PDA

View Full Version : this is original

Paul Pless
03-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Both my sister and I run small businesses and have done so for a long time. Besides being close siblings we have also had close working relationships. I think its safe to safe we're both a bit jaded when it comes to the antics of staff when its become necessary for us to either let them or for them to quit. But she called me this morning with a new one.

My sister runs a retail organic health food store in Savannah. She has (had) a new employee, named Sheryl Robinson, that has been there a couple of weeks, running her smoothie/juice bar and has been doing a pretty good job. But, she has no real knowledge of health food or the issues surrounding the industry. So yesterday my sister sent her home with a few relevant cookbooks and reference books to study.

So, this morning, a well dressed gentleman, walks into her busy store, and drops the books my sister had given Sheryl on the floor in the very middle of the sales floor. Then unfolds a large poster, that had printed on it in bold letters Sheryl Robertson Quits!. And then he made a circuit of the sales floor holding the sign above his head, before leaving, without having said a single word.

It takes all types, don't it?:D:D:D

Joe (SoCal)
03-06-2008, 11:18 AM
No offense Paul but people that gravitate to work in organic health food store are ummmmmmm peculiar. FWIW Lady Barbara used to work at a organic health food store. You remember her ;) :D

martin schulz
03-06-2008, 11:30 AM
I agree with Joe.

This is definitely not the whole story.

Aside from that. When people apply at my agency I demand they do so by themselves. I won't accept mothers, fathers nor husbands talking for their children/Husband/spouse.

Paul Pless
03-06-2008, 11:30 AM
You know Joe I would tend to agree, but my sister lives one of the most normal and well rounded lives of anybody I've ever met. And organics and healthy lifestyles are becoming much more mainstream, than they used to be.

Paul Pless
03-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Aside from that. When people apply at my agency I demand they do so by themselves. I won't accept mothers, fathers nor husbands talking for their children/Husband/spouse.I agree completely, that's not what happened here though.

martin schulz
03-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I agree completely, that's not what happened here though.

No, but what happened here is that the husband delivered the termination. I wouldn't accept that either.

Paul I still believe there is more to the story. I guess the girl had been pi**ed all along without saying anything. The book-assignment was just the trigger.

Bruce Hooke
03-06-2008, 11:40 AM
No, but what happened here is that the husband delivered the termination. I wouldn't accept that either.

My guess is that the employee never showed up again and probably would not have returned calls, so you probably would not have much choice but to accept it, or simply accept that her not turning up meant she had de facto quit.

Leon m
03-06-2008, 11:41 AM
So, this morning, a well dressed gentleman, walks into her busy store, and drops the books my sister had given Sheryl on the floor in the very middle of the sales floor. Then unfolds a large poster, that had printed on it in bold letters Sheryl Robertson Quits!. And then he made a circuit of the sales floor holding the sign above his head, before leaving, without having said a single word.

For some reason Christian Fundamentalist comes to mind.

Joe (SoCal)
03-06-2008, 12:05 PM
You know Joe I would tend to agree, but my sister lives one of the most normal and well rounded lives of anybody I've ever met. And organics and healthy lifestyles are becoming much more mainstream, than they used to be.

My comment was meant for people that choose to work in one of those stores NOT the people who go in BUSINESS and operate and RUN the places. Usually they have to have their head on strait. Im talking about the flakes who glide by and say oooooh man I'm gonna aspire to work the counter at a health food store so I can ummmmm be ya know healthy livin man, feel my Chie and spread the gospel of low sodium fat free soy.

Additionally I have to say if you ever want to see a truly unhealthy looking human being walk into a crunchy granola health-food store and just walk up to the counter. Or over hear how "ummm because I'm ya know lactose, wheat, zinc and alfalfa allergic I practically broke out in hives when my ummm ya know boyfriend had a bowl of cherioes with WHOLE MILK. :eek::eek::eek:

You get the picture. ;)

Brian Palmer
03-06-2008, 12:15 PM

No, as my FIL would say, we just have all types.

