PDA

View Full Version : what best new American Pickup to buy

Dale R. Hamilton
03-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Just completed 1000 mile trip, 1996 Ford F250 8.5L gas engine towing 10,000+ RV. This was my first outing with this rig and I didn't really expect much fuel economy. But I got 7 MPG- cost nearly $900 for fuel. Also, the 5.8L did just fine pulling until we got on any sort of grade. Then we slowed to sometimes 40 MPH

So this has prompted me to thinking about new diesel pickups. I know some of you guys are driving them now- and I'd love to know your experience with them. Ford, GMC and Dodge- long bed king cab. What kind of mileage are you getting- and how do you like that new diesel?

With prices starting at 36K- this is a real big decision. Thanks in advance for any experience you might share.

Dale

botebum
03-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Most of my subcontractors that need to pull equipment are running F-350 diesel dualies and are happy with them. The few that are running GMC/Chevy 3500 diesel dualies tend to bitch about power loss on grades and horrible mileage. Noone I know runs a Dodge, so I don't know how people feel about them.

Doug

Lew Barrett
03-29-2008, 01:11 PM
I've had good luck with Chevy trucks, and less with Ford. I think it takes a pretty broad distribution of responses to figure it all out though.
I tend to keep them until the wheels go square, and the Chevys have run longer with less issues. But I always buy the small block V8s because I don't do heavy towing.

boylesboats
03-29-2008, 01:22 PM
I haven't been looking for new truck...
I still got that old reliable 1979 chevy 1 ton truck, can't find a reason to give it up for new truck.

abbyj
03-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Toyota Tundra

botebum
03-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Toyota Tundra

Yes, that is a truck. But you say absolutely nothing about whether it's good, bad, why, etc. So what you've accomplished is...raising your post count by 1:rolleyes:
BTW- is Toyota now an American Pickup?

Doug

Joe (SoCal)
03-29-2008, 02:31 PM
what best new American Pickup to buy

Toyota Tundra

RWNR&CS {Right Wing Neocon Reading & Comprehension Skills }:rolleyes:

Lew Barrett
03-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Abby would respond that the Tundra is built here. He just forgot where the proceeds are shipped.

S/V Laura Ellen
03-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Actually, it supports a lot of American Toyota employees.

Development of the new Tundra was spearheaded by Toyota's U.S.-based facilities. Product planning began at TMS headquarters in Southern California. All engineering development was directed by the Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Styling, inside and out, was the work of Toyota's Calty Research and Design Centers in Newport Beach, California and Ann Arbor, Michigan. Finally, the new Tundra will be built at Toyota Motor Manufacturing in Princeton, Indiana and Toyota's new truck plant in San Antonio, Texas.

Paul Pless
03-29-2008, 02:45 PM
That Toyota may be more American than the Chevy which is assembled in Canada from components made in Mexico.

S/V Laura Ellen
03-29-2008, 02:50 PM
That Toyota may be more American than the Chevy which is assembled in Canada from components made in Mexico.

Hey, back up a minute here.:eek: The cross border auto agreements with Canada help the US more than they do Canada. You want us to buy your crappy cars, you have to buy some of ours.:D

abbyj
03-29-2008, 02:55 PM
RWNR&CS {Right Wing Neocon Reading & Comprehension Skills }:rolleyes:

LWIUAMHLLAMA (Left Wing Idiot Uninformed and Making Himself Look Like A Moron Again)

BWAAAAAAAA HA HA!

abbyj
03-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Abby would respond that the Tundra is built here. He just forgot where the proceeds are shipped.

Are they being shipped to that country who (among other things) buys our scrap steel?

Tylerdurden
03-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Driving diesel one tons since 87'. Ford hands down, get a Banks kit for it and pass everything going up hill.

BETTY-B
03-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Are they being shipped to that country who (among other things) buys our scrap steel?

What are you saying? The vehicles? Of course not. They have a huge import tax on cars made in the US.

They have a huge ship off the coast of Washington state, where all the scrap goes. They process it aboard this ship and send it right back to us having never taken it anywhere other than right off the coast.

