the other, some people will have to decide that others (who have no choice about it) won't live.
We've see it before...
Time to bring in Godwin's "law" now? :D

Problem is what Timmy is so chomping at the bit for is already happening and more than likely some of his family will be affected.
Just so programmed without the slightest clue.
Like I said be careful what you wish for, chances are you will get it. Just not like you planned it.

TimH
04-22-2008, 12:01 PM
we are all affected. Right now.

Sam F
04-22-2008, 12:13 PM

we are all affected. Right now.

OK. Which is it? The Future? Or Now?
I caught some flak for saying then, that it's Now, but now it's Now again.
This seems good present evidence for a view that carries no evidentiary weight - though it's got plenty of baggage.

TimH
04-22-2008, 12:16 PM
You are affected right now. Just go to the gas pump.

Now you are affected...we need a population plan for the future.

Do you have ADD?

Sam F
04-22-2008, 02:50 PM
First you "never said it"...

You are affected right now.... and now you do.
Golly Tim, you're a hard fellow to keep up with!
Maybe you should be a politician. ;)

Just go to the gas pump.

Lessee these days have a remarkable similarity to the gas crisis of the 1970's.
So was it population then or is that the cause now?
Three dot 5 billion then vs. roughly twice that now, but in the interim prices in constant dollars have risen and fallen and risen and fallen... but population did no such thing. Yeah there's a direct correlation all right!
Oh but I forgot... then and now, past and future are all sorta blurred together, eh?

Now you are affected...we need a population plan for the future.

Hang on a sec... you don't know past from future, never from did, and you demand a plan? A plan based on what? Implemented by whom?

Do you have ADD? Quite probably. Though given your contradictory approach that's hardly the first excuse I'd choose. :D

Tylerdurden
04-22-2008, 03:30 PM
I just hope they find that priests corpse soon so Tim can stop drooling in anticipation.

TimH
04-22-2008, 03:50 PM
this is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.

How could he not be a Darwin award recipient?

peb
04-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Hang on... I thought there were too many people now.

So you never said there are not too many people now? BS. Why did you start a poll on exactly that issue? How did you vote on your own poll? You said you trusted the consensus, so that implies you think the answer is

"We are past the point now and our environment is in a rapid decline".

Come now Norman, try to be a little more consistent in your arguments.

skuthorp
04-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Tim H: "How could he not be a Darwin award recipient?"
Celibacy within the priesthood, presuming he's RC. He had already removed himself, in theory at least.

It seems that another thread has migrated here, I suspect that overpopulation is ultimately self-correcting as it seem are several other natural processes. Certainly I have no delusions about Homo Sap cleaning his own nest willingly. Short-term self interest won't allow that.

Wild Wassa
04-23-2008, 12:52 AM
The BBC showed his exploits today. As dumb as a box of rocks he was. Actually my sincere apologies to rocks in boxes ... not all rocks in boxes are as dumb.

On the BBC they said, " ... he gained altitude much faster than expected" ... you would have though a tethered first flight may have wized-up this Skypilot.

He rang the ground crew to ask them how did he use the GPS so that he could give them his location when the sea breeze changed and blew him out to sea.

He couldn't even prepare himself for this journey adequately and this was a Skypilot who prepares others for their eternal life?

It takes all kinds ... just brilliant.

There is an excellent Australian movie about a guy who fell asleep when drunk at a party in Sydney and his friends tied their party ballons to the deckchair and he crash landed in Casino in Northern New South Wales. He received amnesia from the crash. Not knowing who he was he started a new life and became a celebrity in Casino. He was reported missing believed killed. All was well until one day when he was discovered running for Mayor or something similar. He wasn't happy in Sydney with his wife and her crawlling sycophantic friends, so his new life suited him once he recovered from his amnesia. A very entertaining movie .. the name of the movie is 'Deckchair Dan'.

Do you reckon that the Skypilot saw the movie?

If you saw the news footage of the priest going to heaven, there were many there who were happy to see him take off ... that should have told the priest some thing about his overall foolishness and even more about himself and his relationship with his congregation.

Warren.

