PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy Goop

Mrleft8
04-09-2008, 10:35 AM
OK Carter's gone and tangled with the evil weed. In summer I'd tell her to crush up some jewel weed and rub the affected area with the sap, but there isn't any jewel weed around at this time of year. From my recolection, Calamine lotion is just an old wives tale. Witch hazel will take away the itch, but not dry up the blisters....So what's YOUR favorite remedy for the P.I. rash?

JTA
04-09-2008, 10:44 AM
I suffer terribly from it. What I do now is really strange but it works for me. I run the hottest water I can stand over the effected area for a few minutes. The hot water treatment stops the itching for about 8 hours. The blisters dry up on their own in a week or so. When I have taken steroids to reduce the blisters they still dry up in a week or so. No difference in my mind. So my current treatment is hot water, no meds.
Jack
P.S. I have tried EVERY home remedy I have ever heard of and a few I made up, the hot water sounds stupid but it really works

j

Mrleft8
04-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Carter's too much of a sissy to scald herself on purpose, and if I plunge her arms into scalding water, I'll need more than pain medicine....

Draketail
04-09-2008, 10:53 AM
From my unpleasant experience, poision ivy untreated takes about 14 days to clear up. Using any of the over the counter remedies, it will clear up in two weeks.

One thing I find gives relief long enough to get to sleep at night is to take a shower in the hottest water I can possibly stand. Stand there and keep raising the temperature. Eventually, the itch goes over the edge and gives up for a while.

If I know I've gotten into poision ivy, I shower as soon as possible using Octagon laundry soap. I seem to have avoided what should have been some bad cases of the rash over the years using Octagon.

Baileys logging supply sells a barrier cream called "Technu" that friends speak highly of. I've not used it.

But, unfortunately, I don't know of any really good product to treat an existing case. A local pharmacy in Raleigh, NC where I grew up used to sell a proprietary cortisone cream. It did help some. Perhaps a pharmacy in your area has a similar product.

Good Luck!

Brian Palmer
04-09-2008, 10:56 AM
I get it too, and try to wash it off ASAP with TecNu. After that, if I have an itch, I use calamine lotion. Since the itch is an inflammation response, I also take some Ibuprophin or other over the counter anti-inflammatory to reduce the itching.

-- Brian

S.V. Airlie
04-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I had a friend who was going up to Cornell to give a lecture at the Lab. of Ornithology.. Well, late at night, he had to visit the bushes and used poison ivy for TP.
Needless to say, he was just itching to leave the auditorium the next day..:eek:

glenallen
04-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Take a trip, Lefty! Come home in two weeks.

Mrleft8
04-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Take a trip, Lefty! Come home in two weeks.
Excellent idea! :D

davidagage
04-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Bleach. When it's still blister-ie, bleach is supposed to dry it up. After that, benidryl (sp) to work on the itch

Paul Pless
04-09-2008, 11:16 AM
I've never had it. (did I just jinx myself:eek:)

My mom got it so bad last year that she went to see a doctor. He prescribed both oral and topical steroidal drugs and she got immediate relief.

S.V. Airlie
04-09-2008, 11:20 AM
I've never had it. (did I just jinx myself:eek:)

My mom got it so bad last year that she went to see a doctor. He prescribed both oral and topical steroidal drugs and she got immediate relief.

I thought relief was spelled ROLAIDS!:rolleyes:

Leon m
04-09-2008, 11:36 AM
OK, listen up and listen up good...I ain't screwing around here.This works really good. I even suprised the heck out of doctor once with how remarkable fast and effective this works (all credit must go to my wife). You mix about a half cup of cooked (and cooled) oatmeal, with two table spoons full of raw apple cider vinegar, and a table spoon of Goldenseal (powdered herb). Have the kid take a warm bath with a couple of cups of the vinegar poured in it. When she's done with the bath smear the oatmeal mixture on the effected area and keep it there till it dries up and flake off naturaly. She'll be a new person by morning... it may take a trip to one of those funky whole food type places , but it's really worth it...trust me after spending my entire life working and playing outdoors...this is the only thing that works.

Lone Star
04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Provided that the reaction is not systemic the best stuff that I've found is Zanfel...

http://www.zanfel.com/help/

elf
04-09-2008, 12:40 PM
rubbing alcohol when it itches. Immediate washing in soap directly applied to the points of contact as soon as possible after contact.

Anything to accellerate the drying out and healing - aloe, cortisone cream, anything.

Leon m
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
you are all wrong and I am right. :)

boylesboats
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Touch-me-not, if growing near
But Calamine Lotion is still a good choice..

