PDA

View Full Version : Best sports program, period.

cs
04-09-2008, 07:24 AM
I wanted to post this a couple of weeks ago, but decieded to wait till today to confirm what I thought.

After a win last night the Lady Vols basketball team won their eight National Championship.

After a little thinking I have come to the conclussion that the Lady Vols basketball program at the University of TN in Knoxville is the most succesefull sports program in the history of organized sports.

Now before you start spouting off about other teams I'm going to throw some numbers at you. The numbers I have found go all the way back to around 1903 and some years are incomplete, but still I have a good overall picture.

First the record since 1903

1076 wins
236 loses
5 ties

Throwing out the ties that is an 82% winning record.

14 SEC Regular Season Championships
13 SEC Tournment Championships
18 Final Four appearances
8 National Championships

and have never in the history of the tournment missed a Sweet Sixteen.

Show me another team or sports program that has had that kind of success. The only thing I can think of that comes close is Richard Petty with 7 Sprint cups and 200 race wins.

Chad

Kevin G
04-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Raybestos Brakettes..organized 1947
3607 Games
3242 Victories
3 World Championships
27 National ASA Champions
19 National Hall of Famers
11 Olympians

Not to mention Joanie Joyce, one of the finest athletes, male or female, ever.

KG

Paul Pless
04-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Show me another team or sports program that has had that kind of success. The only thing I can think of that comes close is Richard Petty with 7 Sprint cups and 200 race wins.

Chad

The New York Yankees - 39 AL Championships/ 26 World Series Championships

The Montreal Canadiens - 24 Stanley Cups

cs
04-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Paul I figured somebody would mentions the Yankees, but they don't have the winning percentage that the Lady Vols do and neither does the Canadians. Kevin I'm still looking into your team there.

I will have to find a link on where and how many of the Lady Vols have went elsewhere, but I do believe that there are 12 Olympians on the team and there is a significant number in the WNBA.

Chad

cs
04-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Hey Paul there have been 27 tournment championships in the history of Women's college basketball and the Lady Vols have won 8 of those. That is to say that 30% of the time the Lady Vols have won the National Championship. Can the Yankees say that?

Chad

Paul Pless
04-09-2008, 08:19 AM
just so there's no confusion; I hate the Yankees!

but I do admire the organization...

Joe (SoCal)
04-09-2008, 08:26 AM
just so there's no confusion; I hate the Yankees!

but I do admire the organization...

Lets Go Yankees, Lets Go Yankees!!

Oh and Kevins team The Raybestos has better % Game Victories than the Vols by a BIG margin.

Chris Ostlind
04-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Hey Paul there have been 27 tournment championships in the history of Women's college basketball and the Lady Vols have won 8 of those. That is to say that 30% of the time the Lady Vols have won the National Championship. Can the Yankees say that?

Chad,

Before you get too wet over all this Lady Vols stuff, consider...

You say it yourself, "there have been 27 tournament championships in the history of Women's college basketball"

No offense intended to the Lady Vols BB team.... It's not just me, my man, but most well-read sports observers would not call that a mature sport representation... just yet. Title IX took effect just 35 years ago and it was some time before all the major, Division 1 schools had anything like full representation in women's sports programs, much less the ability to field a truly well-rounded team of starting players, or a functional bench.

Let the thing shake itself out some, get something like parity for recruiting and the growth of girls-to-women's basketball programs nationally. Then, take a look at who is winning the titles, once the numbers get up there for total number of women actually playing the sport at that level of competence and athleticism.

These early years are like shooting fish in a barrel for the early adopters of women's basketball.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-09-2008, 08:32 AM
No mention of the New York yachties and the defence of the "Auld Mug"?

Paul Pless
04-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Doug has it. The New York Yacht Club with 25 victories, out of 33 contests in the longest running championship in sports.

StevenBauer
04-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Doug has it. The New York Yacht Club with 25 victories, out of 33 contests in the longest running championship in sports.

Yup. Those Lady Vols are 'Janie come lately' wannabes. Good try though Chad.

Steven

Paul Pless
04-09-2008, 08:51 AM
In auto racing, Porsche probably has an incalculable amount of victories in sports car racing.

StevenBauer
04-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Basketball is really more of a game than a sport, no?

:D
Steven

cs
04-09-2008, 08:56 AM
I'll give you the yacht club, but that is about it. That "big" margin is not as big as you think.