PS, 'Skypilot' is slang for a Roman Catholic Priest ... for when Australian isn't your first language.

skuthorp
04-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Well Warren rather than waiting to be taken up with the believers, he took the direct route and saved the wait.

Presuming Ed
04-23-2008, 05:18 AM
Staying with Darwin, let's remember that lemmings are exhibiting behaviour that conveys an evolutionary benefit. Too many lemmings = not enough grass...

Lemming mass suicide is a myth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemmings#Myths_and_misconceptions

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-23-2008, 05:41 AM
Whoa there, Ed! The mass migration of lemmings, triggered by population pressure ("too many lemmings = not enough grass) confers an evolutionary benefit - I never said the little beggars were committing mass suicide, although, of course, the death rate in a lemming migration can be very high.

TimH
04-23-2008, 10:34 AM
At least we dont have to worry about him molesting small boys :-)

peb
04-23-2008, 11:35 AM

You truly are a jerk.

TimH
04-23-2008, 11:38 AM
It was a joke.

If that wasnt a legitimate concern in a lot of cases it wouldnt be funny enough to even be considered a joke. But it is.

Yeadon
04-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Christ boys, it's just the internet. Simmah down.

That priest didn't think this one through, it seems. Have they found him yet?

TimH
04-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Thats a great song :-)

The Wailing Wailers-simmer down (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qHYe_ULBLHk) ( Old Bob Marley)

BETTY-B
04-23-2008, 02:13 PM

I thought that was a good point myself. Turns out it was a joke. Two for one! Hilarious...

DAN

peb
04-23-2008, 10:25 PM
It was a joke

Just imagine if someone close to you, say a favorite uncle, was convicted of a horrible crime. You knew he did it, you were ashamed he did it. You even understood why it put a black mark on your family among your neighbors. All this might be true. But you would still be offended if those same neighbors openly made fun and jokes about your family with regard to that type of crime. Or turn the tables and you had a neighbor in that situation, you would probably not make those jokes in their presence. If you heard someone doing it, you would consider it extremely bad taste.

So you see, it is an offensive joke. Of course, you think Catholics caused the dark ages (I wonder if you can even identify the centuries of the dark ages), so I shouldn't expect you to understand.

glenallen
04-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Just imagine if someone close to you, say a favorite uncle, was convicted of a horrible crime. You knew he did it, you were ashamed he did it. You even understood why it but a black mark on your family among your neighbors. All this might be true. But you would still be offended if those same neighbors openly made fun and jokes about your family with regard to that type of crime. Or turn the tables and you had a neighbor in that situation, you would probably not make those jokes in their presence. If you heard someone doing it, you would consider it extremely bad taste.

So you see, it is an offensive joke. Of course, you think Catholics caused the dark ages (I wonder if you can even identify the centuries of the dark ages), so I shouldn't expect you to understand.

You are such a sincere man, peb.
Thanks for hanging in there with us despite our sporadic verbal abuse...me included!
At least you don't denegrate us like Sam does and make us feel like hopeless lost souls out on the dark edge of the universe with no hope whatsoever of seeing Jesus in all His glory and no notion whatsoever of morals and of Christian feelings and of Love.
It ain't easy being a lost soul, a God forsaken heathen badass liberal, and a Texan, all in one lifetime.
Cheers, peb!

peb
04-23-2008, 11:08 PM
glenallen, thanks. BTW, you at lease have one really good thing going for you: you are a Texan.

glenallen
04-23-2008, 11:35 PM
glenallen, thanks. BTW, you at lease have one really good thing going for you: you are a Texan.

Ain't it the truth!
I can forgive any Texan all his faults and short-comings!
I figure if God did not love us ugly old pieces of rawhide, He would not have landed us in Texas, but in Kansas or Tennessee or one of those other nowhere states.

Sam F
04-24-2008, 08:25 AM
...At least you don't denegrate us like Sam does and make us feel like hopeless lost souls out on the dark edge of the universe...

Golly Glen, you just described Atheism to a tee.
But denegration? Hardly. Don't blame the messenger for noticing.

...with no hope whatsoever of seeing Jesus in all His glory and no notion whatsoever of morals and of Christian feelings and of Love...