DAN

Dale R. Hamilton
03-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Boys boys- AMERICAN pickup please. Only Tylerdurden posted answer I could use. Now how about new small diesels in American pickups.

Joe (SoCal)
03-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Local teacher in my town runs two AMERICAN pickups on fryer grease

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/070328/070328_carls_hmed_2p.hmedium.jpg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17741280

Memphis Mike
03-29-2008, 03:29 PM
When the price of diesel hits 10 dollars a gallon, you may be re-thinking that truck. If we continue burning petroleum in our cars and trucks, the day is coming when only the wealthy can afford to drive.

Nicholas Scheuer
03-29-2008, 03:47 PM
I might consider a Tundra, if Chev, Ford, or Dodge ever gave me a reason. I'm suspicious of those who quickly throw in "Tundra". They haven't been around long enough establish any sort of ruputation, something that takes more than a roughneck from texas as a TV pitchman.

My Bro-in-law has a Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax Diesel that he uses to pul a large box trailer full of foam concrete forms.

I recently helped tow a 4000 lb GVW boat & trailer from New Hampshire to Michigan behind a 250 Dodge Cummins Diesel. The owner then pulled it the rest of the way out to Colorado, then later to S Texas behind a 2500 Dodge Cummins Diesel. I liked it so well I bought a Dodge Diesel after that experience. The Dodge got about 21MPG on the trip.

I've always had good luck with Chevy gasoline V-8's, but don't care for their Diesels prior to the Duramax. The Duramax is the QUIETEST Diesel in a pickup truck.

Moby Nick

Your 10,000 + load is a lot for a pickup. Better forget about a "good" mileage figure, but beating 7MPG by a considerable margin should be possible.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
03-29-2008, 03:52 PM
These are good.
http://www.chrisguitars.com/pu133-dimar.jpg

Dale R. Hamilton
03-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Sorry P.I. I don't know what I'm looking at.

Tylerdurden
03-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Sorry P.I. I don't know what I'm looking at.

Those are guitar pick ups. Not great ones either.

Bob Adams
03-29-2008, 04:51 PM
If it was me, I'd look for a Dodge with a Cummins before everything went electronic. Good, long, track record.

CharlieCobra
03-29-2008, 05:07 PM
I drive an '05 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 with the Bighorn package. Bought it new and now it has 70K miles on it. Not a single issue except a finicky O2 sensor that sorted itself out. No rattles, no hiccups and it gets an honest 16 MPG avg. The mileage with a 10K tow would likely drop. The diesel version with the Cummins would suffice. I just posted up about mine to share how solid the truck is. Yes, it has a Hemi, not that I'm gonna race a 5300 Lbs truck mind you. I wish it had the new MSD system though.

BrianW
03-29-2008, 05:10 PM
I just paid $4.13 for a gallon of diesel and looked over at the gas pump which was $3.73. Made we wish for spark plugs. :)

We drive lot's of Fords on the Slope, although there's plenty of Chevys too. They both work, and they both have problems. One company took a bunch of Dodges out to a remote site 2 years ago. They barged them all back the next season, and bought Fords.

There's been so many engine and transmission changes recently it's hard to say one brand is best.

doorstop
03-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Trucks they aint, pickups are cheap tarts in short dresses..... UTES is what they are. You flamin Yanks!
Now my Nissan Navara UTE tows my tool trailer, carts my timber, tows my boat, does good stuff in the sand hills (not dunes!) and is generally a good thing for a country, coastal carpenter. ;)

High C
03-29-2008, 05:16 PM
I used to have an '03 Ford F-250 diesel, the naturally aspirated 7.3l version. It got 15 MPG driving around, and got 14 MPG towing a 6,000 trailer. It wasn't entirely trouble free, but nothing major.

The Dodge Cummins is lots noisier than the newer Ford and Chevy motors, FWIW.

emichaels
03-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Driving diesel one tons since 87'. Ford hands down, get a Banks kit for it and pass everything going up hill.

Mark if you gotta Banks the diesel then you don't have a real engine. You and I have had this discussion before.

