PDA

View Full Version : Wanna Marry Me?

botebum
03-03-2008, 09:40 PM
How did you propose to/ get proposed to by your spouse?
Me?-
First time- Wrote a note on a dollar bill tip while she was waitressing that said "Wanna Do It? Marry Me?" I know those are the exact words cuz she just showed me the dollar bill.
Result- DENIED!
Second time- While fishing off a dock, I fell off the dock and into the ICW(IntraCoastal Waterway for you forenders;)). I was diving down looking for my fishing rod and came up with someone's lost crab pot and my pole. I raised both up over my head and standing chest deep in the ICW, barefoot on oystershells, said "I feel lucky! Wanna Marry Me?"
Result- DENIED!
Third time- I was taking out the garbage. I had a beer in one hand and a dripping bag of kitchen crap in the other. I raised both hands and dropped to a knee, "Will you please friggen Marry Me!?
Result- Taaa Daaa! She said "Uh Huh" Is that romance or what?
Shhhh- Dude....It's the knee...shhhhhh.

Doug

WX
03-03-2008, 09:42 PM
She proposed to me! :D
I said Yes.

Joe (SoCal)
03-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Don't wanna talk about it :(

botebum
03-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Don't wanna talk about it :(
So, then, tell us how Tabitha fell into your "old man is good trap":D

Doug

BTW-Joe, I know how ya feel about that one. Took me years to get over it and kids between ya make it harder.

Doug

Joe (SoCal)
03-03-2008, 09:55 PM
So, then, tell us how Tabitha fell into your "old man is good trap":D

Doug

BTW-Joe, I know how ya feel about that one. Took me years to get over it and kids between ya make it harder.

Doug

ONE YEAR AGO TODAY !!!!! :eek:
I went on a date with a cute 30something I met on Yahoo Personals .com ;)

We went to dinner, shared a lot of laughs and a bottle of wine and my life forever changed yet again ;)

Amazing how life works eh ;)

I'm a very fortunate man.

LeeG
03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
she was filling out a credit application,,"it says marital status, what should I put down?",,

I said "how about engaged?"

insane woman and insane sex. Good enough at the time. But I was mistaken.

The Bigfella
03-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Sheesh, so long ago. Been married 27 years now. I seem to recall something to do with her having been overseas for 4 months and when she got back we went to dinner and out it popped. We had been going out together for 6 or more years by then - having met at Uni.

botebum
03-03-2008, 10:06 PM
ONE YEAR AGO TODAY !!!!! :eek:
I went on a date with a cute 30something I met on Yahoo Personals .com ;)

We went to dinner, shared a lot of laughs and a bottle of wine and my life forever changed yet again ;)

Amazing how life works eh ;)

I'm a very fortunate man.
Yes you are. Your friends stood with you here when you were going through a hard time and you bounced back fairly quickly, due in part to your friends here and probably friends in Cold Spring. I, for one have stood by you the entire time(except for when it seems like a lot of fun to pick:D). So when Tabitha wises up...I'll be here for you then too(and if this marriage goes south I'll be there for Tabitha too;))

Doug

Lew Barrett
03-03-2008, 10:09 PM
She asked me, as a joke, during our first conversation. I chased her for a couple of months after that until she caught me. Best thing that ever happened to me.

skuthorp
03-03-2008, 10:19 PM
First one after I'd saved her ex from peritonitis by diagnosing it, driving a snowmobile through a blizzard with him lashed on the back and breaking into a car to get him to hospital Mum liked me, sister too, but it wasn't a good idea really.
Anne was a long time friend, amongst others, mum liked me. Asked her on the steps of a pub after a long lunch. It works, best thing I ever did though I think she got short changed really.