A very strange comment for an Atheist! Nevertheless it would be nice if you provided some evidence for having said that... please.
BTW, it's Catholic doctrine that you will certainly see Jesus in all His glory. Whether you find the experience a happy one or not is entirely up to you.

Mrleft8
04-24-2008, 08:49 AM
................So...................... Has anyone seen the priest guy? Or is that no longer the point of this thread?....

Sam F
04-24-2008, 08:52 AM
I thought that was a good point myself. Turns out it was a joke. Two for one! Hilarious...

DAN

For a fellow coming from a state that allowed science teacher Chad Maughan stay in the classroom that's not a bit funny.
http://www.komotv.com/news/archive/4143071.html
Or even worse:

In a dark side of the growing world of girls sports... Over the past decade, 159 coaches in Washington have been fired or reprimanded for sexual misconduct ranging from harassment to rape. Nearly all were male coaches victimizing girls. At least 98 of these coaches continued to coach or teach. 159 coaches have been reprimanded or fired for sexual misconduct in the past decade. And 98 continued to coach or teach — as schools, the state and even some parents looked the other way.(The Seattle Times)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/news/local/coaches/news/dayone.html

Dan, you might want to pay less attention to an innocent Brazilian priest and concentrate a little closer to your own home. Maybe that's not quite so hilarious.

The Bigfella
04-24-2008, 08:53 AM
They found some balloons out to sea. Must've been a party

Sam F
04-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Just curious... what do you fella's think of Steve Fawcett?

Mrleft8
04-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Fosset?

Kaa
04-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Just curious... what do you fella's think of Steve Fawcett?

Farrah Fawcett or Steve Fosset? :D

http://www.geocities.com/farrahfawcett2/farrah_fawcett.jpg

or

http://www.morrellimelvin.com/rolex_files/psfossett.jpg

Kaa

TimH
04-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Farrah.

Tylerdurden
04-24-2008, 11:25 AM
I would have thrown her a shot, Had that nipple poster over my bed as a kid. Just great hands on that girl.:D

BETTY-B
04-24-2008, 01:18 PM
For a fellow coming from a state that allowed science teacher Chad Maughan stay in the classroom that's not a bit funny.
http://www.komotv.com/news/archive/4143071.html
Or even worse:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/news/local/coaches/news/dayone.html

Dan, you might want to pay less attention to an innocent Brazilian priest and concentrate a little closer to your own home. Maybe that's not quite so hilarious.

So, with jesus watching, 159 Washington State coaches, reprimanded for sexual misconduct from harrassment to rape, walk into a bar....

DAN

Sam F
04-24-2008, 07:35 PM
So, with jesus watching,...... you seem to be fairly unconcerned with the abuse that goes on in your own neighborhood.
I think that bit of flagrant hypocrisy is nicely exposed... thank you.

Sam F
04-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Farrah Fawcett or Steve Fosset?

The one named Steve:

http://www.morrellimelvin.com/rolex_files/psfossett.jpg

Kaa[/QUOTE]

Genuinely curious too... what do people think of him, his motives and the risks he took?

Nanoose
04-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Was he ever found?

Kaa
04-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Genuinely curious too... what do people think of him, his motives and the risks he took?

I like him. I generally like people who want to go off and do something that hasn't been done before. The risks he took -- it's up to him to decide what's acceptable risk for him and what's not. I tend to think that modern Western societies are horribly fearful and way overcautious, anyway...

Kaa

Sam F
04-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Was he ever found?

Not that I ever heard. One must feel sorry for his wife, friends and employees.

Paul Girouard
04-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Was he ever found?

No ,

James Stephen Fossett (April 22 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_22), 1944 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1944) – missing September 3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_3), 2007 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007), declared legally dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legally_dead) February 15 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_15), 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008)[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Fossett#cite_note-nytdeath-0)[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Fossett#cite_note-bbcdeath-1)) was an American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) aviator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviator), sailor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailor), and adventurer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventurer) who became the first person to fly solo nonstop around the world in a balloon.

On November 26 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_26), 2007 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007), Fossett's wife requested that Fossett be declared legally dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_in_absentia)

Every body dies some time , the Priest just sped things up. Pretty stupid really. :rolleyes:

BETTY-B
04-25-2008, 04:01 AM
One must feel sorry for his wife, friends and employees.

