PDA

View Full Version : Frames of pine 2x4 in a deadrise???

James River Rat
05-14-2003, 09:16 AM
Take a look at this link.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/16885718/16887058sEoNVeSQcf

Are those white pine 2x4 frames really something you would use boat building? I am a total novice, but my experience with wood such as this is that it would rot away in no time.

Can I really build a boat with material like this?

I also like the bent nails as a rod rack! Nice touch.

pjwalsh
05-14-2003, 09:33 AM
You certainly could use spf 2 x 4 but, they probably would rot rather more quickly than more traditional framing materials like white oak or some old growth yellow pine.

I looked at the other photos of the boat too - the construction of this boat is not typical of Chesapeake deadrise boats. Usually they are either carvel or striplanked on the topsides in cedar or yellow pine. The side frames are really cleats intended to hold the side planks that span between the chine log and shear. They are usually of oak or yellow pine. Plywood planking is unusual in a deadrise - they usually have a lot of flare in the bow area.

Personally I would go for higher quality materials if it were me - a big boat is too much work to build to skimp on the basic stuff. There is a pretty well established tradition of Chesapeake watermen building in whatever material is available though.

Wild Wassa
05-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by James River Rat:
"Can I really build a boat with material like this?"

James, did you notice that the boat was called High Hopes?

Warren.

ps, I'm not implying anything, :rolleyes: .

daddles
05-15-2003, 07:31 PM
Excuse my inexperience here but that looks like a big boat with a lot of work gone into building it - yet he's cutting corners (assuming the wood has been identified correctly). How much did he save and to what purpose? I hope we're doing the bloke an injustice.

There is one thing to be said about skimping on good materials - it's consistent. You always regret it later.

Cheers
Richard

On Vacation
05-15-2003, 08:04 PM
That boat was probably built in Tilgman Island or around the Chrisfield, Md. area. Plywood and probably polyester resin and glass. The framing could be cedar. If not, white pine with the pin knots in it. This is very typical in the last 15 years to build a bay boat like this.