WX
03-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Unhappy Anniversary it's one year since we split
I walk and talk and get around, lie down, stand upand sit
I eat and drink and smoke and sleep, live a little bit
Unhappy Anniversary it's one year since we split

Unhappy Anniversary it's ten years since we met
There is no need to remind me, no way I could forget
We fell in love and we fell out,
Both times there was no net
Unhappy Anniversary it's ten years since we met

Unhappy Anniversary I can not count the days
And niights that I have thought of you
Since we went separate ways
I tell my mind to forget you but my heart disobeys
Unhappy Anniversary I can not count the days
(Repeat verse 1)

botebum
03-03-2008, 10:42 PM
I love you guys. I really do. But you gotta have better stories than these! How 'bout the times they said NO! Got any good stories there? Anybody do something really crazy that caught her? Anybody caught in a really surreal situation and asked her(maybe Chuck?) How about Chad, Phil, Kitty an' Poo(we all wanna know what's up there). How about some of the older guys that have been married forever- those are some of the best!
My Grandad asked my Grandma to marry him in the middle of a iceboat race(in the boat during he race). She said that if they won she'd marry him. Here I am!

Doug

Tabitha ( Gaff rig girl )
03-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Yes you are. Your friends stood with you here when you were going through a hard time and you bounced back fairly quickly, due in part to your friends here and probably friends in Cold Spring. I, for one have stood by you the entire time(except for when it seems like a lot of fun to pick:D). So when Tabitha wises up...I'll be here for you then too(and if this marriage goes south I'll be there for Tabitha too;))

Doug

Marriage is NOT in our vocabulary :eek::eek:

However...One year ago TODAY my soulmate walked into my life ;) I consider myself very lucky to have found such a great person, a real one of a kind guy. At first we set all these "rules"....you know, no feelings allowed, dating and children are totally separate, etc. But then WE BOTH WISED UP and I've never been happier.

So, why get married and ruin such a good thing?? LMAO

WE like things just the way they are :D

The Bigfella
03-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Well, we were in the middle of Sydney's red light area when I proposed. Not that she was a working girl.

Bob Adams
03-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Marriage is NOT in our vocabulary :eek::eek:

However...One year ago TODAY my soulmate walked into my life ;) I consider myself very lucky to have found such a great person, a real one of a kind guy. At first we set all these "rules"....you know, no feelings allowed, dating and children are totally separate, etc. But then WE BOTH WISED UP and I've never been happier.

So, why get married and ruin such a good thing?? LMAO

WE like things just the way they are :D

Yeah, marriage has messed up many a fine relationship. One of a kind guy? Really? Ya think?:D

Been married 26 years last week to a really forgiving gal. Celebrated by going Roller Skating for the first time in 20+ We met in a rink where I worked. Didn't break anything:rolleyes:

WX
03-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Actually tongue in cheek (now don't be rude) I meant to post the lyrics to this one:D

Loudon Wainwright Iii - I'd Rather Be Lonely lyrics

Every night I get the blues
Greens and yellows and chartreuses
You're still living here with me, I'd rather be lonely

All the thime I look around
For excuses to leave town
Everybody wants somebody but I'd rather be lonely

CHORUS:
Lonliness is happiness it takes less than two
I confess that I digress from ______ I'm with you

Let's us make a brand new start
Separate and stay apart
I've had enough having and holding
I'd rather be lonely

I think that I need some space
Every day you're in my face
How can I get rid of you, I'd rather be lonely

(Chorus)

One more verse, a few more words
Love is for the bees and birds
Not for a human being like me
I'd rather be lonely

brad9798
03-03-2008, 11:46 PM
On a pier on Lake Michigan in Chicago on February 14, 1992.

YEP! Valentine's day!

:(

Nanoose
03-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Third time- I was taking out the garbage. I had a beer in one hand and a dripping bag of kitchen crap in the other. I raised both hands and dropped to a knee, "Will you please friggen Marry Me!?

Doug

Oh ya. That's the irresistable one. :rolleyes:

What a picture :eek:

Battenkiller
03-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Had it all planned out. Take her out to a nice dinner on Sunday night, then sit in the car at the Thatcher Park lookout and pop the question over a bottle of Blue Nun (hey, that was all the rage back then) while we looked at all the city lights.