Well ya, Frisbee sorry...

Tylerdurden
04-25-2008, 04:03 AM
http://www.myclassiclyrics.com/artist_biographies/Farrah-Fawcett-3.jpg

I though it was a little ghey no photos of Farrah but many of Steve.

Rigadog
04-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Thank God, there is a bill on the floor of the House to regulate the sale of party balloons as we speak. This isn't the first time someone has soared in the path of Icarus. There was that guy in southern Calif. who tied a bunch to a chaise lounge and took off. He carries a gun of some kind to shoot the balloons to control assent.
These stunts are very entertaining to the sober and earthbound, but I agree with congressman Hugh Upshot about the need to limit access these and all other potentially dangerous latex devices.

Sam F
04-25-2008, 07:08 AM
...who became the first person to fly solo nonstop around the world in a balloon... Every body dies some time , the Priest just sped things up. Pretty stupid really.

In what way is Steve Fossett different?

Mrleft8
04-25-2008, 07:11 AM
There are calculated risks....And there are dumb risks.... An experienced pilot disappearing is a calculated risk... A priest hooking up 1,000 balloons disappearing is a dumb risk. (IMHO)

Sam F
04-25-2008, 07:21 AM
There are calculated risks....And there are dumb risks.... An experienced pilot disappearing is a calculated risk... A priest hooking up 1,000 balloons disappearing is a dumb risk. (IMHO)

The accounts don't seem to support a thoughtless process. A mistaken one certainly, but not uncalculated.

Um... Mr Fossett took lots and lots of calculated risks. And he took them, as far as I can tell, for some rather odd reasons.
You know, you just can't keep taking risks, even calculated ones, over and over and expect to win every time.
So again I ask what's the difference?

Mrleft8
04-25-2008, 07:25 AM
It's only an opinion Sam.... I'm not claiming any inside information.

Sam F
04-25-2008, 07:37 AM
It's only an opinion Sam.... I'm not claiming any inside information.

Me neither. But on published accounts we do know something.
For instance what was the priest's motive for taking his risk?
And what were Mr. Fossett's motives for taking many risks?
I wonder why the one is condemned as stupid while the other gets a pass - or even accolades.

Why's that?

TimH
04-25-2008, 09:32 AM
I wonder why the one is condemned as stupid while the other gets a pass - or even accolades.

Why's that?

Fosset broke tons of world records by taking his calculated risks. That was his goal in life and he was successful at it. He was a great adventurer.

Hooking up 1000 balloons to a chair is no where near the same thing. Thats just dumb.

Sam F
04-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Fosset broke tons of world records by taking his calculated risks. That was his goal in life and he was successful at it. He was a great adventurer.

Letssee if I get this right:
So if you're rich, spend a major fortune to risk your life repeatedly for your own personal glory and/or because you're a danger junkie and finally lose it... you're a "great adventurer".

But if you risk your life raising money for charity... "Thats just dumb."

Do I have that right?

Paul Girouard
04-25-2008, 10:08 AM

Why's that?

I'm no Steve Fossett "fan" his risks did have some "better" factoring / safety minded prethought / planning, IMO. Although he did NOT file a flight plan on his last flight , which I mentioned way back when he first went missing and was told most pilots of small A/C DO NOT file flight plans for missions / flights such as he was taking. But He did have fuel , a good A/C , lots of divert field , basic control of his A/C , maybe he had a heart attack , or stroked out , we may never know, sometimes that "just life" and death as much as we'd like not to think about it is , in a way , just part of life / the cycle of life.

When he went missing he was in a aircraft , I'm sure a nice one as he had the coin to have the best , apparently he DID NOT have a GPS IIRC . We bashed that around back when he first when missing , I took a load of crap for being a Steve "bash-er" on that thread.

His risk on that aircraft flight was way less than the Priest who "called after he was airborne " to find out how his GPS "WORKED".

Both took risks , and like Lefty said strapping yourself to a bunch of balloons to raise money without having a escape / rescue / "how this going to work out "IF" ( contingency planning) plan in PLACE BEFORE you need it , seems rather stupid to me.

