PDA

View Full Version : Kids and cell phones

S.V. Airlie
04-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Latest thing seems to be kids sending nude pictures of themselves to their friends.:eek:

If you get your kid a phone, KISS.. no cameras etc. Just the basic model.

Tylerdurden
04-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Standby Jaimie, its worse than that.
Photo's group sex, My son told me about menus and I was horrified.
Seems in his high school some girls have rates and print them out with their screen names.
My long distance girlfriend is a pharmacist and says if people really knew how many girls have std's they would flip. She said every class of kid too.

Its all building up to something and nobody is really paying attention.

Tom Wilkinson
04-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Latest thing seems to be kids sending nude pictures of themselves to their friends.:eek:

If you get your kid a phone, KISS.. no cameras etc. Just the basic model.

Good luck getting a phone with no camers. Vrizon didn't have any like that when I was in the market. (at least not for what I was paying)

S.V. Airlie
04-15-2008, 07:48 AM
When I was that age..
I was working, enjoying country living
etc.
Cell phones did not exist.
Computers did not exist.
Calculators may have existed but only were in the hands of a few
The raciest TV program was Lassie or Rin Tin Tin

S.V. Airlie
04-15-2008, 08:00 AM
Fred.. you referring to umm the one on the left or right?;):D

Actually, if I am not mistaken, all Lassies were males..

Tylerdurden
04-15-2008, 08:30 AM
My policy was if you want a cell phone you pay for it. The girls could not do without so 16 it was. The boy still hasn't got one, his friends bug him but he says he doesn't want to be bothered. He is 19

S.V. Airlie
04-15-2008, 08:31 AM
That makes sense Fred.

The buz on the radio was that these cell phone kids were in 6th-9th grades.
I look at a child of 19 not as a child anymore.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-15-2008, 08:45 AM
When I was that age..
I was working, enjoying country living
etc.
Cell phones did not exist.
Computers did not exist.
Calculators may have existed but only were in the hands of a few
The raciest TV program was Lassie or Rin Tin Tin

Now show us how to get a square root from an abacus.

Keith Wilson
04-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Latest thing seems to be kids sending nude pictures of themselves to their friends.Oh, calm down, Jamie. I have teenage kids. They don't do that. There were probably ten kids in L.A. who did this as a joke, and it got into the papers and became "the latest thing". It's the latest selection of the Terror of the Month Club. We have far more serious things to worry about.

BrianW
04-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Got one for my 10 year old daughter. She likes it, it was cheap, everyone's happy.

Joe (SoCal)
04-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Got one for my 10 year old daughter. She likes it, it was cheap, everyone's happy.

Same

Tylerdurden
04-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Oh, calm down, Jamie. I have teenage kids. They don't do that. There were probably ten kids in L.A. who did this as a joke, and it got into the papers and became "the latest thing". It's the latest selection of the Terror of the Month Club. We have far more serious things to worry about.

Famous last words.......

Had an idiot who bragged about how well he knew his kid and how they talk all the time. Ripped right of some stupid arse public service commercial.
My kid will never do drugs, My kid will not drink or smoke, My kid etc.
Kid got bailed out a few weeks back, involved in a high speed chase, found coke, pot and heroin in the car with the 12 and 13 year old girls he had picked up who were both drunk and high.
Kid is 17 and lucky for him as 18 he would be facing a minimum 5 years as plush pillow for bubba.

Anytime you hear someone saying he knows what kids are up to they are wrong. Garunteeeeed!

Spin_Drift
04-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Cass has had a cell phone (GSM) since she was 10 years old. Thats about 8 years now.

She has never abused it and her phone bills are always under 5euros a month.

The cell phone has been great for her to have. In the beginning she'd call home when she got out of the school bus (this is when she wanted to walk (the mile) home alone.) She had to walk by some fields and through a dark forest.

It was also good for her to have when she went horseback riding alone. It was like having a life-line of sorts.

She has a 2 mega pixel camera and feels it does her fine. She takes pictures of horses, pets, friends, nature, fine cars etc.

The thought of taking nude pix or some weird pix has never crossed her mind...

Kaa
04-15-2008, 10:23 AM

LOL. Hello and welcome to the human race. Why are you surprised?

Kaa

mmd
04-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Awww, c'mon!

Everyone knows that kids don't take pics of themselves nekkid - they use the phone cameras to take pics of airports and tank farms and seaports and e-mail them to hidden terror cells in Peoria in preparation for the GWOA (Global War On America) that will unify all countries into Gondwandaland under the rule of the elite descendants of the Templars. It's a conspiracy of the ancient money using the technologically-gifted innocents, don't ya know? <wink>

S.V. Airlie
04-15-2008, 10:25 AM
LOL. Hello and welcome to the human race. Why are you surprised?

Kaa

Umm I wasn't brought up that way.. So, yes, a bit surprised Kaa.

Everyone in every generation has been subjected to 'peer pressure'. I suspect for those who went away to school ( 9-12th) that they would say there was a lot of peer pressure.
I just never paid much attention to it. This, as I understand, is a new form of peer pressure and the needs of some to be accepted.