Well, Sunday we had a blizzard to beat the band, so we went out on Monday instead. Back then most of the nice restaurants used to be closed on Monday nights (which I didn't know because I never went to them) so I had to take her to a pub for a burger - which was just horrendously bad.

Made my way up to Thatcher Park and the wind was howling and snow was blowing so bad you couldn't see your nose never mind the city lights.

By this time I'd basically lost my nerve, so I did the next best thing. I started to talk about moving away (something about finding a certain Yaqui Indian sorcerer or something) and I could see that she was visibly shaken by this revelation, which served to embolden me.

We sat in silence for quite a while, and then I heard a voice (it was mine) say, "Did you ever think that you might want to get married?" She looked at me kind of sideways and asked, "Is that some kind of a proposal?" to which I responded, "Is that some kind of an acceptance?"

She nodded her head up and down real fast, and I said, "Well, that was easier than I thought it'd be. Let's go home and drink this wine and then **** to seal the deal." Not very romantic of me, but we were young and in lust and she was all over the idea so that's what we did.:cool:

David G
03-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Met my sweetie when I was 25, she was 19. The day we met, she moved in. That's misleading... it was a shared household in a college town. She decided, in very short order, that I was the one. It took 10 very fiery, tumultuous years of living together/apart/together/apart/together before we decided to have kids. The decision about children led to a discussion about marriage. Neither of us felt strongly about it at the time, but allowed as how it might be appropriate. I was certainly under the impression that it wouldn't make any fundamental difference to the relationship. In fact it did make a profound difference, and - 23 years after tying the knot - I'm very glad we did.

Michael Beckman
03-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Luckily no proposals quite yet. As for asking girls out.. the first one just sort of happened. Met on a summer sailing trip, started hanging out, and like 4 months later we were going out.

2nd one happened via MSN messenger. And died the same way 2 weeks later. Face to face or nothing for me now.

Spin_Drift
03-04-2008, 03:28 AM
We had known each other as friends for several years and started dating about three weeks prior to the proposal.

It was about 02:30 on a Saturday night at KBBI AM 890. I was broadcasting my radio show. This tune by Allman Brothers was playing on the air. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75km7FZvQAg

In what seemed to me like a spur of the moment, David dropped on his knee and asked me to marry him.

I was head over heels in love with him, yet taken aback. I told him "If everything goes as well as it has so far, then...maybe"

It did... and here we are many, many years later...:):Dstill happy.

Robmill0605
03-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Every time I dated someone new, I felt like I was filling out a job application. I was lonely, but not desperate. A Friend told me to try going online. I was hesitant, but better than throwing a dart in a bar.....
Anyway, I met and starting talking to this woman in Wisconsin, about 1500 miles away. She is a chef and I like to cook, talked for several months on the phone, the computer.etc.
One day I said I'll fly you down to Florida for the weekend. You can stay in my quest room, control your own plane tickect, no strings.
We hit it off right away, back and forth , me fly to Ws, etc.
After about a year, I flew her to florida again and arranged a chef's table at a French Bistro here in a historic district. Very nice place, I had them set up a table in the wine cellar and the chef and waitrer were in on it.
After dinner and another bottle of wine , ( to get my courage up I'd been single again for 25 yrs)I told her that I couldn't imagine spending the rest of my life without her, and I asked her to marry me.
Got er'........
The whole staff came in and appaulded. It was really great.
Then I had to go all the way to the frozen tundra to collect her.
I'm a lot heavier now......

MiddleAgesMan
03-04-2008, 07:55 AM
My first ex-wife and I were in different universities a couple hundred miles apart. We tried to get together several times a month and on one of my visits home she blurted out "I want to get married."

Since I had made no claims of exclusivity and since she still talked occasionally about some older dude who had been courting her from long before my time my first thought was, She's gona pull the plug on this relationship and settle down with the older dude. So the first words out of my mouth were, "To whom?"

"Well, YOU, of course!"