Raybestos winning percentage is 90% and the Lady Vols are 82%. But Kevin's team is the only one that you guys have thrown out that is a legitimate argument.

You say that the girls program is young and I say you are wrong. I took my numbers all the way back to the earliest games for the TN Lady Vols that I could find and it dates all the way back to 1903. Sure the Tourney is young, but my point is over the lifetime the Lady Vols have pretty much dominated, more so than any other team in any other sport.

Now you guys can "hate" all you want, but the fact is that the Lady Vols are the best in the game and have been the best for far longer than any other team out there.

Chad

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-09-2008, 09:36 AM
The NYYC has to have it.

Chris Ostlind
04-09-2008, 10:43 AM
... I took my numbers all the way back to the earliest games for the TN Lady Vols that I could find and it dates all the way back to 1903. Sure the Tourney is young, but my point is over the lifetime the Lady Vols have pretty much dominated, more so than any other team in any other sport.

That "back to 1903" business pretty much makes my argument, Chad. Prior to Title IX how many women's basketball teams were there in college sports? Any college sports, be it Division 1 or others, but especially Division 1?

I tip my cap to the visionary status of the Lady Vols program, but the pickings were really slim back then, the competition was even less prepared and the overall acceptance of the sport as a legitimate varsity program was seriously lacking. You want to claim that as connected to the modern, Title IX era, then shoot away, fella.

So, what University has, year in and year out, the highest ranked teams in NCAA Division 1 sports? This would include all sports fielded by the University and not just select finishers.

The answer after a word from our sponsors.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Dunno what you are talking about.:)

Let' start in 1829.

So far as college sports are concerned, it's:

Cambridge - 79
Oxford - 74
and one dead heat.

Cambridge have been ahead since 1929...and no "sports scholarships"!

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
........and no "sports scholarships"!

A sceptic might check the Crewlist (http://www.theboatrace.org/article/thecrew) and note the number of the Oxford crew members on one year courses.

S.V. Airlie
04-09-2008, 11:24 AM
I wanted to post this a couple of weeks ago, but decieded to wait till today to confirm what I thought.

After a win last night the Lady Vols basketball team won their eight National Championship.

After a little thinking I have come to the conclussion that the Lady Vols basketball program at the University of TN in Knoxville is the most succesefull sports program in the history of organized sports.

Now before you start spouting off about other teams I'm going to throw some numbers at you. The numbers I have found go all the way back to around 1903 and some years are incomplete, but still I have a good overall picture.

First the record since 1903

1076 wins
236 loses
5 ties

Throwing out the ties that is an 82% winning record.

14 SEC Regular Season Championships
13 SEC Tournment Championships
18 Final Four appearances
8 National Championships

and have never in the history of the tournment missed a Sweet Sixteen.

Chad

Chad, here is where we differ. A good sports program is important however, I'd like to see a strong or just as strong academic program.
Sports are fine.. but except for a few, you can't make a living at sports.
Ya need an education.. a piece of paper at the minimum..

Leon m
04-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Green Bay...Nuff said.

cs
04-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Here is a run down on some of the team memebers for TN this year.

Nicky Anosike #55
http://utladyvols.com/uploadedImages/Sports/Basketball/Roster/Seasons/2007-2008/Anosike-Nicky.jpg

Quite the scholar, Nicky is currently pursuing a major in sociology/criminal justice and additional majors in political science and legal studies…Was a member of the National Honor Society and a four-year High Honor Roll recipient at St. Peter's for Girls…

Hopes to become a lawyer after her playing career…

Alberta Auguste #33

http://utladyvols.com/uploadedImages/Sports/Basketball/Roster/Seasons/2007-2008/Auguste-Alberta.jpg

Alberta received her associate degree in physical therapy and graduated from Central Florida in August 2006…She is majoring in psychology at Tennessee…

Candace Parker #3

http://utladyvols.com/uploadedImages/Sports/Basketball/Roster/Seasons/2007-2008/Parker-Candace.jpg

Candace is currently pursuing a major in sport management with a minor in psychology…Named to Naperville Central's High Honor Roll during every high school semester…

Angie Bjorklund #5

http://utladyvols.com/uploadedImages/Sports/Basketball/Roster/Seasons/2007-2008/Bjorklund-Angie.jpg

Currently enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences…Was an academic standout and member of the honor roll at UHS, where she posted an incredible 3.99 GPA for her prep career…