Tylerdurden
04-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Umm I wasn't brought up that way.. So, yes, a bit surprised Kaa.

Rent a room and watch the TV for kids these days. No surprises.
We will sell sex to teens everyday but tell them don't do it.
Christ I cannot imagine how hard it is for a kid today not to be confused on what is right or wrong..
Not the kids fault, its ours.
Don't see many 12 year olds in corner offices on Madison ave.:eek:

Keith Wilson
04-15-2008, 10:29 AM
My son used his to take pictures of the engine of his car when he was taking the intake manifold off. We then blew it up on the computer to make sure we got all the little bits and vacuum hoses back in the right place. Very helpful.

S.V. Airlie
04-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Well, for starters I don't watch a great deal of TV.. In fact..I have not even looked at one in three months. Oh wait, I watched 25 minutes of a History Channel program last week.
Kinda interesting.

Kaa
04-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Umm I wasn't brought up that way.

Some things have changed since you were a kid, Jamie :-)

Other things, like the human interest in sex, have not :D :D

This, as I understand, is a new form of peer pressure and the needs of some to be accepted.

I would be wary of drawing general conclusions on the basis of one hysterical news report.

Kaa

Tylerdurden
04-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Well, for starters I don't watch a great deal of TV.. In fact..I have not even looked at one in three months. Oh wait, I watched 25 minutes of a History Channel program last week.
Kinda interesting.

Same here. I turn it on once in a while to check up on the Liecasters.
I watch it and think of how many actually believe the crap they are fed and then turn it off.

Joe (SoCal)
04-15-2008, 10:44 AM
My son used his to take pictures of the engine of his car when he was taking the intake manifold off. We then blew it up on the computer to make sure we got all the little bits and vacuum hoses back in the right place. Very helpful.

Ummm my last 200 photos posted have been with my cell phone camera. My daughter sends me photos and little videos from hers.

I keep a close monitor on all things and I'm very Tech savvy so I can check her phone better than she can ;)

TomF
04-15-2008, 10:57 AM
TD,

Like Keith, I'm not too worried about my own kids. That mostly reflects their innate good sense, but also some parenting choices made consistently over the years that go against the popular flow.

Will they make stupid choices sometimes? Sure. But they actively shun the crowd taking drugs, doing petty crime, and getting vastly promiscuous - very little interest in the self-destruction. Instead, they find it a lot more fun to hang out with kids who like to get good grades, and are active in stuff like theater arts, music, debating, and various social causes. To a person, their friends are funny, sweet people.

Lest you conclude I'm not seeing the truth ... I developed a pretty refined BS meter when I worked in child welfare ... honed by dozens of clients whose job it was to snow me. Not coincidentally, I also spent a lot of time sitting in courtrooms with some of those same kids, as a result of their extracurricular activities.

Yeah, it's important to ask why so many teens engage in risky behaviour ... and be willing to hear the answers that have rather large implications for how parents order their own priorities. But there are a lot of well-put-together kids out there too, who shouldn't be forgotten because of the self-destructive crowd.

Tylerdurden
04-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Tom, I am glad you are fortunate, I consider myself too, though the boy is a bit of trouble its still far less than my time as a kid.
Family many times have that one kid who is out of control but the others are fine. It depends on so many factors.

I just will point out that more often than not a parent is shocked when something goes sideways in a child's life. There are no warranty's with kids.

BrianY
04-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Basic phones with no bells and whistles are available through TracPhone and other pay as you go services. These services are great for kids becasue the kids can be required to pay for as much or as little talk time as they actually use (you buy talk time minutes every month so you only pay for what you ues). Kids who use their phones minimally pay very little while kids who use them a lot pay more. They learn a direct association between time on the phone and dollars spent.

paladin
04-15-2008, 11:47 AM
PISN.........
I have a silver Abacus tie tack...it works.....

Put the number you want to root in the right hand end of the abacus. Count columns in twos from the decimal point, until you get to the greatest significant pair of columns. This will be the pair of columns you will start operating on first, as if the decimal point were just after the right hand column of the pair.

Put 1 bead up on the leftmost column. This is worth 1 unit.

Subtract 1 unit from the MSP (Most Significant Pair of columns) as if they represented a number from 1 to 99.

Add two to the one on the left to make three.

If there are still three worth left in the MSP, subract three from it and add another two to the workspace to make five.

Carry on the cycle of subtracting the value of the workspace from the MSP and adding two to the workspace each time you could.

The last time you subtract the workspace from the MSP, just add one, not two.

Now multiply the workspace by ten and add one.

Move the MSP market two columns to the right.

Iterate.

When you have got down to the last two columns, if the original number was an exact square, the last subtraction should exactly wipe out the residue of the original number. If not, there is your remainder.

To get the root value, add a final one to the workspace, and divide it by two. There's your square root.

