PDA

View Full Version : classic boat - restoration

Cardinal
07-21-2001, 07:30 AM
I have found an old boat that was stored in a dirt floor shed Downeast for a number of years without touching the water. It is a Wee Scot, which is a 15' (?) daysailor that was once common in this community. It seems to be in pretty bad condition, but I would like to rescue the boat. I have no exprience with this sort of thing. I reckon I need to get some expertise to assess what needs to be done, and I need to find a yard that can bring it back to life. Where do I start?

paladin
07-21-2001, 08:31 AM
If you aren't going to do it yourself, begin with having a large yard sale, get a second mortgage and then auction off your first born, and start figuring out ways of leasing out the wife.... http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif Seriously, why don't you just start with a good cleanup job and see how it progresses....see what's wrong with the boat first.

dasboat
07-21-2001, 10:21 AM
How about some pictures,so we can have a look?
Dasboat

ishmael
07-21-2001, 12:07 PM
Laughing at Paladin's post. You as a neophyte, if you have the interest and the time why not fix it up yourself? You'll learn a lot. Pretty bad condition could be mere cosmetics or a complete re-build. Look around for a local boat builder, and I mean look around 'cause they aren't all created equal, and get some evaluations as a start.

Best of luck

Jack

Bob Cleek
07-21-2001, 01:54 PM
Find some local guy who knows a lot about wooden boats... maybe somebody who owns a sister ship... or used to. Start buying him good scotch!

ken mcclure
07-21-2001, 07:39 PM
Put her in the water and see how long she floats.
If she floats for weeks or more you've got a lot of work.
If she floats for a day or two you've got a whole bunch of work.
If she takes a couple hours to fill up you have a huge amount of work.
If she goes straight to the bottom, you've got more work than you ever imagined.
Of course, even if you built a new one you'd have more work than you ever imagined so you may as well fix her up!

norske
07-24-2001, 09:08 PM
Paint the outside--put it in front of you living room window(outside of course)---and let your wife plant flowers.As she waters her plants the water will run out as it does with flower pots and not rot you plant roots.
You will have a "classic planter".

[This message has been edited by norske (edited 07-24-2001).]