PDA

View Full Version : Meyer lemons

elf
04-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Anybody on this list got a Meyer lemon tree?

seanz
04-13-2008, 06:52 PM
List?
This is a arboreal based aquatic anarco syndicalist cyber commune

And don't you forget it.
:)

Yes I have a Meyer lemon.

elf
04-13-2008, 07:27 PM
You don't know how lucky you are!

elf
04-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Anybody in CA or FL or thereabouts have a Meyer Lemon tree?

skuthorp
04-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Yes, in the garden, most older gardens will have one. Cut it back by 2/3 last winter and it's cropping like mad now in spite of the dry.
Possums are our biggest enemy!

jack grebe
04-13-2008, 07:52 PM
ok, I'll bite:rolleyes:
Whats a meyer lemon tree:confused:

elf
04-13-2008, 07:53 PM
What does a wrinkled up possum mouth look like!

seanz
04-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Possums are our biggest enemy!

Let vigilance be your watchword.

Frost is the killer here and our lemon is struggling but making gains.
There is a nice mature lemon tree just across the road so success is possible. A lot relies on microclimate in this area. When we first arrived in NZ we lived in small valley near the sea (Sumner) not too far from here and that place had one of the nicest lemon trees.
Meyer lemons...... Mmmmmmm sweeet, just squeeze straight into a glass of water, no need for sugar.

skuthorp
04-13-2008, 07:57 PM
They just chew the skin off Elf, and sometimes the bark.

The Meyer lemon (Citrus meyeri) is a citrus fruit, native to China, thought to be a cross between a true lemon and a mandarin orange or sweet orange. The Meyer lemon was introduced to the United States in 1908 as S.P.I. #23028, by the agricultural explorer Frank Meyer, an employee of the United States Department of Agriculture who collected a sample of the plant on a trip to China. It is commonly grown in China potted as an ornamental plant. It became popular as a food item in the United States after being rediscovered by chefs, such as Alice Waters at Chez Panisse, during the California Cuisine revolution. The Meyer lemon is also known as the Valley lemon in southern Texas due to its popularity in the Rio Grande Valley region.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meyer_lemon

elf
04-13-2008, 08:00 PM
It's a fruit tree that produces Meyer lemons. They're a cross between lemons and tangerines, about 2.5"-3" long, with beautiful orange-yellow skin, smooth skin, fabulous scent and sweet-tart flavor. Very juicy with a thin skin which one can eat if one is in a really pissed off mood. They do have seeds, but one can cook with the entire fruit, slicing it thinly and layering it with chicken or fish in a roasting pan, or chopping it and mixing the pieces into stuffing for chicken or pork chops.

The scent fills up the house when you bring them in, and fills up the car as you drive them home from the store.

After you eat a Meyer lemon you never want to use a regular lemon again.

They ship OK and even if they freeze one can turn them in to lemon curd, or any sort of lemon blend with other fruit to make jam.

But they don't grow in New England and I'm not in CA or further south.

And they cost an arm and three or four legs in the grocery stores here.

jack grebe
04-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Meyer lemons...... Mmmmmmm sweeet, just squeeze straight into a glass of water, no need for sugar.
Ok, sweet lemons:D. the folks out back got 1, right on the other side of the fence......I eat them things right off the tree:cool:.

elf
04-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Yup. That's it.

Can you ship me about a dozen?

jack grebe
04-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I ate them things right off the tree for 2 yrs before I even knew they were lemons:eek:.
They are a PITA to peel, normally just 1/4 and eat.
Ya shoulda posted this at harvest time.....you're a couple of months late:p

jack grebe
04-13-2008, 08:06 PM
They are normally ready bout late Jan/ early Feb

elf
04-13-2008, 08:07 PM
They're peaking in S. CA right now. When is harvest time where you are Jack? And what does it smell like when they're blooming? I've never been around them then, only when the fruit is ripe.

jack grebe
04-13-2008, 08:12 PM
I dunno....never really paid much attention to it.
I will look tomorrow to see if it has bloomed yet

elf
04-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Lemons, not ciggies!!!

Oooh. Imagine Meyer lemon meringue pie!