If you catch it sooner, take a cool shower with baking soda, do not rub affected area.. When drying off, blot with towel..

Leon m
04-09-2008, 12:44 PM
you are all wrong and I am right. :)

I repeat...

cs
04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
I like Paul have never in had a case of it (knocking on wood as I type). It amazes me that I haven't being as I've spent most of my life running around in the woods.

Chad

Iceboy
04-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Leon has the cure. Listen to him. We used this for years a bit farther north of the capitol.

MiddleAgesMan
04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Benedryl in both forms should help--a topical and the pill form In my limited experience (I seem to be immune) Caladryl will also help.

As for the hot water treatment, run warm water over the affected area and gradually increase the temp. Don't scald her but she should be able to tolerate a gradual increase beyond the temp that may seem too hot if you just plunge her right into it.

Paul Pless
04-09-2008, 02:38 PM
'Private areas' Norman?

Running through the woods naked like an old hippie, eh?:p
never figured you for that kinda stuff.;)

Phillip Allen
04-09-2008, 03:56 PM
spent two days cleaning out the fence row and tearing down the old fence and burning the brush...full of poison ivy...we'll see

Mrleft8
04-09-2008, 09:27 PM
I got her "Technu scrub" It worked initially w/in30 seconds... (Eliminated itching/burning sensation completely). We'll see if it keeps working over night....
If it continues to work it's a great advance in P.I. treatment.
Larry.... "Touch-me-not" is the same plant that we up here in the frozen north call "jewel weed", and yes it does work wonderfully......When it's around.....It's not around in April here.... There's still a small patch of snow on the north side of the house....

Lew Barrett
04-09-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm glad technu-scrub is working so a cure may be at hand, but Leon has been very convincing.

boylesboats
04-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Well sorry to say.. I haven't have any outbreak.. Even down on my knees, pulling them up by a handful..

The only ways to at them is to uproot 'em.. For whatever you do.. DO NOT BURN IT it'll spread through air and affect your neighborhood.. That'll ruin the sweet harmony among your neighbors

Sure fire tip on getting rid of Poison Ivy, dissolve rock salt in diesel or kerosene. Get a cheap plastic garden sprayer.. Follow instruction how to use the sprayer.. Open the nozzle till it sprays a steady piss-like stream..
Now, find those offending plants, and spray around bottom soaking the root, up the stem and leaves.. Salt make the ground useless to grow back, kerosene/diesel choke and wilt the plant... Work like a champ for me.. It far cheaper, better and faster than any herbicides on the market..

George Ray
04-10-2008, 07:33 AM
http://www.altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

Jewelweed is best known for its skin healing properties. The leaves and the juice from the stem of Jewelweed are used by herbalists to cure poison ivy and other plant induced rashes, as well as many other types of dermatitis. Jewelweed works by counter-reacting with the chemicals in other plants that cause irritation. Poultices and salves from Jewelweed are a folk remedy for bruises, burns, cuts, eczema, insect bites, sores, sprains, warts, and ringworm.

-----------------------------------

I have heard of this from PhD herbalist Dr. David Bradshaw@Clemson_Univ. I remember being told one could harvest and crush the ?leaves? with water and freeze the resulting stuff in ice cube trays to then pop out a medicinal ice cube later and rub on the affected areas.
Best of luck, I have empathy!

S.V. Airlie
04-10-2008, 07:40 AM
I got her "Technu scrub" It worked initially w/in30 seconds... (Eliminated itching/burning sensation completely). We'll see if it keeps working over night....
If it continues to work it's a great advance in P.I. treatment.
Larry.... "Touch-me-not" is the same plant that we up here in the frozen north call "jewel weed", and yes it does work wonderfully......When it's around.....It's not around in April here.... There's still a small patch of snow on the north side of the house....

Now I would suggest ya get Carter a field guide to poisonous plants in the Guilford Area so this doesn't happen again. For some strange reason, I think her getting it was all your fault to begin with...

Phillip Allen
04-10-2008, 07:42 AM
touch-me-not...? is that the little pland that closes its leaves if touched...sorta looks like momosa leaves?

Paul Pless
04-10-2008, 07:45 AM
For some strange reason, I think her getting it was all your fault to begin with...Yeah... making her go and pull up the weeds, Jeesh, least you could do is buy her a goat, that would make the yardwork easier on you guys.

S.V. Airlie
04-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Yeah... making her go and pull up the weeds, Jeesh, least you could do is buy her a goat, that would make the yardwork easier on you guys.

Weeds,!!! are you really sure they were weeds...????

