PDA

View Full Version : Does freezing damage paints and such

Dave Williams
01-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Chemist or others. Is paint (good oil based enamel and bottom paint harmed by colder temps. How cold? I have a paint locker in my shop with a small heat source that crapped out and the temps. got quite low before I realized it.

Also in the locker was quite a bit of 5200, Sikaflex, Duraglas, Dolphinite, and various other goo and glues. What about those.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Dave

JimConlin
01-04-2004, 05:03 PM
I've only seen 'keep from freezing' warnings on water-based paints.

Ron Williamson
01-05-2004, 05:34 AM
Oil,no problem.
Water clean up paint and glue is a different animal,though still alright down to about -5C.
R

Dave Williams
01-06-2004, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the replies Jim and Ron. Anyone else have thoughts on the goos and glues?

Here's to kindness,
Dave

Wild Wassa
01-06-2004, 05:41 PM
G'day, Coming from, a place that has extremes of temperatures, 40C+ (Friday's forcast is 42C) to -15C (-4 to -7 is common overnight), very rarely is it 20C during the day, I notice the materials I use change greatly in their characteristics with temperature changes.

One thing that I learnt when I was at tech college was, do not store chemicals on the floor. I keep most chemistry on the benches. When I'm lazy with this regime, I pay for it.

I've learnt to simplify my selection of materials, as much as I can. I think I've got a handle on what I use, as far as glues, bedding medium and paints go, and what happens to them with temperature changes. I find Dave, that with temperature changes of about 5-6C, from 20C, up or down, it feels like I've changed products. In summer (now) on many days it's too hot to paint, with polyurethane paint, because it skin too quickly, 5 to 8 seconds, sometimes even faster. I don't get a third swipe with the brush in Summer.

During winter my epoxies and polys are placed in water baths. The biggest problem with the epoxy and poly (BoatCraft Pacific's, BuildCote and AquaCote) I find in winter is that chemicals fall out of suspension when allowed to get cold. So I've learnt not to allow them to get cold, ... unless I forget.

One material that I had, which was BCP's high build epoxy UnderCote (their spelling) which I allowed to get cold, about as low as 2-4C in the paintery overnight, I could not reconstitute. I tried heating it up, I could not bring it back to life. I learnt a lot about epoxy that day. I also learnt that the manufacturer didn't know their own products, BCP manufacture their materials in the sub-tropics. Their advice to fix the problem was useless. I watched a few hundred dollars leave the shed that day.

Try to keep temperatures stable or at least avoid extremes with all media.

Warren.

[ 01-06-2004, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

HS
01-06-2004, 06:48 PM
I have about 4 litres of BCP's epoxy that has crystalised into one hard lump despite being stored under the relatively benign conditions here in Melbourne. Of late, whenever I need a small amount of epoxy I've just sat the bottle in a bucket of hot water until enough has liquefied.

This has left me with a lingering doubt that the liquid may not contain all the components that it should ie that perhaps the core of the mass may contain components that crystalise first and melt last. The stuff has always gone off OK, but I'm not sure if I would use it in a high strength application.

Is it neccessary to ensure that the entire mass is melted and mixed to end up with the original formulation?

Hans

[ 01-06-2004, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: HS ]

Dave Williams
01-06-2004, 07:14 PM
I will get back to this topic soon. No time now. I live on the very edge of the east slope of the Cascades. Temps? I have seen +105 F. to -30 F. Last night it was -18 F.

Later,
Dave

Wild Wassa
01-06-2004, 10:22 PM
G'day Hans, it has been a while since I've seen a post from you on the Forum. Happy New Year.

Do you notice with BCP's epoxy that it settles into distinctive layers, if allowed to sit. I try to mix the resin as thoroughly as possible, if I see any change in the transparency within the resin, from top to bottom. The hardener doesn't seem to change one iota.

BCP will just advise heating their resin. I think their epoxy has an opened shelf life, of only about 6 months, from what I've observed. I notice the cloudyness forming after about that amount of time once opened. Heating the resin, seems to fix this completely, until it's been allowed to sit again.

I would try to heat the resin so that the block, melted completely. I'd hate to miss out on any thing essential. What's essential? I don't know.

Warren.

HS
01-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Thanks Warren, I haven't noticed the separation 'cos after the first use the bottles are usually covered in so much crud!

Dave, sorry if I've hijacked your thread just a little.

Hans