Brian

Chris Coose
03-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Additionally I have to say if you ever want to see a truly unhealthy looking human being walk into a crunchy granola health-food store and just walk up to the counter.

Should I post some photos of me, the bride and Ella for your diagnosis?
Which foot goes to mouth this day?

George Roberts
03-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Federal law: If the books are required reading, compensation for reading time is to be provided.

I hope the husband files a complaint.

Paul Pless
03-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Federal law: If the books are required reading, compensation for reading time is to be provided.

I hope the husband files a complaint.Don't you think you need to know a little more information about the situation before you make such a bold statement?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
03-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Can we have some sympathy for the guy with the poster.....

What do you think he got served to cause that response?
An artichoke smoothie?
Baked Garlic in peanut butter sauce - instead of something bacon based?

Joe (SoCal)
03-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Should I post some photos of me, the bride and Ella for your diagnosis?
Which foot goes to mouth this day?

Probably should just stick both of them up my arse the way I'm going today :(:o:o

man I can't win for loosing pissing people off these days :rolleyes:

elf
03-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Amazing what people will do to control other people. I wonder how the man was related to the new employee for a start.

But my hunch would be on the man not wanting the woman to work. After that I'd worry about whether there was a serious imbalance of power in the woman's household.

What a shame, i hope the woman is safe.

Paul Pless
03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Can we have some sympathy for the guy with the poster.....

What do you think he got served to cause that response?
An artichoke smoothie?
Baked Garlic in peanut butter sauce - instead of something bacon based?ROFLMAO!!!:D:D:D:D

George Roberts
03-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Paul Pless ---

Were the books intended to be read by the employee? (yes)

Was she compensated for the reading time? (no)

Is the employee exempt? (no)

Feel free to add any information you think is relevant.
Until then ...

Hughman
03-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Amazing what people will do to control other people. I wonder how the man was related to the new employee for a start.

But my hunch would be on the man not wanting the woman to work. After that I'd worry about whether there was a serious imbalance of power in the woman's household.

What a shame, i hope the woman is safe.

I think ELF has it.

John of Phoenix
03-06-2008, 03:06 PM
What was in those books? :eek:

What kind of person would request (require?) a spouse/SO to pull such a stunt?
What kind of dumb ass would actually do it?

"You wanna quit Sweetie? Fine - quit. Give 'em a call, write 'em a letter, don't show up, go down there and pickett the place, burn it down, whatever. You're a big girl now, all grown up and haired over - YOU'RE gonna do it yourself."

elf
03-06-2008, 04:36 PM
John, behavior of that sort quite often points to some psychological and often physical abuse in the relationship. Often it's not dumb, it's much more ugly than just dumb.

MarkC
03-07-2008, 04:13 AM
a well dressed gentleman, walks into her busy store, and drops the books my sister had given Sheryl on the floor in the very middle of the sales floor. Then unfolds a large poster, that had printed on it in bold letters Sheryl Robertson Quits!. And then he made a circuit of the sales floor holding the sign above his head, before leaving, without having said a single word.

One angry bloke!

martin schulz
03-07-2008, 04:16 AM
Wait-a-moment guys.

Conclusions?

What we know:
1. there is a girl named Sheryl working more or less satisfactory in a health-food store
2. her boss believes that some further private schooling makes sense and asks the girl do do some reading, giving her some books
3. a "well-dressed" gentleman walks into the store hands back the books and shows a sign saying "Sheryl quits"

What we don't know:
1. the relation of the well-dressed gentleman towards Sheryl
2. the reason the books were brought back
3. the reason the gentleman, who is apparently "speaking" for Sheryl is quitting the job for Sheryl

Some further insight in this strange case will be appreciated!

ljb5
03-07-2008, 04:53 AM

This theory has never been verified with a double-blind controlled experiment. :)

I have little experience dealing with crazy people, but something about this makes me think the guy was a paid messenger, not a husband/boyfriend. The fact that he was well dressed and quiet.

Seems to me that an angry husband or boyfriend would want to have a few words with the manager, but a professional messenger is just looking to deliver the message and get out.

