PDA

View Full Version : What the hell are you smoking?

Paul Pless
02-23-2008, 03:18 PM
I gots a small whole turkey slowly smoking over apple and pecan woods right now.:D

What are y'all cooking this weekend?

crawdaddyjim50
02-23-2008, 03:21 PM
I cooked up some Mr. Brown yesterday. UMmmmmmm. We use mostly Black oak around here but I do have a stockpile of Hickory and Pecan for special occasions.

pipefitter
02-23-2008, 04:01 PM
I cooked up some Mr. Brown yesterday. UMmmmmmm. We use mostly Black oak around here but I do have a stockpile of Hickory and Pecan for special occasions.
What do you call black oak? We use live oak dry or scrub oak green here. I prefer it to hickory. Also, we used to use a sprig of either mangrove or buttonwood but mangrove is a no no these days due to it being protected.

sawcutmill
02-23-2008, 04:03 PM
try Alder wood, apple, and any other fruitwood.

Paul Pless
02-23-2008, 04:04 PM
There's a large pecan grove just down the river a piece from here, that's been bought out, and is being turned into a gravel pit. Its kinda sad to me cause it was one of those places from my childhood where I used to play and then hunt when I was a little older and then camped there too when I would run trot lines on the river. But now, every few months they expand the pit a little and just go push several trees over with an excavator, and when they do I go down and grab some of the wood. Its seems kind of shame, if I didn't get it they just let it rot, or pile it up and set it ablaze with diesel fuel.

Can't stop progress, eh?:(

paladin
02-23-2008, 04:05 PM
I have chikkin and pork satay marinating right now and it will be ready for the charcoal in about an hour......

Vince Brennan
02-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Dumb ol' potroast fer me and Missus.

Gee, somayouz guys and gals sure can cook!

StevenBauer
02-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Paul, are there any pieces of that pecan that would be good for turning bowls? If you brought some blanks up with you next time you visit I could give you a bowl turning lesson. :)

Steven

Did you see the skiff thread?

BETTY-B
02-23-2008, 04:26 PM
That's what I need to do this weekend. Smoke some fish. Now if I could only remember who borrowed my smokers?

DAN

Here's some smoked tuna from a couple years ago:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d10/Bridgedeck/smoking/smoker.jpg

ADDED: Tip #1 Remember, be patient and wait for the proper pelicle!

crawdaddyjim50
02-23-2008, 06:31 PM
What do you call black oak? We use live oak dry or scrub oak green here. I prefer it to hickory. Also, we used to use a sprig of either mangrove or buttonwood but mangrove is a no no these days due to it being protected.

Black oak is water oak. Really prevelant around here. Live oaks make good smoke but are too big to handle easily. Mangrove is good. I prefer Pecan. Nice and smooth. I usually toss in a little Hickory with the Oak. And have used Orange with the pecan on chickens. SWEEET

pipefitter
02-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Black oak is water oak. Really prevelant around here. Live oaks make good smoke but are too big to handle easily. Mangrove is good. I prefer Pecan. Nice and smooth. I usually toss in a little Hickory with the Oak. And have used Orange with the pecan on chickens. SWEEET

I now recall after posting to this that for the most part, it was whatever was easiest to get. Anything just about except for pine or Camphor. That's pretty much what was available on short notice, which is how most of these smokings usually come about on a mention.

The best smoker for mullet is still the grandad's gutted Philco refrigerator with the Franklin stove off the back.

Katherine
02-23-2008, 07:29 PM
I gots a small whole turkey slowly smoking over apple and pecan woods right now.:D

What are y'all cooking this weekend?And I didn't make him lift a finger to help with meals when he was here last weekend.:rolleyes::mad:

StevenBauer
02-23-2008, 07:37 PM
ADDED: Tip #1 Remember, be patient and wait for the proper pelicle!

OK, I'll bite. What the Sam Heck is a "proper pelicle'?!?

Steven

Paul Pless
02-23-2008, 07:41 PM
I didn't know what it was either, and here I was considering myself The Grill King.:p

The fish should dry for 2 to 3 hours or until a shiny skin or pellicle forms on the surface. The pellicle seals the surface and prevents loss of natural juices during smoking. A fan will speed pellicle formation

BETTY-B
02-23-2008, 07:48 PM
OK, I'll bite. What the Sam Heck is a "proper pelicle'?!?

Steven

Well, I missed an "L" in the spelling, but here's the dictionary entry for it:

pel·li·cle (phttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ebreve.giflhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gif-khttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifl)
n. A thin skin or film, such as an organic membrane or liquid film.

After you take your food out of the brine and wipe off all the liquid, you let it air dry for an hour or so to let the pellicle form before putting it in the smoker. It's a key step that willl produce a superior product....

DAN

Edited: I was eating and not responding very fast here. Two or three hours sounds extreme, but I bet it wouldnt hurt..

JBreeze
02-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Don't know what a pellicle is :eek::eek::eek:?

Even dumb Ro Dylun yankees knows what that is!

(actually, I've known since friday, since it was mentioned in the bacon link in Dan's thread....I guess it is important for smoking).

http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=76058

PS...if you haven't opened the link in Dan's thread, please do so....the homemade bacon sounds delicious.

Barefoot.bosun.
02-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Thai green curry with fresh prawns scallops, chicken. and some jasmin rice. beer, local vancouver island cream ale. can't barbeque yet. have a freezer full of salmon waiting for the summer.

cathouse willy
02-23-2008, 08:39 PM
As far as I know there are two kinds of smokers.1.The cold smoke method where the food is treated with a brine and smoked at a low temp.2.The hot smoke method where the food is not salted and cooked over a coal bed around 250 degees for a long time usually with a pan of water over the coals to help regulate the temp and keep things moist.I have a "water smoker" made by "meco" quite common in the southern USA I'm told but not often seen here in the frozen north.I've had some excellent dinners of pork ,chicken,salmon and a whole turkey using apple ,cherry maple or alder.Its a great way of cooking.

crawdaddyjim50
02-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Roger that on the Fridge!:D But as I get propane tanks for free.....I make a smoker out of the 420# upright DOT tanks. Thick steel will hold heat well and you can make shelf holders just by cutting a U shape in the side and bending it in. Takes about an hour once you get set up. I usually use old exhaust pipe for chimneys. The ones off of semi trucks make the best if they are chromed.

I got some HUGE prawns in trade for fixing a stove. They smoked up some kinda wonderful. Smoked them in the shell after a marinade trip. I durn near got too full to move off the porch!

pipefitter
02-24-2008, 01:28 AM
We didn't wait for any pelicans to form on smoked mullet. We just salted them liberally and they were put to the smoke like that. Any sign of drying out was chased by a touch of peanut oil. Most of the salt and oil goes away. Then the old man coated the fish with a special redneck barbecue sauce for the last hour. If the mullet are fat, there is enough heat soluble fat lining the bellies to keep from drying out as a natural time released baste. The end result is a fish that melts in your mouth and is as good many days after.

I have tried most of the smoked mullet from the seafood places and it was more times like fish jerky or work boot leather. I was fortunate in that I was always available to help Mr. Whillock when we got the idea to smoke fish and will never forget the process. Never a shortage of friends or family to get together on such occasion.

The fridge's magic is that it was just leaky enough to keep the box from getting too hot.