Dale.
I have a Cummins with a 6 spd standard 3:73 and without towing I get 20-21 sometimes a little better depends on the mix of driving. I tow a lot and sometimes from Cincinnati back to Maine with white oak logs. The last time I did this I went thru the scale in ohio and weighed in at 21,900. The truck , as equiped is 7k so that is a 14,900 pull thru some mountains .. My overall mpg was 14.2 exactly. My ford couldn't get that mpg empty without a trailer.

My engine is stock and will remain stock, there is no need to modify theCummins at all.

emichaels
03-29-2008, 05:31 PM
I used to have an '03 Ford F-250 diesel, the naturally aspirated 7.3l version. It got 15 MPG driving around, and got 14 MPG towing a 6,000 trailer. It wasn't entirely trouble free, but nothing major.

Have you stood next to the brand new Cummins. You almost can't tell its a diesel. What a shame. I love the sound of mine. Its a 2002.

Bob Smalser
03-29-2008, 05:31 PM

The new Dodges aren't, but the oldies are absolute horror stories of engine noise. Like the various Ford engines, exactly which one I can't keep track of.

My 4WD '87 F250 with a factory-rebuilt 7.3L NA IDI diesel gets 15-18 mpg with the front hubs unlocked. The C-6 tranny is new but the chassis has over 200k miles.

Haven't had any problems except the normal things that wear out in trucks that old. U-joints, heater cores (easy to change in an older Ford), belts and hoses, windshield wiper motors, new seats and carpet, weeping rear wheel cylinders, tie rod ends, ball joints and front axle pivot bushing. Generally the older the truck, the easier it is to work on at home, and pickups are especially easy because they have more room to work.

It's a reliable and comfortable enuf truck I'd take off for Florida tomorrow in it. As they can be had in the 8 grand range and only require a few hours of easy maintenance a month, it's by far the cheapest way to drive. The 40 grand that new truck'll cost ya buys me a whole lot of fuel even at high prices.

High C
03-29-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm glad to learn that the Cummins noise has been tamed. I think it's important that these engines be as quiet as possible to improve general acceptance of diesels. I drive a VW Golf with a diesel, and have never had a passenger notice that it was anything other than an ordinary engine, very quiet!

The Yanmar YSM12 in the boat, on the other hand.... :eek:

emichaels
03-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Those VW diesels are really nice motors. In Norway, relatives have a 4wd diesel VW van. Great transport.

High C
03-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Those VW diesels are really nice motors. In Norway, relatives have a 4wd diesel VW van. Great transport.

Indeed they are. I'd love to hold on to this one after the rest of the car dies and build a nice boat around it. :cool:

PeterSibley
03-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Interesting question , why not just ask what is the best pickup available ? Unless you know foreign will be better ?

boylesboats
03-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Just completed 1000 mile trip, 1996 Ford F250 8.5L gas engine towing 10,000+ RV. This was my first outing with this rig and I didn't really expect much fuel economy. But I got 7 MPG- cost nearly $900 for fuel. Also, the 5.8L did just fine pulling until we got on any sort of grade. Then we slowed to sometimes 40 MPH

So this has prompted me to thinking about new diesel pickups. I know some of you guys are driving them now- and I'd love to know your experience with them. Ford, GMC and Dodge- long bed king cab. What kind of mileage are you getting- and how do you like that new diesel?

With prices starting at 36K- this is a real big decision. Thanks in advance for any experience you might share.

Dale

cost of fuel vs. cost of new truck..
Better off stay with your old truck.. Its paid for, insurance and taxes will be reasonable.

On newer truck, look at all those up front fees, sale tax, higher insurance premium, cost of maintance, more interest to pay on $35K trucks... Ouch! Let alone saving any money for fuel to drive it

moTthediesel
03-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Well, I've got a '92 Dodge/Cummins D350 5sp. It's got almost 280k on the clock, doesn't leak oil, doesn't burn oil, and still gets about 22 mpg on the highway. Unfortunately, the body is turning into slightly truck-shaped pile of rust flakes :( That prob says more about where I live (just 80 miles from Syracuse, the "Salt City") than it does about the truck though.