Tylerdurden
04-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Experts: Nude Cell Phone Pictures Now Part Of Teen Dating

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=9388d61e-e62c-4fcf-a981-fe8b563ab37 (http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=9388d61e-e62c-4fcf-a981-fe8b563ab37c)

Experts???

MattL
04-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Keith Wilson http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1815734#post1815734) Oh, calm down, Jamie. I have teenage kids. They don't do that. There were probably ten kids in L.A. who did this as a joke, and it got into the papers and became "the latest thing". It's the latest selection of the Terror of the Month Club. We have far more serious things to worry about.

The teacher in the room next to me, I teach in Jr. High, took a phone from a kid the other day and gave it to a security officer. The guy told him, it probably has more nude photos of the kids girl friend.

Tabitha ( Gaff rig girl )
04-17-2008, 02:23 PM
TD,

Like Keith, I'm not too worried about my own kids. That mostly reflects their innate good sense, but also some parenting choices made consistently over the years that go against the popular flow.

Will they make stupid choices sometimes? Sure. But they actively shun the crowd taking drugs, doing petty crime, and getting vastly promiscuous - very little interest in the self-destruction. Instead, they find it a lot more fun to hang out with kids who like to get good grades, and are active in stuff like theater arts, music, debating, and various social causes. To a person, their friends are funny, sweet people.

Lest you conclude I'm not seeing the truth ... I developed a pretty refined BS meter when I worked in child welfare ... honed by dozens of clients whose job it was to snow me. Not coincidentally, I also spent a lot of time sitting in courtrooms with some of those same kids, as a result of their extracurricular activities.

Yeah, it's important to ask why so many teens engage in risky behaviour ... and be willing to hear the answers that have rather large implications for how parents order their own priorities. But there are a lot of well-put-together kids out there too, who shouldn't be forgotten because of the self-destructive crowd.

I totally agree with you here. My boys are only 8 and 9 years old at this point in time so I'm HOPING it will be YEARS before I have to worry too much about them with these so called "extracurricular" activities. I didn't have the best parent-child relationship with my parents...I kinda grew up figuring things out for myself. I've made it a point to maintain an open, trusting relationship with both of my boys. I think parenting is the most difficult job one could have, but then again, the most rewarding.

I consider myself very lucky to have such great kids. I hope that they will always be open and honest with me about their lives and choices. But at this point they're both great kids, they do well in school, and I try my hardest to keep them motivated in the right direction...so far so good ;)

In my opinion, they are too young to be worried about cell phones and such. They do have a Firefly (cell phone for kids) with only 4 numbers programmed. Maybe I can drag this out until they're like 20...ya think? LOL

Tylerdurden
04-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Not to pee on anyones parental head but there is another good reason to delay cell phone use in children and teens.

Microwave range radio frequency energy aimed right next to their head.

In Ham radio they have handhelds near the same frequency but hams were smart enough to keep the power levels down to a minimum and manufacturers recommend using a speaker microphone for safety from"Harmful" radiation.

If you knew the Prozac you were giving your kid could cause brain tumors later in life would you still let him take it?

Food for thought.

brad9798
04-17-2008, 06:42 PM
My 11 year-old has this ... thus I control who she can and cannot call.

Works well, and she really likes it.

http://cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/phones/lg/lg_vx1000.jpg

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Cellphones are just another tool - a bit like a well knapped rock

Top marks to Paladin.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~totton/soroban/katoSq/

Michael Beckman
04-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Not to pee on anyones parental head but there is another good reason to delay cell phone use in children and teens.

Microwave range radio frequency energy aimed right next to their head.

In Ham radio they have handhelds near the same frequency but hams were smart enough to keep the power levels down to a minimum and manufacturers recommend using a speaker microphone for safety from"Harmful" radiation.

If you knew the Prozac you were giving your kid could cause brain tumors later in life would you still let him take it?

Food for thought.

The entire world is chock full of radio waves. :/

The Bigfella
04-18-2008, 02:57 AM
I keep a close monitor on all things and I'm very Tech savvy so I can check her phone better than she can ;)

.... and you reckon when she figures out you don't trust her that you'll be popular?

My last two phones have been hand-me-downs from my youngest.

Michael Beckman
04-18-2008, 03:03 AM
Also, cellphones dont work so well when full of sand. So don't go jumping into the sand with your phone in your pocket. Its hard to clean that stuff out. Also, having a slots style contacts list is hard! (my down button got stuck >_>)

Tylerdurden
04-18-2008, 03:19 AM
The entire world is chock full of radio waves. :/

RF exposure has a lot to do with how powerful the signal is.
So why not hold it against your head?

Michael Beckman
04-18-2008, 03:29 AM
I have a feeling that all the chemicals related to boatbuilding are a whole hell of a lot worse. :P

Tylerdurden
04-18-2008, 04:52 AM
I have a feeling that all the chemicals related to boatbuilding are a whole hell of a lot worse. :P

You can wear rubber gloves and tyvek suits for chemicals.

How bout a nice set of Faraday coveralls with a hood? I hear chain mail is in this year:D