Alex Fuller #44

http://utladyvols.com/uploadedImages/Sports/Basketball/Roster/Seasons/2007-2008/Fuller-Alex.jpg

Alex is currently pursuing a major in pre-exercise science at the University of Tennessee…Was inducted into the National Honor Society at Shelbyville Central H.S…Fuller, a member of the honor roll, participated in extracurricular activities such as Keyettes and the French Club outside of her athletic endeavors…

Cait McMahan #2

http://utladyvols.com/uploadedImages/Sports/Basketball/Roster/Seasons/2007-2008/McMahan-Cait.jpg

Maintained a 4.2 GPA at Heritage High School…Was a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), a D.A.R.E. Role Model, and active with her church praise team…

So you see they are getting a good education and I would wager that some of them wouldn't be getting an education if it wasn't for basketball.

Chad

Paul Pless
04-09-2008, 11:55 AM
The U.S. has 17 Olympic Golds out of 22 possible in basketball. That is pretty standout, even without the various 'dream teams'.

ccmanuals
04-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Eddie Feighner's "King and His Court". 60 years of entertaining and winning fast pitch softball. Absolutely amazing to watch.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/021807/spo_8019277.shtml

http://www.kingandhiscourt.com/index.htm

cs
04-09-2008, 12:14 PM
I counted 12 TN players on the "All Time Olympic Roster". It would take too long to count up the number of medals that TN players have won for Team USA.

Chad

cs
04-09-2008, 12:18 PM
BTW I'm not feeling the love here. :D

I bet that if I said that Pat Summit was the greatest basketball coach of all time that you would probably laugh at me.

Chad

StevenBauer
04-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Maybe "sports" just aren't very important to most people.

Steven

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-09-2008, 12:28 PM
A sceptic might check the Crewlist (http://www.theboatrace.org/article/thecrew) and note the number of the Oxford crew members on one year courses.

But I went to Cambridge...

Bow - One year course (MPhil Management)
2. - PhD Molecular Biology
3. - one year course (MPhil - but looks legit)
4. - MA English
5. - one year course (M Phil Environment)
6. - BA (two year course, but very suspicious- what's an affiliated BA?)
7. - PhD Medical genetics (thesis on motor neurone disease)
Stroke - two years physics. Doubtful.
Cox - PhD Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic

So that's three PhD's, two regular postgraduates, two regular undergraduates and two who look a bit unusual. Only one American. As we used to say, back when Oxford were on a winning streak, "Their Yanks are better than our Yanks" :D

As for the Oxford crew - seven on one year courses, and they might as well be flying the Stars and Stripes!

Paul Pless
04-09-2008, 12:28 PM
I bet that if I said that Pat Summit was the greatest basketball coach of all time that you would probably laugh at me.That is funny. She's got a nice niche going on but that's it.

PatCassidy
04-09-2008, 03:57 PM
After losing to the Washington Generals in 1962, the Harlem Globetrotters only lost two more games in the next 38 years (12,596 games).

Chris Ostlind
04-09-2008, 04:58 PM
...So, what University has, year in and year out, the highest ranked teams in NCAA Division 1 sports? This would include all sports fielded by the University and not just select finishers.

The answer after a word from our sponsors.

And here, my friends is the answer: UCLA

1. UCLA finished as the #1 overall Collegiate Athletic Program of the 20th Century and is #1 in the 2000's in overall NCAA titles won.

2. UCLA enters the 2007-08 academic year with 100 NCAA team championships, more than any other school in the country. All 100 championships have been won since 1950. No school can match UCLA's variety of successful teams.

Go ahead, root around all you want on behalf of your favorite team/university. They will not come close to the numbers put up by the UCLA Bruins during the modern era of college athletics in Division 1.

Now, what was that about the Lady Vols and their soon to be vanquished, basketball senior class?

There's more here, if you wish to read 'em and weap.
http://uclabruins.cstv.com/genrel/021204aaa.html

And yes... I went to the UCLA Film/TV School way back in the 70's, so I plead guilty as charged when it comes to being partial. ;-)

S.V. Airlie
04-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Here is a run down on some of the team memebers for TN this year.

