PDA

View Full Version : RV temperary homes for Katrina victims UNSAFE?

Nicholas Scheuer
02-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Just heard a news iten on NPR about the need to get people OUT of the temperary RV homes as quickly as possible due to the FORMALDEHYDE materials (insullation?) used in their construction. Exposeure has led to nosebleeds, eye irritation, breathing problems, and more.

The quote I remember was " - - -commonly used in the Mobile Home Industry". My question is, what about the regular Mobile Homes used as permanent dwellings over the country?

Boy! Chertoff is really on top of this one! Did he clear it with Bush? Will Bush have to get his HUD dummy to make a speech now?

Moby Nick

George Roberts
02-14-2008, 01:29 PM
It is used in the plywood and particle board. The solution is to open the windows from time to time.

Nicholas Scheuer
02-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Wife and I heard "insulation" but you may be right on both counts. However, the Public Notice (now on MSN) pushes for more drastic measures, like "MOVE OUT".

Opening windows can aleviate a number of air issues, but it is surprizing how many people do not. I'll open a bedroom window at least a crack in anything over 10-degrees F.

Moby Nick

Ron Williamson
02-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Same thing happens when you open a door, to go outside,for instance.
R

jack grebe
02-14-2008, 07:26 PM
It is used in just about every thing in the RV's. Always has been.
The problem is keeping these things shut up tight.

1) they are NOT ment for long term/full time occupation
2)They need to be "aired out" from time to time.
3) It's time for these folks to "move along", what ever that may be.

These were a temporary housing solution.After 2 1/2 yrs, they have
become more permanent for some.

BrianW
02-14-2008, 09:22 PM
I heard they wanted to leave, but were just waiting on the FEMA ice. It's still being trucked around northern Wisconsin from what I hear. ;)

Nicholas Scheuer
02-14-2008, 10:05 PM
What about regular, long-term, permanent Mobile Homes; ya'know, "double-wides"?

Are they meant to "gas" the inhabitants, too?

Moby Nick

BrianW
02-14-2008, 11:38 PM
They're okay, if ya take off the wheels and add skirts to keep the skunks out from underneath.

jack grebe
02-15-2008, 07:23 AM
What about regular, long-term, permanent Mobile Homes; ya'know, "double-wides"?

Are they meant to "gas" the inhabitants, too?

Moby Nick
Yes, they need to be aired out too.

epoxyboy
02-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Last year at the local boat show I had a look in one of those McGregor things (the "yacht" with the 90hp outboard). This was a brand new boat, and the stench of plastic, polyester resin, upholstery glue etc was seriously unpleasant - I reckon the result of a night spent aboard would be the mother of all headaches. I can't imagine a mobile home being much different.

Pete

High C
02-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Last year at the local boat show I had a look in one of those McGregor things (the "yacht" with the 90hp outboard). This was a brand new boat, and the stench of plastic, polyester resin, upholstery glue etc was seriously unpleasant - I reckon the result of a night spent aboard would be the mother of all headaches. I can't imagine a mobile home being much different.

Pete

Less polyester resin! :D

brad9798
02-15-2008, 10:53 PM
All dwellings need to breathe ... always have (needed to breathe). Toxins in stick-built are not much different.

The biggest difference in stick built versus manufacturered homes (besides reputation): Manufactured homes are stronger, more square, and overall built better.

Now I am not talking the old double-wide ... but actual manufactured homes! Always less nail pops, square corners and dimensions ... much better.

High C
02-15-2008, 11:41 PM
They may be more square, plumb, and level, but they generally are better built only than cheap tract housing. The materials are marginal, the structural bits only to minimal code. We are seeing quite a few here in poast Katrina land. I was excited about these homes at first, but after seeing a bunch, I'm underwhelmed.

PeterSibley
02-16-2008, 12:58 AM
High C ...would you like to open a thread about how NO is going ? We O/S were all snowed with the disaster footage but now ..nothing !

glenallen
02-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Don't we get to hear who built these polluted trailers? Don't we get to see the contract our government made with the builder of these trailers?
Chertoff said the other day, "Fema is out of the trailer business". Bout time, ain't it? Bastards!
Why is Chertoff still chirpping for the Chimp? Somebody do something!

High C
02-16-2008, 01:10 AM
High C ...would you like to open a thread about how NO is going ? We O/S were all snowed with the disaster footage but now ..nothing !

Peter, thanks for asking, and I will, but not until sometime next week. It would take a bit of time and thought and I've a lot on my plate at the moment.

The quick answer for now, there's good and bad. It's very slow, almost half the city's population still away due to destroyed housing. Next week, I'll be more thorough!

PeterSibley
02-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Thanks ...I look forward to it .

jack grebe
02-16-2008, 07:01 AM
The quick answer for now, there's good and bad. It's very slow, almost half the city's population still away due to destroyed housing. Next week, I'll be more thorough!
I am looking forward to it too.........It's hard to believe I have been gone a yr now:eek:.