PDA

View Full Version : Paint over rivets

Pell
11-09-2004, 11:19 PM
I am starting to rivet and wonder if I could paint over the rosehead rivets ,as I wish to keep as much wood as possible with the planking 1/2 inch ,or should I sink the heads and putty.Another stupid question I know ...sorry.Has anyone built a Joel white peapod .I would like to do something different with the centerboard.Yet Bob cleek has in the past made a very worthwhile point about changing things and really needing to know what your doing.I would like to make the centerboard go through the center of the keel beefing it up .I am a little short in knowing what Im doing so .....probably a bad idea considering I dont even know if I should sink the rivets or not.Thanks for the advice in advance and for previous help

Mrleft8
11-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Of course you can paint over the rivets. I wouldn't countersink them.

landlocked sailor
11-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Are you using countersunk rivets?
http://www.faeringdesigninc.com/prod/tnflat.jpg
Or rosehead?
http://www.faeringdesigninc.com/prod/tnrose.jpg
Rick

Bob Cleek
11-10-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm no peapod guru, but I do recall reading about them in John Gardiner's books ("Building Small Craft, More Building..., Even More Building Small Craft.. Small Craft You Can Build, and all that.) Fortunately, they are all still in print and available from the WB store.

IIRC, Gardiner discusses the differences in centerboarded and non-centerboarded peapods. The main distinction is that the centerboard models have "plank keels" and the non-centerboarders have "log keels." A plank keel has its greatest dimension running athwartships like a plank laid flat. This permits a centerboard slot to be cut on either side of the false keel, which is attached below and serves to keep her running straight. A log keel has its greatest dimension running up and down. You can't really make a log keel wide enough in your average peapod to make room to cut a centerboard slot thorough it and, given strength considerations, you probably wouldn't want to.

Check out the Gardiner books. He actually gives you the lines, offsets and "how to" text. You get a whole bunch of peapod plans and instructions for the price of a single book! There's bound to be one in there that strikes your fancy. (Sorry, Joel...)

Tom Dugan
11-11-2004, 11:11 AM
With rosehead rivets simply paint over them and don't worry about it. If they were flathead rivets the rivetting process would countersink them a bit anyway, but you still would just paint over them.

It's a boat! Not a piece of furniture! Build it and get on the water. :D

-T

(Edited for stupid spelling.)

[ 11-11-2004, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Tom Dugan ]