My brother's got a '94 Ford F350 diesel 5sp. Sometimes, just for the heck of it, we trade trucks. I think I can say that we both agree that the D/C is the better truck in every way.

The old Getrag tranys that Dodge used to use are much maligned, but mine still works like brand new, go figure? The Ford (with only 170k miles) has no syncros left on 1, 2, & 3, and is a total bitch to shift. The Ford doesn't track as well on the highway, is noisier, and gets only about 15mpg light.

That said, if Toyota would build a diesel Tundra (WITH 3 PEDALS PLEASE!) I'd be on it like a cheap suit --

moT

coelacanth2
03-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Have an '04 F250 4x4 with 6 liter turbodiesel and auto tranny. I average 16 to 18 in mixed driving and up to 24 on the highway. It doesn't even notice a trailer until 5 or 6k lbs. Acceleration is amazing in such a heavy, blocky truck - nothing this big should be able to step out like this. Reliability has been reasonable, although I'm glad I bought the extended warranty, and an annoying clunk has resurfaced.
A buddy of mine is a game warden. They are using the Interceptor version of the Durango (the early model) with 360 magnum motors. He was chasing a poacher on a straight road down in Sussex county, was bumping into the speed limiter at 135 mph, and watched in disbelief as the poacher in a 350 dually left him behind. He said they could hear the turbos whining as they spooled up. The guy was over the Md. line before the heli could get there, or the Md. stateies could block the road...:eek:
I've been very satisfied with mine, even though fuel is ferocious now. If you aren't going to use it on a regular basis, one of the big 10 cylinder gas motors might be a good compromise - they will haul almost as much as one of the diesels, use regular, start easier in cold weather and are cheap on the used market. If buying new, I'd look at the cummins or powerstroke. Scuttlebutt locallu has it that the Chevy diesel blocks are cracking early.

James McMullen
03-29-2008, 11:24 PM
My brother has a diesel Chevy pickup which seems to work fine, but. . . .

7 miles per gallon would be considered freakishly good fuel economy for many of the large powerboats I see in my marina. I think as the price of fuel goes higher and higher fewer and fewer of these boats and fewer and fewer RV's are going to be towed very far or very often in the future.

I talked to the owner of one of these boats and he said his entire cruising plans for this summer was to drive just the few miles up to Sucia Is. and anchor there for two weeks or so living on the boat rather than go anywhere further. Just a waterfront cabin.

Milo Christensen
03-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Get a lighter weight RV.

JBreeze
03-30-2008, 08:14 AM
If you consider a used vehicle, don't mind travelling a bit, and are patient, sometimes you can find a reasonably priced diesel truck from the government:

http://www.autoauctions.gsa.gov/

Here is one in the "maint/utility" sales section:

http://daaid.autoremarketers.com/webapp/commerce/Item.aspx?ListingId=459531

http://daaid.autoremarketers.com/webapp/images/vehicles/L_200803/08595D0E-E1DE-43E2-81E2-EFC3933A47AD.JPG

PS....I've always wondered what the Ford F350 diesel 8 cyl. ambulances, yr. 2000 with less than 30K miles go for....maybe the low mileage aspect could offset the cost of a adding a junkyard pick-up bed?

moTthediesel
03-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Brian,
What's the fuel economy difference, though? I'm seeing fuel efficiency improvements for the engine/car I'm looking at along the lines of 30-50%... if the cost of diesel is 10% more than gasoline, but the efficiency improves by (even) 30%, you're still ahead.
Example, my old Rover v8 which I hate only gets 14-15mpg, but the planned conversion is widely accepted as getting 23-25mpg average with the same truck, tires, wheels, etc... that's a huge (64%) improvement, so if I keep Humpty Dumpty long enough... the diesel actually would pay for itself, and in the meantime, i extend my fuel tank range and spend less on fuel on a regular basis.

Exactimundo!

