PDA

View Full Version : ...and about Tibet

JMAC
03-22-2008, 07:42 AM
It seems like 90% of the reporting I've heard about the situation in Tibet has been from the Chinese point of view. Is this fair and unbiased journalism?

The Bigfella
03-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Possibly a slight bias to the Chinese viewpoint I would think.

StevenBauer
03-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Sine the Chinese have thrown out all other journalists and imposed Martial Law it's not too surprising. And all the US press is occupied with way too soon election coverage. It's appalling what's going on over in Tibet right now. If China is admitting 17 dead I wonder what the real number is?

Steven

Ian McColgin
03-22-2008, 10:03 AM
My goddaughter has been sending updates.

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77020&highlight=tibet

I wish I’d kept the latest as it addressed just this point. She was involved with a story that exposed how it’s actually Chinese provocateurs who are provoking the violence. Outside of China but around Asia the story was on a couple of the more reliable internet news operations for a while, then it disappeared for a bit, then returned with minor changes and so on. It appears that there are not just Chinese provocateurs in the riots, but Chinese hackers playing with the news, and the ever present Chinese thugs trying to intimidate reporters.

The US press is so obtuse on this story because the tedious ins and outs of actually reporting the story get so confusingly repetitious that western readers quickly get bored, no readership generating revenue, and the media pretty much drop it. Score one for repression.

We also have today’s story that China has embargoed live TV coverage from now right through the Games. Score two for repression.

But there are many folk like my goddaughter and the reporters with whom she’s hanging. For all we know, the Dali Lama will walk to Beijing. This story will not be repressed.

JMAC
03-22-2008, 12:29 PM
and hearing George say the games aren't political and he looks forward to attending...made me think again that Carter acted on his principles in boycotting the '80 Olympics. I didn't like it at the time, but there's just as much a case for a boycott now.

bamamick
03-22-2008, 02:02 PM
I am sure that I am quite jaded on this issue, but there are about a trillion and a half reasons why you won't see the Tibetan point of view. The Dalai Lama has been asking for help from the west for 50 years and no one cared enough to help (or to be fair, could not help in any practical way). No one will do anything now.

During the Cold War the US and our allies were able to exert a lot of economic pressure upon the USSR and their allies. Add that to the fact that the system had run it's course and change was inevitable. This time there will be no economic pressure. How can there be? The change that it would take would shake the world to it's foundations, and the wealthy people of the world are not going to sacrifice what they have for Tibet. No way. Heck, they have already mortgaged the financial freedom of the US to the Chinese for their own personal gain. Tibet is probably not even an afterthought to most of them (the ruling class).

On the other hand, I wonder what the opinion of this is in India?

Mickey Lake