You said the sign was printed..... was it a professional print job or more like something from a home printer?

rbgarr
03-07-2008, 06:20 AM
Paul,

Brighter Day?

Paul Pless
03-07-2008, 06:53 AM
It turns out it was her husband. For what its worth, my sister got in touch with the girl, who was upset about the situation and mentioned that she liked the job and that she would like to continue to work there, but her husband wouldn't let her. Messed up, eh?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
03-07-2008, 07:07 AM
It turns out it was her husband. ...... Messed up, eh?

Maybe - there's a near religious thing with some aspects of the Organic/Healthfood/Veggie people - feelings can run high - there may also be personal stuff.... I'd hesitate to criticise anyone without a lot more info....

I still kinda fancy the roast garlic and peanut butter sauce.

martin schulz
03-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Perhaps he just didn't like the concept of health food stores.

I mean some people eat trash food (which is ok if they like it), but very often those people feel attacked by other people who have decided to live different. Then the fast-food vs health-food issue becomes a quasi-religious argument (don't ask me how often I had to defend myself just because I don't eat meat).

Perhaps that is the problem here?

Alexander2
03-07-2008, 08:02 AM
she would like to continue to work there, but her husband wouldn't let her. Messed up, eh?

Perhaps he works for Little Debbie.

mmd
03-07-2008, 08:53 AM
I like George Roberts' contention that one must be compensated for work-related reading done on personal time. Though in principle that is fine, on a practical level it fails, particularly at a professional level. I sure as hell wish I could be compensated for all the technical reading I have to do on my own time. And I quite blithely have recently given a few of my textbooks on metal boat construction to my drafting staff to read at home. And they happily accepted the assignment, because they want to improve their knowledge on the subject and become a better employee. Gotta love that level of ambition, eh?

S/V Laura Ellen
03-07-2008, 08:56 AM
It turns out it was her husband. For what its worth, my sister got in touch with the girl, who was upset about the situation and mentioned that she liked the job and that she would like to continue to work there, but her husband wouldn't let her. Messed up, eh?

Seems ELF was right. Too bad she feels stuck in that situation.

S/V Laura Ellen
03-07-2008, 08:58 AM

I hope the husband files a complaint.

Don't you think you need to know a little more information about the situation before you make such a bold statement?

It's never stopped him before.

S.V. Airlie
03-07-2008, 08:58 AM
I wonder who will show up asking for a reference?

Chris Ostlind
03-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Paul Pless ---

Were the books intended to be read by the employee? (yes)

Was she compensated for the reading time? (no)

Is the employee exempt? (no)

Feel free to add any information you think is relevant.
Until then ...

Dude... is there anything you won't say to make yourself more obtuse? Life does not run by the reading of a regulation on a wall.

And just what makes you so sure that no compensation was offered, or would be given, of any kind? I just keep getting this feeling that you have spent your life as a minor mole in some governmental agency where rote learning and regulations are your staple diet.

It would do you good to buy some foodstuffs from the market so depicted in the thread. Might just loosen up those crusty bowels and put you on a path to redemption.

Bruce Hooke
03-07-2008, 09:11 AM

Pretty sad. Seems elf read the situation exactly right.

Joe (SoCal)
03-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Way to forecast elf

What an absolute controlling tool the husband is :mad:
Gets me pissed off even thinking about it :mad:
That girl better loose that zero and find herself a hero.
Damn nothing I hate more than a controlling husband.

Joe (SoCal)
03-07-2008, 09:22 AM
It would do you good to buy some foodstuffs from the market so depicted in the thread. Might just loosen up those crusty bowels and put you on a path to redemption.

Dude, That was funny. :D :D :D

Andrew Craig-Bennett
03-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Full marks to elf.

There are a lot of men like that, it seems - making life miserable for people.

hokiefan
03-07-2008, 11:06 AM

This just blows my mind. If I tried to tell my wife that I wouldn't let her do something she would laugh in my face. If I tried to do it twice, I'd be picking my s*** off of her front yard.