Nicky Anosike #55
http://utladyvols.com/uploadedImages/Sports/Basketball/Roster/Seasons/2007-2008/Anosike-Nicky.jpg

O

Alberta Auguste #33

http://utladyvols.com/uploadedImages/Sports/Basketball/Roster/Seasons/2007-2008/Auguste-Alberta.jpg

Candace Parker #3

http://utladyvols.com/uploadedImages/Sports/Basketball/Roster/Seasons/2007-2008/Parker-Candace.jpg

Angie Bjorklund #5

http://utladyvols.com/uploadedImages/Sports/Basketball/Roster/Seasons/2007-2008/Bjorklund-Angie.jpg

Alex Fuller #44

http://utladyvols.com/uploadedImages/Sports/Basketball/Roster/Seasons/2007-2008/Fuller-Alex.jpg

Cait McMahan #2

http://utladyvols.com/uploadedImages/Sports/Basketball/Roster/Seasons/2007-2008/McMahan-Cait.jpg

So you see they are getting a good education and I would wager that some of them wouldn't be getting an education if it wasn't for basketball.

Chad

Okay that's how they did in high school.
How does the high school rate?
How are they doing at college?

Highschools are not necessarily very good. A few are outstanding. Most are just happy to have students show up.
Those that do, can often do well when compared to what their peers don't do.
You tried but CS, did you note no reference to their scolastic standings at the Un. of Ten.?
Nope...

And to some of the others. The NYYC sucks. A bunch of snobs who have a lot of money but don't know the difference between a bow and a stern but do know the difference from an empty glass of single malt and a full one.
I would not be a member of that august club if it offered me a free membership.

cs
04-10-2008, 06:40 AM
I'll admit that overall UCLA is pretty impressive, but I think that the Lady Vols program is more impressive than even UCLA. The percentage of wins and championships is staggering and to have never in the history of the tourny to have missed a Sweet 16.

I couldn't find any information on what their current GPA is or any more than what I posted. I do know that one of the starters is a triple major. I do know that Candace Parker has already completed her degree despite being just a juinor.

I will say that while UTK has an outstanding sports program that a lot of folks forget that it is also a great school. And these kids are getting more than a chance to play basketball, they are getting the chance to get a great education, a chance they may not have otherwise.

Chad

S.V. Airlie
04-10-2008, 06:48 AM
cs..Firstly don't get me wrong.. I am not castigating the Vol. sports program.
I'm a wee bit tired, although I understand it, the amount of money a coach of a college team makes. The publicity and hence the money a team brings into the university but I'm sick and tired of the lack of interest or credit given to academics.
So much emphasis is placed on sports that academics takes a back seat.
Not every player can become 'pro' material. I think that stats are something like one outta 16,000 college players makes it to the pros.
So, if they don't make it, what happens?

Do you remember the Red Skin player who graduated from his college. Played pro ball for a number of years and then.. well retired. Went back to college because he could not read.?

cs
04-10-2008, 06:57 AM
I hear you and no I don't remember that paticular case.

I tend to talk a lot about the sports programs of the University of TN because I enjoy sports, but I never forget that you can get a great education there. I'm hoping that my daughter can get a sports schoolarship in cheerleading and attend school there. Otherwise it will be tough for me to finance her education.

Chad

S.V. Airlie
04-10-2008, 07:03 AM
The Red Skin player went public with his story. As how he managed to make it through college with people taking his exams for him, with cheat sheets, with extra help etc. All because he was a sports hero at the college/University in this case, and was helping the football team win..win...win...
Well, he did make it to the pros but in Football, you only last so long.. After his time in the pros, he realized that he just did not have the education to get a job that required something other than throwing a pig skin.
Oh well.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Airlie writes:

And to some of the others. The NYYC sucks. A bunch of snobs who have a lot of money but don't know the difference between a bow and a stern but do know the difference from an empty glass of single malt and a full one.
I would not be a member of that august club if it offered me a free membership

You may have missed the story about Tommy Lipton and the RYS.

Kaiser Wilhem II used to joke about "My uncle going boating with his grocer" before 1911 when the uncle died.

In 1930 the Royal Yacht Squadron, having blackballed Sir Thomas Lipton for forty years, because of his modest origins, during which time he had challenged the NYYC for the Cup five times, under the burgee of the Royal Ulster YC:

http://www.ruyc.co.uk/documents/TheLiptonConnection.pdf

elected him a member.

He turned to the elegant gentlemen who brought him this news with the words "What Club is that? Where is its Club House?"

A life of Tommy Lipton:

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/lipton/index.php