And it is , again , like Lefty wrote , just a opinion. Like butt holes every ones got one and they all stink!:D

TimH
04-25-2008, 10:09 AM
So if you're rich, spend a major fortune to risk your life repeatedly for your own personal glory and/or because you're a danger junkie and finally loose it... you're a "great adventurer".

Do I have that right?

raising money for charity by doing something dumb...is just dumb. Most people raise money for charity by running a marathon or walking 30 miles.

Kaa
04-25-2008, 10:34 AM
In what way is Steve Fossett different?

He was smarter :-)

I think tying your chair to helium balloons and taking off into the sky is a wonderful thing to do. But -- and it's a big BUT -- taking a GPS with you and then while aloft figuring out you have no idea how to use it is stupid.

It's one thing to to take risks that you're aware of and prepared for. It's another thing to go blundering about.

But frankly, I suspect that a lot of comments about that priest are driven by (1) fear and dislike of risk; and (2) the fact that he died. No one likes a loser.

Kaa

Sam F
04-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Notice I have not said that the priest's stunt was exactly a good idea.
Only that there's a double standard about... as usual.

He was smarter :-)

He was richer. That we know for sure.
As for smarter - that's pure conjecture.
We also know that Fossett took risks - risks with serious consequences - and he did so very often.
How smart is that?
Not very.
And the results of "smart" risks vs. dumb risk?
Exactly the same.

But frankly, I suspect that a lot of comments about that priest are driven by (1) fear and dislike of risk; and (2) the fact that he died. No one likes a loser.

Kaa

I can agree with that.

Tom Montgomery
04-26-2008, 08:27 AM
So there is no difference between between a "smart" (calculated) risk and a "dumb" risk?

That would be news to, among others, professional stunt men.

Too bad about the priest. But that was truly a dumb risk.

Joe (SoCal)
04-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Was Fossett a catholic ? ;)

Phillip Allen
04-26-2008, 09:05 AM
...and just like those idiots who refuse to wear bicycle helmets...they cause my insurance rates to go up...I think neighborhood covenants should be applied to the general populace for my sake

Tom Montgomery
04-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Hey ya'll! Watch this!

Joe (SoCal)
04-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Hey ya'll! Watch this!

It's Bubba hold my beer, Hey ya'll! Watch this!

Phillip Allen
04-26-2008, 09:23 AM
then you guys agree the balloon thing is a red neck trick and the other guy as well...should be prevented by law from endangering my insurance rates?

Joe (SoCal)
04-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Guy in Boston did and some one in LA they both lived and did the talk show circut
just stupid is as stupid does ;)

George Jung
04-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Both men showed 'substandard' judgement, truth be told. Fosset was not taking advantage of his knowledge base, was ill-prepared for his emergency, and in that sense perhaps was the bigger Darwin candidate.
If you look at his 'career', there's definitely the sense that he was tempting the fates, perhaps even more.
There have been several posts about the priest not knowing how to use his gps; I didn't see that in the story - but regardless, flying in a lawnchair wasn't particularly smart, either. I'm not sure 'ranking them' makes much sense.

Rigadog
04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
You'll never believe what I just saw fly over my house.

Chip-skiff
04-26-2008, 10:20 PM
"About suffering, they were never wrong,
The Old Masters: how well they understood. . . .

In Brueghel's Icarus, for instance: how everything turns away
Quite leisurely from the disaster: the ploughman may
Have heard the splash, the forsaken cry,
But for him it was not an important failure; the sun shone
As it had to on the white legs disappearing into the green
Water; and the expensive delicate ship that must have seen
Something amazing, a boy falling out of the sky,
Had somewhere to get to and sailed calmly on."

—from "Musée des Beaux Arts" by W. H. Auden, 1940.

stevebaby
04-28-2008, 01:44 AM
You'll never believe what I just saw fly over my house.You'll never guess what I saw come out of the exhaust duct of the commuter jet I was on yesterday.

kharee
04-28-2008, 07:08 AM
All we need now is a Muslim Cleric going for the record with 2000 balloons.

Phillip Allen
04-28-2008, 08:02 AM
All we need now is a Muslim Cleric going for the record with 2000 balloons.

yes but they will be black balloons...

