PDA

View Full Version : Independent radio

bamamick
02-24-2008, 08:08 AM
I was just watching some Brandi Carlile videos on Youtube and thinking about a movie I saw the other day on ifilm about how corporate radio has taken over America. Do you have a good independent radio station in your town? We do. We are blessed to have WZEW 92.1 in Mobile and they are outstanding. If it weren't for the ZEW we would never get to hear people like Brandi or Jack Johnson or any number of people. Besides that, they bring these same people in for concerts all of the time, quite often at no charge to the people at the shows.

I love it. I was told by a Star sailor from Stamford,CT that our station was the best he had ever heard. High praise from someone who lives in a media center. We are lucky. Are you?

Mickey Lake

MiddleAgesMan
02-24-2008, 08:48 AM
We have two independents that I'm aware of, an FM station that plays old classic rock and an AM talk station where you can hear local Right wing-nuts do their sad imitations of Rush and O'Reilly.

So, no, we are not lucky.

Bob Adams
02-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Baltimore has one FM Classic Rock independant, several AM talk and gospel. Sad. I was in radio in the 70's, it was much fun (if little money) then. I don't know if I'd want to do it now.

StevenBauer
02-24-2008, 09:37 AM
We have some good radio here. The University station is great. Community radio at it's best. My son works with Blunt a national award winning youth radio program. One story about a formerly homeless teen's experiences that he produced and recorded was picked up and played nationally on other public radio stations.
And my 12 year old has hosted a radio show by and for tweenagers for the last year. Her show is called "The Tweenlight Zone". If you have any middle schoolers they could listen in on Saturday mornings at 9 Eastern time. :)

www.wmpg.org

We're fortunate in Maine to also have Maine Public Radio, a statewide network. They have a good mix of music and news, from classical to contemporary. One favorite show is "In Tune By Ten" which starts in twenty minutes, listen here: www.mpbn.net

bamamick
02-24-2008, 09:42 AM
I like the way that you do public radio in Maine, with one central network and lots of local stuff intermixed (iirc). I also like WERU and listen to it at work on the computer from time to time.

Mickey Lake

StevenBauer
02-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Do you know about WFUV, Mickey? From Fordham University in NYC. They stream, too, and and have amazing guests and really good DJs and are commercial free, always a plus. :)

www.wfuv.org

Lew Barrett
02-24-2008, 10:48 AM
What's equally as pathetic as the corporate ownership of media in the country, which would have been at least understandable if they'd been successful at it, is how dismally they've failed in every respect. Not only have the corporate mainstay failed to keep radio healthy and vital,
they aren't even successful at making money with their monopoly.
NPR and their affiliates are the last remaining bastion of interesting, varied radio broadcasting in the country, and even they are in big trouble.
What a mockery and shame, and distortion of the FCC's role this is.
Another political football and canard that hastened radio's downfall made possible by regulation changes brought to us by you-know-who.

john l
02-24-2008, 10:51 AM
wamc - north east public radio covers west mass, lower vt, nycapital region south to about the bearmountain bridge. sunday nights are great. starting with fiona richie and her celtic show around 630, going to afro beats, mary mcpartland -piano jazz, billstreet caravan from memphis, and hearts of space form 11-12. i always look forward to sunday nites.
many of these programs are nationally syndicated and aired by local npr stations

the other i listen to is wvkr - vassar college radio - mostly fantastic programing but a few time slots aren't, but more plus than minus. they also air democracy now 8-9am and 5-6pm.

both are available via the internet.

Paul Girouard
02-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Another political football and canard that hastened radio's downfall made possible by regulation changes brought to us by you-know-who.

Lets see Congress / the Senate who wrote , re -wrote , lobbied , re-wrote , etc then ratified voted upon and set up the chain for a up or down vote by you- know -who.

Very non partisan of you Lew :rolleyes: :D

Oh well lame ducks are easy to blame without looking for other player in the bigger picture.

But maybe you- know -who did this by executive order? Maybe ?? :confused:

Lew Barrett
02-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Lets see Congress / the Senate who wrote , re -wrote , lobbied , re-wrote , etc then ratified voted upon and set up the chain for a up or down vote by you- know -who.

Very non partisan of you Lew :rolleyes: :D

Oh well lame ducks are easy to blame without looking for other player in the bigger picture.

But maybe you- know -who did this by executive order? Maybe ?? :confused:

The FCC was pressured. Inside the business everybody knows it. Do a little googling on "Clear Channel." Guess where their headquarters are, Paul?