I used to have an old LandCruiser FJ60 with the Toyo-Chevy Stovebolt copy inline six. I'm sure that engine would run until the end of time, but the best mileage I ever saw with it was 14 mpg. I got a Canadian market Toyota 3B diesel from a wreck, added an eBay turbo and got better acceleration with 24 mpg to boot. The only down side was that it was, well, less than smooth. In fact, I'd say it shook like a wet dog at idle, smoothed out OK at highway speed though --

moT

Ken Hutchins
03-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Just wait for the Toyota comes out with that CAT diesel.

;)

emichaels
03-30-2008, 09:37 AM
This is one of many many articles I have read over the past several years concerning the ford lineup of diesels. In this case the 2003-2007 6.0L.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1h/bl789h.htm

LeeG
03-30-2008, 10:06 AM
I hate to be a stick in the mud but how many $900 trips do you have to make to recoup the cost of the new vehicle? So far diesel costs 16% or more over gas. Let's say your ideal truck able to tow 10,000lbs gets 15mpg(I have no idea what's possible) so you'll get 1/2 as many gallons for $450+15%(450)=$473.

If your new truck costs $40,000,,,,you'll have to do a LOT of trips before the fuel savings make a difference.

Tylerdurden
03-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Eric, dodge was my second choice. I went with ford because I have pounded them mercilessly over the years and always was impressed by how much punishment they would take. That last van I drove to 300k and pounded it going down your road about four times a day.
They are still using it up in Bangor. Both doges I had were gas but they were pretty shot after a 100k. One I threw rods in at 90k.
Lets not even talk brakes.
That is what I based it on. I never had this new 6.0 diesel but the old Internationals were fine.

I think if I could have a Cummins in a Ford chassis with the Allison automatic I would be a happy camper.http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

carioca1232001
03-30-2008, 12:01 PM
...... As they can be had in the 8 grand range and only require a few hours of easy maintenance a month, it's by far the cheapest way to drive. The 40 grand that new truck'll cost ya buys me a whole lot of fuel even at high prices.

With a bit of luck, a near-mint condition Ford pick-up truck could be awaiting the interested buyer.

Donn purchased one such pick-up truck. Do a search on WBF.

BrianW
03-30-2008, 01:19 PM
I think if I could have a Cummins in a Ford chassis with the Allison automatic I would be a happy camper.

My thoughts exactly.

As far as fuel economy vs. fuel price... the wifes 97 Expedition with the 5.4liter and my 93 F250 with 7.3IDI turbo, get about the same mpg. So it's a wash for me. The Expedition is going to get swap out for a used Tacoma soon.

Thorne
03-30-2008, 01:39 PM
While I'm waiting for small diesel pickups to become available here, I've replaced my Nissan 4x4 with this German-built Jetta diesel wagon -

http://www.luckhardt.com/TDIcraigslist-photo.jpg

As discussed above, most "american" vehicles have some foreign parts and assembly locations. Diesels are worse, like the Jeep Liberty CRD with the mix of Italian motor and other powertrain parts that don't play nicely together.

The only current option for small diesel pickups is that some shops are offering adapter kits for the 1.9L TDI motors for some Subaru and one Tacoma model -- but these have got to be problematic until the tech matures.

As usual, I suspect that Bob S's advice to get a late 80's pickup for towing is best.

Bob Cleek
03-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Just filled up my '99 GMC V8 and the pump shut off at $74. Some loss prevention thing with the credit card. That bought me about 20 gallons of regular. Gas was selling for three something, but diesel was going for four sixy-nine. So much for cheaper diesel! I've been very happy with my GMC, but don't do much towing.

I'll say this, though, the next truck I buy, I'm definitely going to put a Banks Power Pack on it. I put one on the Ford 470 in the motor home and experienced a TREMENDOUS increase in power and a noticeable increase in fuel economy. I figure the Banks package pays for itself by the time you are into about a quarter of the life of the engine, and you get to enjoy the increased performance. The other guys are going over the mountain passes in the "truck slow" lane at thirty five and forty and I'm passing them at fifty.