We hashed things out over a long weekend but I was reluctant and finally left her with a non-answer along the lines of "Well I don't think so but I'll think about it." Once I was back in my routine and had some time to compare her with the flighty young things at my school I began to come around. I was mature beyond my years and the immature females I encountered at every turn held no attraction. After a few days I called her up and said, "Let's do it."

S.V. Airlie
03-04-2008, 10:28 AM
" Wanna marry my boat.."
DENIED!
Too old!

Mrleft8
03-04-2008, 10:32 AM
If I remember it correctly, it had something to do with a bottle of Jim Beam, a shotgun, and finding out that her father's a judge the hard way.....

Canoez
03-04-2008, 10:48 AM
We were in a jewelry/fine arts store and she was looking over rings and said, "You know what I'd really like?"

boylesboats
03-04-2008, 10:53 AM
A long story on my part.. After been dumped twice... I vowed not to re-marry, but it didn't hold out, ended up gettin' married to third woman..

S.V. Airlie
03-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Lots of threads recently on marriages etc. Shane's problems which many of us have responded to with support, good wishes etc.
I am beginning to think that the number of divorced folks on the forum exceeds the national average ( US ) which is somewhere around 50%. Guesstamet!!!
I've never gone down the isle in this manner and I hate to say it in some ways, but looking at the comments here, I'm kinda glad I avoided it.
Does this apparent ( to me ) number of divorced ( once, twice, three times ) formites have anything to do with owning, drooling over, building wooden boats?

boylesboats
03-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Lots of threads recently on marriages etc. Shane's problems which many of us have responded to with support, good wishes etc.
I am beginning to think that the number of divorced folks on the forum exceeds the national average ( US ) which is somewhere around 50%. Guesstamet!!!
I've never gone down the isle in this manner and I hate to say it in some ways, but looking at the comments here, I'm kinda glad I avoided it.
Does this apparent ( to me ) number of divorced ( once, twice, three times ) formites have anything to do with owning, drooling over, building wooden boats?

Yeah, I thought about that myself after second crashed marriage... But, can't have both.. Either live with them or live without them... I found myself can't live without them.. I went about six years, living alone, and man it ain't easy for me...

Katherine
03-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Not married, never been asked, not likely too either.:rolleyes:

boylesboats
03-04-2008, 12:11 PM

In some state(s)... recognize common-law marriage...:eek:

Missouri don't, Kansas do..

CharlieCobra
03-04-2008, 01:26 PM
The first one asked me, I was young, horny and said yes. Other than the five great kids, it was a 17 year mistake. My kids and I lived with the current and last one and her three kids for ten years before she proposed to me in a nice suite, with a nice ring on our 10th anniversary (of meeting). Got married the next year with the Ex as the Matron of Honor (yes, we're all friends). Been fine since.

rbgarr
03-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Lying in bed thirty three years ago, she asks me 'What are you thinking about?"

I say "I'm thinking about asking you to marry me...."

Long contemplative silence.

A week later I ask "So... what do you think?"

"Yes."

skuthorp
03-04-2008, 03:37 PM
"I am beginning to think that the number of divorced folks on the forum exceeds the national average ( US ) which is somewhere around 50%"

It's the boats, all that scraping and painting and mumbling about rot. And it's about lust, for that wooden schooner, or 1953 Chris Craft ar a 30's Gentlemans racer, but never about her, she's not the one that get's the sideways look or makes you do a U turn on the highway - 'I just want to take a look dear'. And it's some georgeous yacht in a magazine that makes you rumble back in you throat, not her in a new dress - 'That's nice dear' and back to the back issue of WB to salivate over some classic restoration.
Am I right or am I right?

Canoez
03-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Perhaps you are right, Sku, but I know that she'd rather I was looking at curves on a boat than another woman. :p

skuthorp
03-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Just letting you look at another woman might be cheaper?

rbgarr
03-04-2008, 03:43 PM
My wife is almost as interested in boats as I am.

Canoez
03-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Just letting you look at another woman might be cheaper?

Yeah, that's true. :D

I try my best to pay attention to her as well (and the kids!)