Paul Girouard
02-24-2008, 12:07 PM
The FCC was pressured. Inside the business everybody knows it. Do a little googling on "Clear Channel." Guess where their headquarters are, Paul?

Texas, or Washington I'd guess from your "tone".

I don't know , folks sure give the shrub a lot of "credit" on one hand , while on the other say he's a dumb arse:confused: I just don't think it / he can be both.

Radio should be a private enterprise / business , how they run thier business inside of the bigger perimeters would seem to have something to do with thier success. Maybe it's over regulated , then it will die and / or be reformatted. Like any industry.

Lew Barrett
02-24-2008, 12:12 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/2004-03-23-clear_x.htm

San Antonio. Follow the money. Shrub may not be the sharpest tack in the box, but he is among the greediest and most subversive presidents ever in respect to our nation's interests. Is there anything more dangerous than bull headed, hubris intensive and greedy? If you google, remember that you'll have to wade through three pages of CC's own propaganda first. They own a big chunk of everything, including the ability to buy up search engine bandwidth....and to post Wikipedia articles. They are anything but stupid, even if they do manage to kill off radio as we knew it.

Not a defense of Howard Stern. I consider him as annoying and uninformative as Rush....if at least a bit more entertaining.

Memphis Mike
02-24-2008, 12:23 PM
In Memphis they dropped NPR and replaced it with Jesus radio. Can you believe that?! I tried to tune in NPR awhile back and there was some Babtist preacher instructing women how they should be dressing. I can get NPR on another station for three hours in the morning and that's it.

We have one decent independant station and a couple of classic rock stations but all the rest is consumed with right wing political hacks, sports and Jesus.

Lew Barrett
02-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Clear Channel's owners are interesting MM. Check them out. But take one aspirin first. You don't need high blood pressure anymore than I do.

Memphis Mike
02-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Clear Channel's owners are interesting MM. Check them out. But take one aspirin first. You don't need high blood pressure anymore than I do.

Is it this bunch? They look like a group of friggin televangelists and they own the stations in Memphis that all of the garbage is coming out of.

http://www.clearchannel.com/LocalSpirit/PressRelease.aspx?PressReleaseID=1772

Lew Barrett
02-24-2008, 01:14 PM
That's them! Nice how they name themselves giants of broadcasting on their own website, eh? Who do you suppose sponsors the awards?

And look how they cherish each individual community with their mission statement, promoting diversity. Yeah! The diversity of the strip mall.

Clear Channel knows that the communities we serve are as diverse as the people in them. The unique flavor of each city and town on the map is the essence of its local spirit, as defined by the people who live, work, and raise families in those communities—and give of themselves in so many ways to help their neighbors

What a crock! They are the very essence of uniformity and formulaic broadcasting, with a complete package in each city of a Country station, a rock station, an easy listening station ad nauseum.

Cronyism at it's very most refined. The ruination of independent and healthful diversity in the marketplace. Paul, who in fact is responsible for the recent changes in FCC regulations? I'm serious about this. A little wool that got pulled over our eyes while nobody was looking.

Greg P H
02-24-2008, 01:26 PM
This is a good alternative, but unless you live near one of the major cities, you'll probably need to listen online.

WPFW in DC has a Jazz format.
http://www.pacifica.org/

Hughman
02-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Sheeple do what their TV's, radios, Internet news rip tells them. Like how to vote. And what to buy.

Having corporate control of information is important to control the people.

Napoleon knew this, and Mao, Adolph, and Ol' Joe, etc.etc.

Why is this a surprise?

David G
02-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Sometimes I forget how lucky we are in Oregon. Portland has a number of independent radio stations. My two favorites are KMHD & KBOO. Mt. Hood Community College runs KMHD - with its all-jazz format. I especially enjoy the several Blues shows which start Friday at 4pm & run thru till Saturday morning. KBOO is community owned, and an interesting combination of old-left, new-punk, and olldball alternative. Intelligent talk shows (usually). Music you won't find anywhere else. Volunteer dj's program their own shows. Very early/obscure rock. Country Swing. Electronica. About a 14 hr Grateful Dead show every Saturday (OK, I'm not a Dead fan... maybe it just seems like 14 hours). Celtic. One of my buddies hosts an early morning Folk Expresso show. And much more. All in all - a marvelous mishmash.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music" -- Aldous Huxley

rbgarr
02-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Internet radio has been one of the best things about the technology.

willmarsh3
02-24-2008, 07:55 PM
We have a good local NPR station in Huntsville known as WLRH. I contribute to it during the spring and fall pledge drives because I want to keep it around. On the road I listen to it or other NPR stations almost exclusively. Or I get a book on tape from Cracker Barrel. There's also a good local jazz station run from Alabama A&M. There are a couple of independent stations in the DC area that I listen to online: WRYR and WRNR. I also like to listen to stations in other countries online.
I find most of the local commercial broadcast stations completely repetitive, boring, and uninformative.