Phillip Allen
04-28-2008, 08:04 AM
A Berkley proff wanted to try but couldn't get it off the ground...used Lycra balloons instead of laytex...but he/she failed in style

Paul Pless
04-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Maybe W, could be interested in a record attempt...

Phillip Allen
04-28-2008, 08:37 AM
maybe ill-jay would try it...needs a swivel joint though...and it won't take as many balloons because he's a light-weight

Rigadog
04-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Who'd of guessed that a missing priest would generate this volume of posts.

skuthorp
04-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Maybe a non-catholic could try it with condoms. The fancy coloured ones?

py
04-28-2008, 11:18 PM

-that depends-but lets assume the voyage absolutely must be undertaken-move or perish. How would you decide who to leave behind?

skuthorp
04-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Depends on the trip PY, and the people, there's a precedent:
{ALEXANDER PIERCE
Alexander Pierce was transported to Van Diemen's Land in 1819 on a sentence of seven years for being a "pick pocket". He arrived on the ship "Castle Forbes" and between 18th May and 29th November 1821, received no less than 150 lashes for various misdemeanours. As this miscreant could not behave himself, the authorities sent him away to Macquarie Harbour, which had a notorious reputation of being one of the worst penal establishments in the colonies.
Some months later, on 20th September 1822, in the times of Lieutenant-Governor George Arthur, eight prisoners escaped from the penal settlement at Macquarie Harbour. They were: Thomas Bodenham, James Brown, Bill Cornelius, Alexander Dalton, Bob Greenhill, John Mathers, Alexander Pierce, and Matthew Travers. They hid in the mountains opposite the settlement during the day, and then walked all night and the next eight days over very rough country. Cold and wet, tired and weak from hunger, four men - Cornelius, Greenhill, Mathers and Travers agreed on committing a devilish atrocity: someone must be killed and eaten to save the others from dying of hunger! Greenhill said that they all had to be equally guilty, and offered an "encouragement" - he would do the first killing and eat the first bit. They decided to kill Dalton, because while in prison, he had voluntarily offered himself to act as a flogger. When Dalton slept, Greenhill killed him by striking him on the head with an axe. Then the men ate the heart and liver, Greenhill having the first bite before it had turned cold. "To my taste, it is like pork", he commented. The body of the dead man was divided so that everyone got his share.
During the next four days they crossed a river, and noticed that Cornelius and Brown, who went ahead, were missing. Still, the remaining group went on, got up a steep hill and found very barren ground in front of them, covered with scrub. Hunger and tiredness claimed another victim - this time it was Bodenham. Greenhill, who emerged in Bodenham's shoes, announced in cold blood: "Done!" Next day they rested and dried the meat, then they were on the move again. Mathers and Pierce secretly agreed to disappear, before Greenhill killed them, but it was too late - within two days, Mathers became Greenhill's third victim. Soon Matt Travers became the fourth one, but his murderer didn't live long either. While asleep, Pierce snatched Greenhill's own axe and killed him. He survived the next six days on a thigh and one arm he took, and later, travelling along a river, he came on a flock of sheep, belonging to Mr Tom Triffet. He survived on the meat from several of these animals for three weeks, then moved on, and finally met two rogues and joined them in stealing sheep and robbing the stations until the day when soldiers captured them. Pierce confessed to the theft of 250 sheep, while one gold and two silver watches were found on him.. As a "bolter", he was sent back to Macquarie Harbour, but on 16th November, 1823, he managed to escape again, this time with another prisoner, named Thomas Cox. When recaptured, Pierce, who wore Cox's clothes, confessed that he had not only killed Cox, but also ate part of his body. He told his captors where the remaining pieces of the body were to be found, and without remorse, he boasted about his cannibalism and atrocities in the bush.
As could be expected, Alexander Pierce was sentenced to death and hanged in early 1824, and as instructed by the court, his body was dissected before burial..}

stevebaby
04-28-2008, 11:42 PM
So if you're rich, spend a major fortune to risk your life repeatedly for your own personal glory and/or because you're a danger junkie and finally lose it... you're a "great adventurer".

Do I have that right?Yep.