PeterSibley
03-30-2008, 05:37 PM
This isn't a pickup ,just a salon but it's a sign of what's in the pipeline ....224 hp and 40 mpg SUV from BMW .
http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news3.3d.html

WX
03-30-2008, 10:30 PM
You will be able to buy an Australian ute soon.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/hsv-z-series-4-big.JPG

WX
03-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Of course when I say an Australian car, I mean made in Australian from parts mostly made overseas. Add to that the fact that GM Holden is really a US company...we don't really have an Australian car industry as such. It's all overseas owned but we like to think Holden is as Australian as meat pies.

John B
03-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Its rebadged and uglified as a Pontiac.
http://us.tnpv.net/2008/GMC200803/GMC2008031482878_PV.jpg

carioca1232001
03-31-2008, 07:02 AM
Of course when I say an Australian car, I mean made in Australian from parts mostly made overseas. Add to that the fact that GM Holden is really a US company...we don't really have an Australian car industry as such. It's all overseas owned but we like to think Holden is as Australian as meat pies.

Partly right, and if I may say so, partly fizzy !.

VW is a German car-manufacturing business, but its Brazilian subsidiary has designed and produced unique models, like for instance, the 4-door taxis in the 70īs and 80īs, the Karmann Ghia TC as follows

http://djjaragua.vilabol.uol.com.br/tc1600.htm

plus a front-engined Gol using the air-cooled, flat-four-banger and more importantly, the SP 1 and SP2.

The latter were rather nice looking sports cars but a commercial flop:

http://www.vwsp2.com.br/galeria/mundo.htm

You may find the same to be true in Australia too, i.e., unique designs of automotive vehicles.

After all, engines, transmisions, suspensions and coach-work have been a world-wide commodity for at least 50 years now, so any innovation that remains in this business has to do with packaging these components in a particular way.

High C
03-31-2008, 07:41 AM
Ack! We've had those cars here already in the 1970s, the Ford Ranchero and the Chevy El Camino. No thanks! :p

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/classics/photos/103500/103953.1971.Ford.Ranchero.jpg

http://www.auto-classics.net/files/79ElCamino.jpg

Keith Wilson
03-31-2008, 09:07 AM
The new Dodges aren't, but the oldies are absolute horror stories of engine noise. True story - I was working a lot on a some new production machinery in Detroit when the first Dodge Cummins diesel pickup came out, and had some contact with the engineers. They said that the noise was at least partly intentional; at least they didn't try to get rid of it. Apparently the marketing people said the clatter and vibration made it sound like a real macho truck and would make it sell better. They made an analogy with Harley-Davidsons, which were popular in part because of the noise and vibration. Really.

Mrleft8
03-31-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm looking at new (or at least newer) trucks too.....Mine is on it's last legs I'm afraid... The conclusion that I've come to is: There are no real trucks made for people who want to use them as trucks any more. They're all sissified, comfort zone, prissy, pansy, all show and no go, crapola, with outrageous price tags. What ever happened to the basic vinyl bench seat, 6 Cyl. 2 wheel drive truck with an am/fm radio? Now its all freakin' cloth seats, and surround sound, and "style sides" and two tone paint with metal flake, and custom alloy wheels.... For $27,000!!!!!!! I want a basic freakin' work truck, not a beauty machine to take to the transfer station once a month..... I don't need, or want a crew cab..... I just want a truck...

BrianW
03-31-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm sure guys have some sort of 'equipment trader' publication down there. That's the sort of place to look for work trucks.

Ron Williamson
03-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Just for Lefty
http://www.best-used-tractors.com/images/mini2.jpg
R

carioca1232001
03-31-2008, 08:12 PM
......... The conclusion that I've come to is: There are no real trucks made for people who want to use them as trucks any more. They're all sissified, comfort zone, prissy, pansy, all show and no go, crapola, with outrageous price tags.

It has happened everywhere. Pickup trucks have become yuppie trophies.

.What ever happened to the basic vinyl bench seat, 6 Cyl. 2 wheel drive truck with an am/fm radio? Now its all freakin' cloth seats, and surround sound, and "style sides" and two tone paint with metal flake, and custom alloy wheels....

