PDA

View Full Version : RIP Charlton Heston

The Bigfella
04-06-2008, 03:05 AM
Dead - at 84

RIP Ben Hur

Cass
04-06-2008, 03:20 AM
RIP x-NRA-president . Great old-tyme actor.

RonW
04-06-2008, 03:43 AM
Yep, Charles helped revive the N.R.A. and did it for free.
Great actor, great man, I guess we all grow old and die..

Cass
04-06-2008, 03:55 AM
Yep, Charles helped revive the N.R.A. and did it for free.
Great actor, great man, I guess we all grow old and die..

What is death but "changing planes" from one level of existence, consciousness, or development into another ! ? !

Tylerdurden
04-06-2008, 05:25 AM
From my cold dead hands RIP

http://www.nevadacas.com/From_My_Cold_Dead_Hands.jpg

Vince Brennan
04-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Always thought one of his best portrayals was "Steve Leech" in "The Big Country". Loyalty, conflict and uncertainty in equal measures, excellently shown.

Wonder if Moishe is giving him a critique of THAT role as we speak?

S.V. Airlie
04-06-2008, 06:39 AM
A great actor and apparently an all around good person.

I'm sure I'll get a comment about this. As I understand, he did have alzheimers. A miserable disease for any family that has to deal with those who suffer from it. I'm glad, in a way that he has passed on just a few years after the first symtoms of this disease were noticed and his family did not suffer as long as so many other families have suffered watching a loved one go further into a dark hole. I'm thinking of Reagan.
I am not attempting to sound morbid or cruel just the opposite.

Vince Brennan
04-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Not morbid a'tall, Jamie. My Dad had Alzheimers. Here's a guy who fixed everything for everyone in the neighborhood, was the first one asked if there was a problem mechanical at work and who was a master engine mechanic on a major railroad, and I find him one day with a screwdriver in his hand trying to figure out which way to turn it to get a screw out of some wood.

Heartbreaking. Worse was he'd get some lucidity for a few minutes and KNOW that he could no longer do simple things... it would destroy him, but then he'd slip back down and just be confused.

Tough as Hell to live with and I donno wanna think of what he felt.

jack grebe
04-06-2008, 07:16 AM
and then there was this classic
http://www.trotterautographs.com/ch.jpg

Bob Smalser
04-06-2008, 07:26 AM
Was a 20-year-old gunner in a twin-engine B-25 bomber during WWII.

Marched with Martin Luther King.

Married to his wife for 64 years.

Will Penny.

Mrleft8
04-06-2008, 07:43 AM
I always thought he over acted. Needless to say I admired him on certain levels. I'm glad that he is no longer suffering.

paladin
04-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Yup....remembered the Will Penny part too.....

S.V. Airlie
04-06-2008, 07:46 AM
42]I always thought he over acted[/COLOR]. Needless to say I admired him on certain levels. I'm glad that he is no longer suffering.

He had to Doug.. He was playing Moses.:D:D

Phillip Allen
04-06-2008, 08:00 AM
I liked him in "Last of the Mountain Men" with Brian Kieth...prolly not much of a movie for most of you but he brought it out with a crew to show to us at the Leveeta Pass Rendezvous before it was released and showed it to us...can't remember what the year was...maybe '83

carioca1232001
04-06-2008, 08:23 AM
My first and only encounter with Charlton Heston on the screen was in 'Ben-Hur'. Played to packed houses.

Paradise Cinema, Karachi, circa late 50īs/early 60īs.

John of Phoenix
04-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Anybody get that rifle yet?

A great actor to be sure.

Tar Devil
04-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I always thought he over acted.

Most actors of his era did likewise. His later movies were much better.

Leon m
04-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I liked him in "Last of the Mountain Men" with Brian Kieth

I like that movie too. Last of the great "old school" actors.

htom
04-06-2008, 11:54 AM
RIP. He was demonstrating against segregation before MLK came along.

Bob Adams
04-06-2008, 12:02 PM
His farewell to public life after the diagnosis : "I must reconcile courage and surrender in equal measure."

RIP Chuck, I suspect you'll be buried with that rifle.

boylesboats
04-06-2008, 12:20 PM
I read the news lastnight..
Damn, can't they live forever.. He is a legend... I like old movies with him in it..
He also starred in Wayne's World II..

Three Cedars
04-06-2008, 01:32 PM
He played Long John Silver in Treasure Island , directed by his son Fraser . This is a great movie , music by the Chieftains. A must see.