Ah well, to each his own.:(

Bobby

Kaa
03-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Damn nothing I hate more than a controlling husband.

Ahem.

Umm....

*cough* *cough*

Yeah....

:D

Kaa

Joe (SoCal)
03-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Ahem.

Umm....

*cough* *cough*

Yeah....

:D

Kaa

What exactly are you insinuating?
I have never been nor was I a controling man. May I remind you my wife chose to leave me, once she made that choice it was her choice and I never challenged it.

My current girlfriend post her oppinions unfettered by any influience by me. Her words and ideas are her own. I would never be as controling as the husband in this thread and I resent the implication :(

Kaa
03-07-2008, 12:04 PM
What exactly are you insinuating?

Nah, calm down. I didn't mean you were a controlling husband. I meant that you, likely having spent a considerable part of your life chasing the laydees, would have probably have a dim view of *their* controlling husbands :D

Kaa

Bob Adams
03-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Don't you think you need to know a little more information about the situation before you make such a bold statement?

Hey, it's George.:rolleyes:

Joe (SoCal)
03-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Nah, calm down. I didn't mean you were a controlling husband. I meant that you, likely having spent a considerable part of your life chasing the laydees, would have probably have a dim view of *their* controlling husbands :D

Kaa

Ahhhhh got ya, sorry for the miscomunication ( I think I'm having a bad week of that ;) )

But to be honest, I never chased married women ........ They chased me ;) No seriously there were more than enough single woman out there that found a charming, non controling fella like me refreshingly attractive :)

Keith Wilson
03-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Baked garlic in peanut sauce sounds pretty good, actually . .. Thai-style sauce like with satay? Mmmmmm.

I sincerely hope Sheryl Robertson finds herself some other well-dressed man who really is a gentleman, unlike the turkey with the sign.

John of Phoenix
03-07-2008, 12:47 PM
This just blows my mind. If I tried to tell my wife that I wouldn't let her do something she would laugh in my face. If I tried to do it twice, I'd be picking my s*** off of her front yard.
Which reminds me...

Three men were sitting together bragging about how they had given their new wives duties. Terry had married a woman from Georgia, and bragged that he had told his wife she was going to do all the dishes and house cleaning that needed to be done at their house. He said that it took a couple days but on the third day he came home to a clean house and the dishes were all washed and put away.

Jimmie had married a woman from Texas. He bragged that he had given his wife orders that she was to do all the cleaning, dishes, and the cooking. He told them that the first day he didn't see any results, but the next day it was better. By the third day, his house was clean, the dishes were done, and he had a huge dinner on the table.

The third man had married New Yorker. He boasted that he told her that her duties were to keep the house cleaned, dishes washed, lawn mowed, laundry washed and hot meals on the table for every meal. He said the first day he didn't see anything, the second day he didn't see anything, but by the third day most of the swelling had gone down and he could see a little out of his left eye. Enough to fix himself a bite to eat, load the dishwasher, and call a landscaper.

Popeye
03-07-2008, 12:59 PM
wonder if health food could help cranky people

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
03-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Baked garlic in peanut sauce sounds pretty good, actually . .. Thai-style sauce like with satay? Mmmmmm.

I've got the makins - but it needs something else to be a meal - any ideas?

I sincerely hope Sheryl Robertson finds herself some other well-dressed man who really is a gentleman, unlike the turkey with the sign.

I don't really have enough information to call the "Well Dressed Man" (isn't that a song..) a turkey, its relatively easy to imagine a situation where he is doing the right thing.

Keith Wilson
03-07-2008, 02:42 PM
but it needs something else to be a meal - any ideas?How about a nice warm artichoke smoothie, with a little Dave's Insanity Sauce on the side? :D

John of Phoenix
03-07-2008, 02:44 PM
With anchovies!!

Keith Wilson
03-07-2008, 02:50 PM
No anchovies? You've got the wrong man; I spell my name DANGER! :D

Alexander2
03-07-2008, 02:58 PM
But to be honest, I never chased married women ........ They chased me

Thats good. Most folks think married people who date others are way out of line.
Glad you agree.