PDA

View Full Version : How easy is it to make Ethanol(sp)?

jack grebe
04-12-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm thinking about trying it. Really it is just distilled alcohol is it not?
Could it be done in small batch quanities easily.....I am thinking
moped fuel

Alexander2
04-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Hmmmmnnnn , why do you REALLY ask that question?
You just quit smoking and now want to know how to make alcohol.
Trading one addiction for another?;):D

[Its easy but by the time you buy the ingredients,get the license, make the distillery and spend the time I'm not sure it will save you money.Unless you sold some after dark, to the neighbors.:)]

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/07/how_to_homebrew.php

paladin
04-12-2008, 01:22 PM
All you need is a liebig (sp) condenser and a lotta patience.....but when you start buying the ingredients and the neighbors smell the still they will call the feds....but...make the mash from garbage, potato peelings, grains, etc......dunno your travel distances....but an electric moped might make more sense.......if you want to experiment....I have a brand spanking new motor that mounts on the front wheel of a bicycle, ala velo solex, never been used......about 1/2 to 3/4 hp...just needs a couple of mounting brackets, tank integral, with handlebar controls......originally I bought it with the thought of putting it on one of the stainless steel dahon folding bikes that I have....but never did it.....

jack grebe
04-12-2008, 01:43 PM
[Its easy but by the time you buy the ingredients,get the license, make the distillery and spend the time I'm not sure it will save you money.Unless you sold some after dark, to the neighbors.:)]

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/07/how_to_homebrew.php
license....LICENSE.....I DON'T NEED NO STINKING LICENSE:D.
When you cook the alcohol off, how do you tell when the potency drops below what can be used for fuel.

paladin
04-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Temperature control.....controlled heat, lotsa ventillation.....

George Roberts
04-12-2008, 04:02 PM
I think the difficult part is getting the last of the water out.

Spin_Drift
04-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Distill it twice...

Takes out the rest of the water and increases the percentage of alcohol...

Milo Christensen
04-12-2008, 04:39 PM
You can get a BATF permit to distill alcohol into fuel.

Jack, what are you planning to use for feedstock?

And what is your proposed fuel source for running the boiler?

StevenBauer
04-12-2008, 04:41 PM
We did an experiment in science in 8th grade that makes it all clear. :D We had a clear liquid and were told to try to figure out what it was. We set it to boil and kept track of the temperature of the boiling vessel. First it boiled at 78C, we condensed the vapor into a test tube. After a while the temp in the boiling vessel went up a little. We condensed that into a separate test tube. Then the temp went up again, to 100C, this was also condensed into a tube. When we did the final analysis it turned out the liquid we started with was ethanol mixed with water. While the temp was 78c the alchohol was boiling off. When the temp rose a little it was the alcohol that had dissolved in the water that was boiling off. Once all the alcohol was gone the temp went up to 100c. So our three test tube contained ethanol, a mix of ethanol and water and the last one, just water.

So for your purposes, Jack, just keep track of the temperatue in the boiling vessel and as soon as it starts to rise above 78c you've got all the pure alcohol. :D Of course all this happened in 1973 so if I didn't remember it right don't be too surprised. :)

Steven

Tylerdurden
04-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Plans around for a reflux still. Here is a good primer
http://www.moonshine-still.com/page6.htm

Trick item is to use SS dairy fittings so its easy to take down and clean. In times of bad water it will serve double duty in the purification process.

The model T was originally designed to run on alcohol.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-12-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm thinking about trying it. Really it is just distilled alcohol is it not?
Could it be done in small batch quanities easily.....I am thinking
moped fuel

If you have to ask...