PDA

View Full Version : John McCain,,this is sad

LeeG
03-18-2008, 02:46 PM
as long as candidates words are up for examination. What a contrast.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/03/18/a_mccain_gaffe_in_jordan.html

AMMAN, Jordan -- Sen. John McCain, traveling in the Middle East to promote his foreign policy expertise, misidentified in remarks Tuesday which broad category of Iraqi extremists are allegedly receiving support from Iran.

He said several times that Iran, a predominately Shiite country, was supplying the mostly Sunni militant group, al-Qaeda. In fact, officials have said they believe Iran is helping Shiite extremists in Iraq.

Speaking to reporters in Amman, the Jordanian capital, McCain said he and two Senate colleagues traveling with him continue to be concerned about Iranian operatives "taking al-Qaeda into Iran, training them and sending them back."

Pressed to elaborate, McCain said it was "common knowledge and has been reported in the media that al-Qaeda is going back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran, that's well known. And it's unfortunate." A few moments later, Sen. Joseph Lieberman, standing just behind McCain, stepped forward and whispered in the presidential candidate's ear. McCain then said: "I'm sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not al-Qaeda."

The mistake threatened to undermine McCain's argument that his decades of foreign policy experience make him the natural choice to lead a country at war with terrorists. In recent days, McCain has repeatedly said his intimate knowledge of foreign policy make him the best equipped to answer a phone ringing in the White House late at night.

John of Phoenix
03-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Always remember -

There's a lot of talk about Iraq on our TV screens, and there should be, because we're trying to figure out how best to make the world a peaceful place. There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again. You've got to understand the nature of the regime we're dealing with.
Ya unnerstan? We gotta unnerstan the nature of the regimes we NOT dealing with..

botebum
03-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Same package, different wrapper.

Doug

Tom Montgomery
03-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Stay the course.

TC
03-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Quote:
"There's a lot of talk about Iraq on our TV screens, and there should be, because we're trying to figure out how best to make the world a peaceful place. There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again. You've got to understand the nature of the regime we're dealing with. "

Oh how sad. He thinks that just because he's as inarticulate as W, he's presidential material.

Tim

Keith Wilson
03-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Good God, another one! We're up to our necks in an highly volatile area that has an incredible complexity of religions, sects within religions, ethnicities, languages and cultures, demanding the utmost in diplomatic skill to sort out and deal with, and we have another republican who can't tell the difference between Wahabi and Shiite!!

LeeG
03-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Kind of a mind blower isn't it?

I honestly understand that he could be tired, that he could have flubbed a phrase like calling Australia Austria,,all those letters get jumbled up for the dyslexic but there are some things you don't flub when they are important.

And what's important to McCain is repeating illogical associations.

MiddleAgesMan
03-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Has anyone else noticed the sing-song tone McCain adopts when reading his speeches, especially when his speech writer is waxing poetic over some emotional topic. I really think he has pre-senile dementia a'building.

As for Bush's speech, he mispronounces the simple word "to." "We have tuh do the hard work." "You have tuh fight the terrists over there so we don't have tuh fight them at home."

You have tuh love the big dummy. ;)

LeeG
03-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Note to forumites down under,,you'd understand someone mixing up Australia for Austria wouldn't you? I mean you're neighbors right?

skuthorp
03-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Dah. Das ist richt. Und der Nieu Zilanders spik......um.....Hollandiaise?? Vell It zounds lik tat.

Mrleft8
03-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Early stage alsheimers.....Remember Reagan? (he didn't) No accountability is a great way to run a puppet govt. "I don't recall...."

LeeG
03-18-2008, 04:30 PM
could you imagine another puppet president?

Ok,,Jon Stewart skit on the 3am phone call.

"President McCain, wake up, wake up....."

"oh ****"

rbgarr
03-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Pressed to elaborate, McCain said it was "common knowledge and has been reported in the media that al-Qaeda is going back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran, that's well known. And it's unfortunate." A few moments later, Sen. Joseph Lieberman, standing just behind McCain, stepped forward and whispered in the presidential candidate's ear. McCain then said: "I'm sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not al-Qaeda."

Uh, helLO!?! McCain is just now realizing that Iraq's borders are virtually porous?? That was one of the main concerns of those who were against the war in the first place!!

ljb5
03-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Uh, helLO!?! McCain is just now realizing that Iraq's borders are virtually porous?? That was one of the main concerns of those who were against the war in the first place!!

It's not just that the borders are porous, it's that he doesn't have an appreciation for the nature of the conflict and who the enemies are.

Is al Qaeda Sunni or Shiite? Who is funding al Qaeda? Who do we support? Is Saudi Arabia Sunni or Shiite? Who does Saudi Arabia support?

Who are our friends? Who are our enemies?

Is the enemy of our enemy our friend? Is the enemy of our friend our enemy?

These questions aren't just trivia or sociological nuance --- they are vital to our interests.

elf
03-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Look, guys. The chimp has assured us that Al Qaeda is the evildoer and Iran is the evildoer, right? So, of course, Iran is training Al Qaeda. It couldn't possibly be our friend, Saudi Arabia, they're our friends. Right?

LeeG
03-18-2008, 05:38 PM
you got it LJ, McCain is a better politician than GW but we cannot afford this kind of imprecision where McCain must think he's speaking to an American audience and not the one in Jordan/Middle East.

This is like a mechanic who is working on your car and you realize he doesn't know the right terminology for his tools or your car.

rbgarr
03-18-2008, 05:45 PM
The line that's being parroted now about how our 'involvement' in Iraq is like those in Japan, Germany or South Korea is so lame. The Japanese and Germans weren't fighting us after the defeat and surrender! The South Koreans were never fighting us!