SWMBO has little to no interest in small boats, and is a bit terrified to go in the canoes (or to let the kids go). She finally relented about two years ago and let my (then) 6 YO daughter in a canoe w/me. My 5 YO son needs to be a better swimmer first. The (now) 8 YO daughter really wants her own boat... This is going to be trouble.

THAT would be the one item to put me in Jaime's >50% set.

skuthorp
03-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Anne doesn't swim and has expressed no interest in my boats till last month when she asked me to build a lightweight kayak for her because I seem to get so much enjoyment from just being on the water she thought she should try it. I nearly fell over, the kayak is under way.

Spin_Drift
03-04-2008, 04:48 PM
What a nice thread to enjoy... :)

Hughman
03-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Well, one night I cleaned my best pelt, waxed my club, and loped down the mountainside towards the mud huts. Women of all ages ran screaming off into the night. I caught one with red hair, which I used as a handle to drag her back into my cave, kicking the wolves out as I went.

Life hasn't been the same since.

hokiefan
03-04-2008, 04:59 PM
My wife is almost as interested in boats as I am.

And that would make you a very lucky man.

Cheers,

Bobby

skuthorp
03-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Cleaned your pelt? Nah, you wanna start like you intend to carry on, no point in getting her expectations up. BTW, that club, what wood?

Canoez
03-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Anne doesn't swim and has expressed no interest in my boats till last month when she asked me to build a lightweight kayak for her because I seem to get so much enjoyment from just being on the water she thought she should try it. I nearly fell over, the kayak is under way.

Gee, when my wife asks me for a boat, she's going to get another chance to get married because I'm gonna drop dead!

Katherine
03-04-2008, 08:01 PM
In some state(s)... recognize common-law marriage...:eek:

Missouri don't, Kansas do..Michigan doesn't have common law marriage . . . and I already have a boat.

Spin_Drift
03-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Gee, when my wife asks me for a boat, she's going to get another chance to get married because I'm gonna drop dead!

OMG :eek: that's funny... :D:D:D

Katherine
03-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Viking funeral? :D

Canoez
03-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Viking funeral? :D

In her opinion, probably the best use for my canoes!

Pernicious Atavist
03-04-2008, 08:20 PM
We lived together before I went into basic training. After I was there a few weeks, I realized I couldn't live like that.
A light came on.
I made a list of pros and cons about marrying her. (Honest to god I did.) The pros out numbered the cons.
I called, told her how miserable I was living without her, how I realized how much life with her would be so much better, etc.
She said 'yes.'
Career lasted almost 21 years, marriage, almost 22!

I know...last of the all-time romantics....

paladin
03-04-2008, 08:32 PM
I was in the harbor at Reykjavik, sitting on a inverted bucket with a sketchpad, drawing boats.....this absolutely stunningly beautiful lady walks by, nearly half my age and starts looking over my shoulder at the drawings.....she spoke to me in fair Icelandic.....I responded in kind.....
Over the next few days she came by a few times to see what I was drawing, so I finally asked her for coffee, then to lunch. Her reason for walking that particular path was because it was near the Russian Embassy.....we eventually ended up at an apartment that I kept in Reykjavik.......and where one day she discovered that I was American. Then one day she disappeared....for a few months I never knew what happened.....then I ran into a friend of hers, Natasha, who told me she had been sent home because they thought I was a spy since I worked at the NATO base....I went looking for her....found her in Odessa....and a week later we were at the boat at the yacht club where I asked her to marry me....and we were together until she passed away.....22 years.

MiddleAgesMan
03-04-2008, 08:38 PM
That sounds just like the regular fantasies I had when I was posted to Iceland, Paladin. Those Icelandic lasses were perfect angels, weren't they? Independent angels, free-spirited angels, but angels nonetheless. :)

bamamick
03-04-2008, 08:39 PM
I was dating three different women at the same time. Living the life of Reilly as a batchelor. One evening at the yacht club some guys turned over a Flying Scot and a friend of mine and I put the yacht club Whaler in the water and went and got them safely back to shore.