Bob Cleek
04-06-2008, 06:55 PM
As the old saying goes, never speak ill of the dead. However, Mr. Heston's death brings back to mind the fact that while I agreed with much of his politics, he was one of the first actors to "get political," rather blatantly blurring his epic characters on the screen with his political persona. BAD thing. America ought to have a law. Anybody who's an actor doesn't get to say anything publicly political in their real life. These jackasses have little or no value beyond entertainment, and in most instances, their entertainment value is questionable. Yet, they are spread all over every magazine cover in the nation and it seems now every one of them has some pet political agenda. It started with Charlton Heston and Jane Fonda, as I remember. What does an actor know about politics? The extent of of their skills is simply to look good, memorize lines, and make believe they are someone they aren't.

Oh my God!... I just realized... That IS all politicians are too!

Robbie 2
04-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Remember him with good thoughts
RIP.

johnw
04-06-2008, 09:48 PM
I guess now they can take his gun from his cold, dead hands, but I doubt anyone has the heart to.

GoldDogs
04-06-2008, 10:45 PM
What is death but "changing planes" from one level of existence, consciousness, or development into another ! ? !

You mean like- worm food?

Michael s/v Sannyasin
04-06-2008, 11:08 PM
America ought to have a law. Anybody who's an actor doesn't get to say anything publicly political in their real life. These jackasses have little or no value beyond entertainment, and in most instances, their entertainment value is questionable.

Yea, and we should just wipe our butts on the constitution while we're at it (not that others are not doing that daily as we speak).

Sorry Bob, but the same right you have to voice your drivel applies to actors, celebutantes and politicians. Most of us are perfectly capable of discerning BS for ourselves and we don't need the likes of you nor congress legislating what we can or cannot hear someone, no matter who or what they may be, expound.

BrianW
04-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Michael,

You really shouldn't suppress your feelings so much, it's not healthy. :)

boylesboats
04-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Let the man rest in peace, and leave his rifle alone now....

boylesboats
04-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Anybody get that rifle yet?

A great actor to be sure.

I once have a Dixie Gun Works book that had that on the front cover.. It have a very interesting story behind it..
Now, I wonder where is that book? (thinking)
It gotta worth something...

Tanbark Spanker
04-07-2008, 01:05 AM
Dear Mr. Heston,

I am armed to the teeth.

Your,
Tanbark Spanker

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
04-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Will Penny was one of my favorites. But I really loved in Wayne's World 2 when Mike Meyers asks, can't they get a "good" actor to play the gas station attendant, and then the scene is done over, and there is ol' Charlton Heston. Played it straight and to the hilt. Hilarious.

Bob Cleek
04-07-2008, 12:10 PM
"Sorry Bob, but the same right you have to voice your drivel applies to actors, celebutantes and politicians. Most of us are perfectly capable of discerning BS for ourselves and we don't need the likes of you nor congress legislating what we can or cannot hear someone, no matter who or what they may be, expound."

You reallly should develop a more finely tuned sense of humor. That said, I can hardly agree that "most of us are perfectly capable of discerning BS for ourselves," given the state of things these days. Bush got elected twice, if you haven't noticed. Free speech is one thing. Free airtime in the propagandizing public media is another. You can say anything you want on your own soapbox, just stay the hell off mine! "I am the NRA?" Surely they could have done better. Charlton had a pretty hard time keeping anyone from prying his gun out of his cold dead hands when he couldn't remember where he'd left it in the first place. Heston was, I am sure, worthy of love from those who knew him, as are most all of us, but in the larger scheme of things, he will be less than a pimple on the ass of history, just like the rest of us. Let's keep reality in perspective, okay?

John Meachen
04-07-2008, 05:10 PM
I remember reading an interview a few years ago in which the head of an agency supplying domestic staff in Los Angeles was being asked about the excesses of behaviour shown by some "stars".For obvious reasons the agency head had to be diplomatic but the answer given was along the lines of how nice it would be if all the agency's clients were like Charlton Heston who was an exemplary employer.There are worse ways to be remembered.

Bob Cleek
04-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Yes, I'm sure he was a great gentleman, but he wasn't Moses and Soylent Green isn't people.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-08-2008, 04:36 AM
He was a classically trained stage actor - with a particular penchant for Shakespeare - and to some extent the parts he got early in his career required that sort of projection, which is a learned skill.

He certainly disliked "political correctness" and it might have been that that swung him to the Right, but I also wonder whether the critical reception given to his film of Anthony and Cleopatra might have had a hand in it - he seldom, if ever, played leads after that, and I wonder if he fell out with the "Hollywood liberal establishment" that he had been a part of for many years.

Bob Cleek
04-08-2008, 10:35 AM
At least he wasn't flying all over the Third World adopting babies just to get his mug on the cover of People magazine.