Gone with the wind !

. For $27,000!!!!!!! I want a basic freakin' work truck, not a beauty machine to take to the transfer station once a month..... I don't need, or want a crew cab..... I just want a truck...

Perhaps a 1980īs Ford F 250 for around 8 K US$ is the way to solve your dilemma ?

Mrleft8
03-31-2008, 08:44 PM
'80's F-250 that gets 5 MPG? No thanks. I have no need for a 250, nor can I afford that kind of mileage. I'm just looking for a basic 6 cyl. F-150 with no frills....I may even have to go back to Chevy, even though I loathe them....

Bob Smalser
03-31-2008, 08:51 PM
'80's F-250 that gets 5 MPG? No thanks. I have no need for a 250, nor can I afford that kind of mileage. I'm just looking for a basic 6 cyl. F-150 with no frills....I may even have to go back to Chevy, even though I loathe them....

Nobody sells commercial vehicles in New England? Fleet vehicles. White paint, cloth seats, heater, radio and that's it.

I bought one at a commercial vehicle auction last year for short errands not healthy to diesels that should run for at least a half hour every time you crank them. 2003 Dodge Dakota PU. V-6. 34,000 miles. Gray. 2wd. Cloth seats. Radio. Heater. 30+ mpg. 7 grand.

Mrleft8
03-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Nobody sells commercial vehicles in New England? Fleet vehicles. White paint, cloth seats, heater, radio and that's it.

I bought one at a commercial vehicle auction last year for short errands not healthy to diesels that should run for at least a half hour every time you crank them. 2003 Dodge Dakota PU. V-6. 34,000 miles. Gray. 2wd. Cloth seats. Radio. Heater. 30+ mpg. 7 grand.
You'd have to show up at the auction with a pack of pitbulls and an Uzi to get that truck for that price here, Bob...

Bob Smalser
03-31-2008, 09:17 PM
You'd have to show up at the auction with a pack of pitbulls and an Uzi to get that truck for that price here, Bob...

I ain't kidding. "Fleet" means exactly that. Waiting for a government or commercial vehicle auction with a dozen trucks of the same type will get you one at a good price.

With the economy downturn, I'm currently looking for a single-axle 5yd diesel dump. I passed one up last year that had only 90k miles, a Cat engine and was plumbed for a snow plow. It went for 8 grand and I've been kicking myself ever since.

I've got a diesel mechanic neighbor who haunts those big auctions for fixeruppers he resells. Take his New England counterpart to breakfast sometime.

JBreeze
03-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Here ya go, Bob:

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucflitlnk?v=1FDNF80C2TVA16118

http://gsaauctions.gov/lotimages/regn3/3BFBPC08507062.JPG

Lefty...N Dighton, MA might be closest to you:

http://www.autoauctions.gsa.gov/calendar.cfm?ThisCal=4-1-2008

FWIW, I bought a 4 cyl. commuter car at one of the auctions....3 years old, $5k, 50K miles...now its at 86K miles w/no problems. While at the auction, a 28' '96 international diesel box van w/reefer went for $2K....told a friend about it later, and he said the Themo-King diesel reefer alone was worth much more than $2K:D

Bob Smalser
03-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Here ya go, Bob:

Perfect. ;)

And remind Doug that those fleet vehicles usually had dealer contract maintenance.

Wayne Jeffers
04-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm looking at new (or at least newer) trucks too. . . . There are no real trucks made for people who want to use them as trucks any more. They're all sissified, comfort zone, prissy, . . . with outrageous price tags. What ever happened to the basic vinyl bench seat, 6 Cyl. 2 wheel drive truck with an am/fm radio? Now its all freakin' cloth seats, . . . . For $27,000!!!!!!! I want a basic freakin' work truck, not a beauty machine to take to the transfer station once a month..... I don't need, or want a crew cab..... I just want a truck...
I bet your first mistake is looking only at what your local dealer has on his lot. You won’t find a no-BS new truck on a dealer lot. I stopped by the local Ford dealer a few weeks ago. I don’t think there was one truck under $40K. All 4WD, mostly double cab (or whatever they call it), leather seats, electrical everything, mostly with beds about 4’ long (not one truck on the lot with an 8’ bed.) They were like luxury cars with no trunk lid!