When we got into the club everyone was making a big deal out of us, buying us drinks and such. I was coming down the stairs on the way to the bathroom and she spoke to me, for the first time that I can remember. We worked at the same company, though she was an accountant and I was an apprentice boilermaker and we never spoke. Five years older than I am, three degrees. I was just a boat bum, and I couldn't imagine that she'd be interested. Well, we talked and talked sitting on the steps outside the club, just the two of us. I haven't touched another woman since in 26 years. I knew that she was the one that first night. The next day I told my best friend 'I am going to marry her'. He just laughed at the thought.

One night we were laying on the couch watching a movie. We had been dating for a couple of months, and I just said 'so, I guess that we should get married?'. She said 'o.k.' and just snuggled in tighter. That's the story. We have been together ever since.

I do believe that there are some people that are perfect for each other. I am not saying that we haven't had problems. For awhile there after our third baby was born (and we lost another baby) I was almost sure that we couldn't stay together, but we reached down inside and decided that staying together was more important than anything else that we could do alone.

I love the woman more than I can tell you.

Mickey Lake

Battenkiller
03-04-2008, 08:42 PM

I'll be joining you. ;)

Ever since my wife saw Nick Shade's little pack canoe Nymph at the WoodenBoat Show she hasn't shut up. As soon as the issue containing the first build article came out, she announced that we were going to make one. We, as in she and I together. :eek:

Lady BK has never shown the slightest interest in woodworking except to complain about the dust and to steal my best turned bowls for her office. Now, she's actually drafted and cut out all the station molds and has almost finished the strongback. Hopefully she'll still be on board with the project when it's time to glass it. :rolleyes:

paladin
03-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Middleagesman....yeah...the Icelandic wimmins were really nice...but Irina was Ukraine...and I betcha there's more beautifull wimmins in Ukraine than in Iceland. Her cousin lives in Kerch, teaches Piano, and her husband was lost at sea. She's about 3 years older than Irina was, and the family thinks (so they tell me) that Inna would make a Fantastic wife....which I hear 3-4 times a year.....and she makes marilyn Monroe look like a paper plate from last years picnic.

David Tabor (sailordave)
03-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Met in 3rd grade. Our class picture has me standing behind her, she in her Brownie uniform w/ red tennis shoes. Midway through the year her parents put her in Catholic school b/c our teacher was an idiot. 5th and 6th grade I went to the new school the next town up; our property line was the dividing line.
7th grade (HS was 7-12 then) we were back together and went all through school together. She signed my 10th grade yearbook while in the back of the car I was driving for driver's ed.
My junior year I dated her next door neighbor.
In college I'd stop and say HI occasionally or she'd see me playing soccer w/ her brother.
About a year or so after college I was home and driving down her street and saw her and her neighbor (old gf) talking. So I wheeled around and parked and talked w/ her for a while. Next day before I went back to VA I stopped and asked for her address at her apt. We started writing.

A few months later I moved back to MD. Went to a Xmas party at her apt. Hung out w/ the OLD GF! A week later I stopped by her parents house b/c I saw her car there and said hey why don't you and (next door neighbor) and me go in to this club in town.

Well, I dropped the neighbor off first that night, dropped future XW off and she invited me in. That was it. Two nights later we had our first real date; I got home at 4am, looked in the mirror and said YOU ARE SOOOO in trouble, she's the one.

So (I'm getting there, alright already!) we real quick figured out this was serious, being 23 and knowing it all and everything... 6 months later we were watching ROMANCING THE STONE. Remember in the end when Michael Douglas pulls up outside Kathleen Turner's NYC office w/ a huge freaking sailboat on a semi trailer?
So about a week later we were out walking; it was unseasonably cool for mid June. We're both a bit chilly and we're walking by the old HS. I stopped and sat down on the grass w/ her.
Said, you remember when we were watching Rom. the Stone?
Yeah.
Remember at the end when he pulls up w/ the boat?
Yeah.
Well, I figure I can have my sailboat all restored by November if I really work at it, course it all depends.....
On what?
If you'll marry me.