Mrleft8
04-10-2008, 07:48 AM
touch-me-not...? is that the little pland that closes its leaves if touched...sorta looks like momosa leaves? It's stems look like Impatiens stems.... Very "succulent". Kind of translucent. They break very easily. The flowers are bright orange. But the best part (as a child) is the seed pods, which when ripe explode like tiny little grenades when touched.

Milo Christensen
04-10-2008, 07:54 AM
rubbing alcohol when it itches. . .

This is dodgy advice that I wouldn't want anyone to follow as Urushiol is miscible in alcohol and in the early stages it could spread the oil around. Once the oil is bound to the skin you want to get the bound skin off your body. IPA (the standard American 'rubbing' alcohol) helps to harden skin and probably binds the contaminated skin to the body for a longer time.

Mrleft8
04-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah... making her go and pull up the weeds, Jeesh, least you could do is buy her a goat, that would make the yardwork easier on you guys.
If the truth be known, we were scavenging firewood that the town road crew cut and left on the side of the road. They cut standing dead trees that might fall across the road in a storm. There were some good sized pieces of Sassafrass that had big hairy vines on them. I told her to be careful, and pull the vines off with her gloves before picking them up, but did she listen? Nooooooooooooooooo.....

S.V. Airlie
04-10-2008, 08:09 AM
If the truth be known, we were scavenging firewood that the town road crew cut and left on the side of the road. They cut standing dead trees that might fall across the road in a storm. There were some good sized pieces of Sassafrass that had big hairy vines on them. I told her to be careful, and pull the vines off with her gloves before picking them up, but did she listen? Nooooooooooooooooo.....

Obviously you two have been together a long time.;):p

LeeG
04-10-2008, 08:15 AM
I get poison oak worse than ivy,,will never take prednisone again,,messed with my head

Mrleft8
04-10-2008, 08:16 AM
I get poison oak worse than ivy,,will never take prednisone again,,messed with my head
Ah! Is THAT what happened? Well....That certainly explains a LOT! :D

Phillip Allen
04-10-2008, 08:20 AM
It's stems look like Impatiens stems.... Very "succulent". Kind of translucent. They break very easily. The flowers are bright orange. But the best part (as a child) is the seed pods, which when ripe explode like tiny little grenades when touched.

Sounds like Balsam

Mrleft8
04-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Sounds like Balsam

Some call it that too...

LeeG
04-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Ah! Is THAT what happened? Well....That certainly explains a LOT! :D

it's hormones, I'm such a sensitive guy that prednisone sends me for a loop. My ex had so many hormones the stuff didn't bother her a bit. Weird. Won't do it again,,,either one.

Leon m
04-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Well...how's Carter doing ?

Virgin Gal
04-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Well...how's Carter doing ?

Hi..not the worst I have ever been thru, but it is only day 2....the stuff that doug got seems to be working, but if not..i'm going with your remedy.

Thanks for asking..

One of these days I will actually listen to Lefty....

Vince Brennan
04-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Years ago a young lady and I were exploring "Nature's Baser Instincts" in what turned out to be an abundance of P.I.

While I suffered terribly from the rash and the itch, she was not affected one whit and (more hurtful than that) was amused by the fact I'd been so afflicted.

Probably one reason she's a Grandma but I'm not a Grandpa.

David C
04-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Prednisone. It's not for everyone--messes with some peoples' heads as noted above--but it kills the itch and stops any new blisters from forming and will calm down the inflammation. You're right (above) that it won't get rid of already-formed blisters and two weeks is about right--the same as any other contact dermatitis (I get this with ANY skin contact with epoxy).

You don't want to be on prednisone for more than a couple of weeks max, unless you have some life-threatening condition. The long-term side effects are bad news, but if I had bad poison ivy, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Don't let anyone talk you into injectable steroids--the difference in onset is only about an hour, and you get a needle. Ouch!

Atarax (generic name hydroxyzine) is a good antihistamine for itching.

Poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac--it's all urushiol.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-15-2008, 11:04 PM
I am immune for Poison ivy except through a cut, which I discovered when I rubbed a peeling spot on my nose once after being in contact. Oh dear. :D

Acetone is also prescribed as a wipe after first contact. After that, Calamine has been the longstanding solution.

George Ray
04-16-2008, 05:58 AM
Prednisone

When it (PI) was getting in my eyes etc etc predisone shot then pills saved the day more than once. Like to think Mary Baker Eddy could do as well, but that is still an open question for me.

Leon m
04-16-2008, 10:14 AM
One of these days I will actually listen to Lefty....

Well had Lefty listened to me it would have all been over on day one. :D ;)