PDA

View Full Version : What it means to be an Allstar Dad

cs
02-18-2008, 08:00 AM
It means:

You get to leave work early on Friday to drive for a few hours so that you can make practice @ 10:00 that night. It means parking a block and half from the hotel and 8 blocks from the convention center. It means paying $20 for parking.

It means spending your weekend in a farway town, on your feet all day around teeneagers run amock. It means $6 hamburgers and $60 admission (for two). It means extra trips up to the 19th floor because of forgotten socks. It means Hotters Quesidilos at midnight for supper.

It means, twisted ankles, hip pointers and strained knees. It means piggyback rides to Moms that don't want to get their feet wet. It means spending the day in wet shoes. It means Mexican restrurants without Chips and salsa. It means more trips back to the motel to move the car.

It means awards at 11:00 pm. It means hitting the midnight road in a strange town. It means dried out hot dogs at a late night conveince store for supper. It means 2 hour drives. It means getting home at 2:00 am. It means getting up at 6:00 am to go to work and help pay for it all.

But it is worth every minute of it.

Chad

Brian Palmer
02-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Chad, not quite so heroic, but got up at 5:00 AM on a Sunday, drove to Philly for a boy's gymnastics meet, got back in the car, and drove home. Got home about 3:00 PM.

Seems like a lot of work for a Sunday, but my son puts a lot more into it than I do, and seems to really thrive on it, so I'll keep doing it.

Yes, it is worth it.

--Brian

cs
02-18-2008, 09:11 AM
I remember the gymnastic days and those compittions. Doesn't seem that long ago, but she quit gymnastics at 8 and she is now 15.

One of most memorbiale experiances was driving the van full of nothing but Level 4 gymnast to a meet about 3 hours away. Nothing but fun.

BTW the ankle, knee and hip are mine and the ankle is smarting quite a bit this morning

Tar Devil
02-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Been there and done that through 14 years of dance competition, and I'm still nowhere near "AllStar" status. :(

I thought the dance promoters were the only ones ignorant enough to have awards at 11:45 on Sunday night. Maybe the other parents didn't work and home-schooled their kids.

cs
02-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Hey Phil I'm not an Allstar, at least to the kid. Allstar is what they call this style of cheerleading. I'm just the Dad of an Allstar.

but in the end it is worth every dollar spent and and every ankle twisted.

Chad

George Roberts
02-18-2008, 09:38 AM
cs ---

All that is normal dad stuff. Part of being a normal parent. Nothing special.

I remember driving my daughter back and forth to college. 16 times over 4 years. 18 hrs of driving with her. 4 hrs of sleep while she drove. 21 hrs of driving alone. Nothing special. Just what had to be done.

cs
02-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks George, I had almost forgetton that I'm nothing special.

Yeah I know this is what we do, but I'm really tired after that drive and than coming to work.

Chad

cs
02-18-2008, 12:18 PM
George don't mean to be so crappy about it, just really tired. And you would really be suprised at the amount of Dads that will not go to these things at all with their kids.

Chad

Stiletto
02-18-2008, 02:51 PM
And you would really be suprised at the amount of Dads that will not go to these things at all with their kids.

It brings up the question: If a father doesnt want to go, is there any benefit at all in his going?

cs
02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Yes. A parent should be involved in what their childeren do. It is benfital for both parent and child.

Chad

GregH
02-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Son is now 31, daughter 25:

3 years as Cub Scout pack leader, 8 years coaching, managing Little Leauge & Softball teams; all-day drives to weekend tournaments -sometimes only to get knocked out in the first round....

Gawd, I miss it!!

Ken Hutchins
02-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Just like being a figure skatins mom or dad, 120 miles round to the ice rink 7 days per week year, for 8 years, after that he got his driver licsens that contined to age 25 when he turned pro.
5 cars with over 1,250,000 miles on them.
Part of being a mom, or dad.:)

George Roberts
02-18-2008, 03:42 PM
I think cs and many others have shown us they are good parents.

---

"If a father doesnt want to go, is there any benefit at all in his going?"

No benefit. It just reflects on the quality of his fatherhood.

cs
02-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Son is now 31, daughter 25:

3 years as Cub Scout pack leader, 8 years coaching, managing Little Leauge & Softball teams; all-day drives to weekend tournaments -sometimes only to get knocked out in the first round....

Gawd, I miss it!!

That scares me. What do I do when she no longer needs me to do these things for and with her?

Chad

And thanks George.

cs
02-18-2008, 03:59 PM
And you are correct Norman, some kids feel that they "have" to do it.

We have always made it her choice, but once she makes a commiment to a team she is with them throughout the season.

This kid loves to cheer though. She is the one that drives us insane about it. Last year when she broke her arm she made her Mom stop at the gym on the way home from getting released from the Dr. so she could tumble. Same thing with tonsils this year, the day she was released she made us go to the gym.

Chad