YES!:cool:

Such a romantic fellow...:rolleyes:

Now don'tcha think THAT should have clued her in that I was just a LITTLE freaking nuts about boats?

She told me later she really wanted to get moving and get back home instead of sitting on the grass b/c she was cold and had to PEE!

Oh, the old gf from h.s. that lived next door? She was the maid of honor!

Lasted 20 years, two kids. Still say it would have lasted if she hadn't wigged out after losing both parents and almost losing her brother all to cancer in 3.5 years.

SIGH.

Now there is a RED Head I have fun with. We have no time table. Too many other things come w/ us. So we don't worry about it. We'll see.
I kinda like being single. For now.

Rational Root
03-05-2008, 04:20 AM
On the spur of the moment at lunch in a pub/restaurant in the middle of the english countryside...

"So will you Marry Me"

- "Stop Messing"

"No really, WILL YOU MARRY ME"

- "Yes"

When I woke up the next day, and I was not trying to figure out how to get out of it, I knew it was a good thing.:)

Miami Mike
03-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Well, as I never seem to have anything to add besides congratulations on the non-bilge areas of the forum, I might as well contribute a story here.

About 5 years ago, after 14 years of living together, I decided to ask my “girlfriend” to marry me. My Mom nearly dropped over in glee and told me she would give me my great aunt’s engagement ring to do the deed with. My plan was to ask her to marry me on an upcoming long weekend trip to Paris for New Years Eve. I thought - New Years Eve, Eiffel Tower, Paris…hard to get more romantic than that.

Well, long story short my Mom couldn’t find the ring and off we flew to Paris without it. My “hopefully-soon-to-be-fiancé” loved all things romantic and the idea of asking her to marry me without a ring was out of the question.

Sure enough as soon as I got home my Mom had found the ring and I was back to making a plan.

I wanted it to be a surprise so I immediately hid the little pink ring box with it's little pink bow (the box a gift from the jewler who cleaned the ring) in the center console of my truck. Probably the last place on earth my wife would look. I drove around for about a month or so trying to come up with another romantic plan. I decided that we’d fly over to the Bahamas for a long weekend and I’d ask her there. I know it’s not Paris but it would still be romantic….crystal white beach, clear blue waters; I could picture it in my mind.

So I surfed around on the web and was shocked to find an incredible promotional deal. Flights from Ft. Lauderdale to Grand Bahama Island, two nights’ hotel plus $25.00 match play at the casino for $99.00 each! I booked the tickets and called my significant other to tell her what a great deal I found. As I hung up the phone I realized I couldn’t ask her to marry me now. I mean, I’d be known forever as having asked her on a cheapie trip to the Bahamas at an aging resort that was a bargain because it was going through renovations….I just couldn’t do it!

After we got back, another month or two passed with the ring box safely nestled in the console of my truck. I was itching to ask and get them out of there and get the thing over with. I decided I’d bring her back to the scene of our first date. It was at a little dive bar in Little Haiti here in Miami called Churchill’s Hideaway. Somewhat romantic, I mean it’s not the lights of Paris, it’s not the gin clear waters of the Bahamas… but it was the scene of our first date and therefore somewhat romantic (or so I told myself).

We were walking out of the house and my intended said “Let’s take my car”. I’m sure I replied something along the lines of “whatever your little heart desires” and hopped in her car. It wasn’t until we were about half way there that my slow witted mind realized the ring was in my truck. A fun night was had but rest assured there was no proposal.

After the unintended dry run at Churchill's Hideaway I decided it was a little dive-ier than I remembered and it probably wasn't that great an idea anyway and her birthday was in August and that wasn't too far away now and I'm sure I could think of something better.

Another month or so passed and I was out with a work friend having a few beers and just plain living it up. On the way home we decided to stop off at a strip bar that was a couple of miles away from my house. As we got out of the truck to go inside I threw my cell phone on the dash. I mean, how can you get a lap dance with a cell phone sticking out of your pocket…right?