Lew Barrett
02-24-2008, 08:13 PM
I find most of the local commercial broadcast stations completely repetitive, boring, and uninformative.

Clear Channel:D

paladin
02-24-2008, 09:48 PM
well....I have a complete LPRS complete with turntables, tape decks editing tools etc....spare rf deck, power supplies and a 100 foot radio tower....where ya gonna put it.....gotta git yure own license, I'm keeping mine....I have a LPTV setup also, was working when I took it down.

willmarsh3
02-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Clear Channel:D

LOL. Also Infinity. :D:D

WRYR was one of the earliest low power FM stations put on the air. Now it appears that more organizations are putting them up. This is a good thing, IMHO.

http://www.mediaaccess.org/programs/lpfm/

I recall the battles between the giant corporations to try to squelch these. They claimed undue interference.

http://archive.salon.com/news/feature/2000/04/11/radio/index.html

Bob Adams
02-24-2008, 10:44 PM
well....I have a complete LPRS complete with turntables, tape decks editing tools etc....spare rf deck, power supplies and a 100 foot radio tower....where ya gonna put it.....gotta git yure own license, I'm keeping mine....I have a LPTV setup also, was working when I took it down.

Well, I've got my my DJ music collection and live reasonable close. Also may be needing a new job shortly. We ought to get together!

Lew Barrett
02-24-2008, 10:55 PM
LOL. Also Infinity. :D:D

I recall the battles between the giant corporations to try to squelch these. They claimed undue interference.

Wouldn't they though. Somebody trying to horn in on their monopoly. Tsk. Tsk.

Memphis Mike
02-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah, it's pretty bad. Ya got your preachers and your hate radio jocks on AM and the same repititive crap on FM. You would think that a musically inclined city like Memphis wouldn't put up with it.

This is the home of the Blues and we only have two broadcasts per week on WEVL {independant} dedicated to the Blues.

skuthorp
02-25-2008, 01:13 AM
We do pretty well, apart from commercial radio which is as bad here as anywhere else, there are 105 local stations of mixed christian, school based and regional city based commercial content. The Aust Broadcasting Service is a nationally funded non-commercial independent network Aussie wide. In my state they have 7 regional stations on AM/FM bands, 2 networks on AM, 3 on FM.
In Melbourne we also have 3CR - distinctly left but with music programs from Indian to brass band to blues to avant garde classic. Listen on-line
http://www.abc.net.au/radio/listenlive.htm
3MBS, 'classic music', and 3RRR, new rock and popular music, based in a University.
The ABC is also the National Emergency Network, with a formal set up to deal with bushfires, cyclones, floods etc as a co-ordinating and information transmitter Australia-wide.

seanz
02-25-2008, 04:19 AM
:( I miss Melbourne radio.
I wish I had broadband so I could listen to the stations that get recommended here.

I shall now cease wishing and whinging.
:D

Local radio is OK here but nothing to boast about.......a Uni station, a community station, govt radio, a classical FM and that's about it. (more than enough now that I've written a list :rolleyes:) One standout is Radio Hauraki which I think started out as a 'pirate' station, it plays 'classic rock ...but you know......the good stuff. :D

Lew
Do you ever listen to Solid Gold Soul? KRIZ? (i think), we were sent a 2 hour tape 7 or 8 years ago and played it a lot....good music and a DJ with a lisp......tholid gold thoul.
:)

Scott Sawtelle
02-25-2008, 09:23 PM
I remember when there were no stations on the FM dial. So I guess we are lucky here in the Boston area. I get the Boston public radio station, N.H. public radio and more college stations than I can count. Emerson College has bands come in, as does "The River". The independent and semi indepentent commercial stations are struggling financially and are going to an automated format with no DJs.

Lots of Mexican/Central/South American music on AM, but no Samba. :( On FM jazz, blues, folk, classical, rock, oldies, top 40 are all easy to find. I'm listening to the Goth show on MIT radio now. There is an Isreali music show on Sunday morning and Armenian music on the U Mass Lowell station.

Yes, compared to much of the rest of the country we're a little spoiled, but it's still not like it was in the past.