If you are willing to buy new, what you should do is to have a dealer order exactly what you want. That’s the only way I’ve ever bought a new vehicle. The dealer has lower costs on a special-order unit as he doesn’t have money tied up in inventory sitting on his lot, ditto insurance costs, any inventory taxes, etc. Look up the features, colors, etc., that you want on the Internet, together with the dealer cost. Call nearby dealers, tell them exactly what you want, and offer them $200 over the dealer inventory. Give them a deposit to order it so they know they won't be stuck with a unit that most of their customers won't want.

I don’t think anybody makes vinyl seats these days, and for good reason IMO. Cloth is the new vinyl. Leather is the new upscale upholstery.

If (like me) you want a regular cab and an 8’ bed, you are pretty well limited to American brands. (Toyota makes the Tundra in that configuration, but it is available only in very limited areas of the country.)

I was looking at new trucks mostly to get an automatic transmission so Michelle can share the driving when we’re towing the camper. (She’s never been able to shift for herself! :D ) After looking around, I decided to keep the 10-year-old GMC a while longer. It appears that several companies will bring out new smaller diesels in a couple of years and those may be better suited to my needs.

Wayne

fstrumpf
04-01-2008, 03:53 PM
There is the Chevy Worktruck. basic truck, V6, vinyl floor covering, crank windows. Less than 20K.

boylesboats
04-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Only thing I hate about newer trucks and cars, is EMP (electromagentic pulse) can sap the vehicle dead its track..

Mrleft8
04-02-2008, 08:53 AM
20 grand for a freakin' truck..... What a bunch of..... Anyway....Good idea on the auction front, I'll have to see what comes up...

Robmill0605
04-02-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm in the car business, and I will tell you that truck sales are dropping like flies.
The dealers cannot give them away. At our dealership (BMW) the wholesalers won't even call you back on a truck trade in.
They are stacking up in dealers lots like cord wood. Negotiate very hard on these.
If you are in the market for a truck, you cannot beat the Tundra or the
F-150. IMO.
Just remember one last thing.

There is no such thing as an American made vehicle.

Sub- assemblies, engines, rear end, etc come from everywhere around the globe. Look at the Maroni sticker ( window sticker). By law, it will say the percentage of foreign made parts in the vehicle, and where final assemble was done.
Example:
The Lincoln Zepher, ( American made?) now called something else, is assembled in Mexico!
Welcome to globalization.

Mrleft8
04-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Thing that gets me is..... The tacoma, the ranger, and the F-150 all get about the same MPG.... 1-2-3 MPG difference.... The Ranger is 2 grand less than the F-150, the Tacoma is 2 grand MORE..... None of this is making sense to this old yankee.....

oldsub86
04-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Only thing I hate about newer trucks and cars, is EMP (electromagentic pulse) can sap the vehicle dead its track..

Not all of them. My old mechanical injection diesel will keep on rolling.

Randy

Didn't read that carefully did I? He said "newer" and my car is definitely not "newer"!

paladin
04-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Yup!, but I'll kill your brakes and lotsa other things dead in their tracks.....virtually all braking systems are computer controlled these days......we had that problem with the large tractors used to tow vans (18 wheelers) that looked like moving vans, only we were building electronic listening stuff inside....I wrote a couple of papers warning about the problems and the idiots wouldn't listen.....second demo on the road at Picatinny, in a terrorist simulation, destroyed the truck and contents with a simple spark gap transmitter.....they just blew 3 million bucks for the boondoggle....

boyle
04-02-2008, 10:19 PM
my inlaws got 3 trucks one is a 1978 ford f-250 camper spical with a 460 another one is 1990 gmc 1500 with a 350 and the last one is a a 83 nesan with a 4 banger. i dont need a truck i can drive one of them and my dad gots a 78 chevy 1 ton with a 350. so im set i dont really like the new trucks they are ugly.