After a couple of hours (or maybe three, lol) we left the strip bar and headed our separate ways. When I got into the truck to head home I could see by my blinking cell that I had missed a call. When I looked at the screen it showed I had missed 8 calls, all from my hopefully soon to be wife! As I pulled out of the lot and raced toward my house I called her to find out what had happened.

When she answered the phone she started crying and said “where are you?” I told her I’m on way home and I should be there any second. I asked her what was the matter and she said nothing, that she was worried because I was late and I didn’t answer my phone. I said, “but why are you crying?” and she said “Because, I love you!”

I was immediately overcome with emotion. I loved her and all this screwing around with the ring seemed silly. I said, “Where are you?” and she said “I’m standing in the front yard waiting for you.”. I said, “Don’t move.”

And that, my friends, is the story of how I wound up asking my wife to marry me at three in the morning under the basketball rim in our driveway after a night out at a strip bar.

I mean, what could be more romantic than that?

John of Phoenix
03-05-2008, 01:11 PM
I was immediately overcome with emotion. I loved her and all this screwing around with the ring seemed silly. I said, “Where are you?” and she said “I’m standing in the front yard waiting for you.”. I said, “Don’t move.”
I can see Meg Ryan playing her part, but you Mike... I'm not sure who could play such a dirty rat. :)

Great story.

John Turpin
03-05-2008, 01:19 PM
I proposed to her on the front porch of her parent's home. She was wearning a white cotton dress and her auburn hair was glowing in the moonlight. The whole time, I could hear the family's German Shephard--on the other side of the wall--growling menacingly at the sound of my voice. Or, maybe it was her father growling. It didn't matter, they shared the same opinion of me and their threat to me was pretty much interchangeable.

That was about 30 years ago. The dog is gone and her Dad likes me now. And, she gave that long auburn hair to son #1.

skuthorp
03-05-2008, 02:56 PM
;):D

Miami Mike
03-06-2008, 07:06 AM
John,

You don't know how accurate that is!

:)

M

Joe (SoCal)
03-06-2008, 07:26 AM
Miami Mike that was a GREAT story, thanks.

Miami Mike
03-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks Joe,

I have to admit I've told that story a time or two after a couple of beers much to my wife's smirking chagrin.

My Favorite story was LeeG's in post #6. Particuraly this line:

insane woman and insane sex. Good enough at the time. But I was mistaken.

Now that's funny.

As a side note, here's a picture of Churchill's:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2194/2314213903_374474fb2c_m.jpg

Here's what Frommers has to say about it:

"Filthy and located in a rather unsavory neighborhood, Churchill's is committed to promoting and extending the lifeline of the lagging local music scene. A fun no-frills crowd hangs out here."

"Filthy and Unsavory"...that helps to explain why it wasn't quite as romantic as I thought. All though I must admit "fun no frills crowd" does describe me fairly well.

Something must be right about it though, that first date was 20 years ago.

Mike

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-02-2009, 10:57 AM

Oooooh look at this hunny from the archives :D:D:D

Lew Barrett
07-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Good one, Peter!

bobbys
07-02-2009, 04:38 PM
I cant remember and im not brave enough to go ask the sea hag either..

Ok im joking about the sea hag part

Big Woody
07-02-2009, 07:47 PM
After I got the ring in from the jewelers I had a romantic setting planned, at my place in my hammock out under the stars, but then I couldn't wait and just blurted it out in my parent's basement. She thought I was just kidding. Then she made me do it over again down on one knee. She didn't really say "yes" she just complained that it wasn't romantic enough and that she needed to call everybody right away and tell them we were engaged.

Someday I'll have to make up a better story since it wasn't that romantic.

Robbie 2
07-03-2009, 05:02 AM
Long story..may tell one day but SWMBO would probably not like me too.
Anyway its been 21 yrs just last week and wonderful they have been.
Two wonderful sons make up our family.
No regrets ever and long may we continue.