French commandos swoop after pirates free hostages

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSL1188558720080411

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Can't possibly be right.

Cheese eating surrender monkeys don't do that.:D

skuthorp
04-13-2008, 05:42 PM
"The French navy sent 2 boats to the area, with 4 or 5 helicopters on board and around 50 commandos. A French admiral was also parachuted into the sea and picked up by the task force to help lead the operation."

Can you imagine a US, (or Aussie) admiral for that matter parachuting into the sea to lead an op?. Incidentally the French claim a sector of the Antarctic and have no trouble with fishing poachers because they have warships in the area and stat that they will simply sink any intruders.

carioca1232001
04-13-2008, 06:14 PM
........Can you imagine a US, (or Aussie) admiral for that matter parachuting into the sea to lead an op?................

Not sure if the ethos of the French Armed Forces is echoed by this Admiralīs alleged attitudes and actions, or if the latter is more of the exception than the rule......

High C
04-13-2008, 07:33 PM
...Cheese eating surrender monkeys don't do that.:D

Ahh, seperated by a common language once again...it's brie sipping surrender monkeys! :D

Peter Eikenberry
04-13-2008, 08:28 PM
As usual you prefer to believe all the crap pushed off about the French by the current administration. None of which is true. France has one of the finest and most feared commando units in the world and is renowned for it's "take no prisoners" attitude. As a retired member of our armed forces I would not have wanted to ever come up against these guys unless I was backed up by Seals or Special Ops and even then I think it would be very dicey.

Three Cedars
04-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Not many first ladies look like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Reddog12/FirstLadya.jpg

MarkC
04-14-2008, 04:39 AM
The Pirates are still alive? :mad:

They are to be tried in France.:rolleyes:

Fantastic! - there they can live better in prison as they do in Somalia. Earn money in prison to send back to their families, get ALL of their health requirements met in prison (new teeth, any needed operations, supervised fitness).

Great! for pulling off the crime of PIRACY they get an "all you can eat" holiday in France, learn a bit of French and apply for citizenship on hardship grounds. :mad:

Please excuse my bile but I would have preferred the OLD English punishment for captured pirates. At low tide, hands and feet tied to stakes, head down on the slipway ... and wait for the tide.

or simply remove them from the food chain.

Now that the rest of the gangs and communities in this region have seen that most of the pirates got away and only some of the money was saved they will all try it.

Peter Eikenberry
04-14-2008, 09:23 AM
I'll grant you Carla Bruni is a hottie, and marrying her is probably Sarkozy's biggest mistake. Apparently all this stuff in the press about his marriage has pissed off millions of French voters. In France you simply do not talk about such things. The French consider this as going Hollywood. It is consider Tres Gauche to air your dirty linen in public.

Frankly I'm surprised they didn't just shoot the lot of them.

Mrleft8
04-14-2008, 09:26 AM
"Vive"..... "Viva" is Spanglish... ;)

Tanbark Spanker
04-14-2008, 07:57 PM
I thought US admirals were all about daring do.

carioca1232001
04-14-2008, 08:17 PM
.....Frankly I'm surprised they didn't just shoot the lot of them.

Over coffee this morning at the Yacht Club, a London-based shipīs broker made it known to us that pirates in Somalia have close ties to the government of that country, political, economic or whatever

It is not a simple matter to deal with them as one pleases.

Tanbark Spanker
04-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Looks like we taught the Somalians everything they know.

skuthorp
04-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Rather like the Indonesians, and dare we say it, the Nth Koreans and Chinese? Just private(eer) enterprise at work, surely you have no argument with that?