PDA

View Full Version : Nonsequiturs

ishmael
02-12-2008, 04:28 PM
I was tooling around the computer the other week, thinkin' I needed to run the vac a bit, when I looked down at the floor and there was something I didn't expect, one bit. Ya know how every once in awhile something crosses the path that is completely strange? Well, this was one of those times.

It was an old emblem from the Elks, a tooth, set in fourteen carat, with a broken chain leading to a fob of lesser metal, both pieces just sitting there. Hm says I, after picking it up, having a close look, "Where the hell did this come from?" It was completely strange and out of place. I got a little paranoid, thought well, the only way it could have gotten here was if someone was snooping and came in here while I wasn't here. Any PI or detective would have a boring time around this place, but the piece seemed to say someone had been in here.

I still can't explain it. I've thought, well it came in on my shoe, but that doesn't quite wash. I've wondered who could be interested enough in little ol' me to come in here? That doesn't quite wash either. Nothing was taken or disturbed, and I don't tend toward paranoia, but where the hell did that Elk's tooth come from? I've started, for the first time, locking my door when I go out for an errand.

seanz
02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

An elks tooth!
Ain't that the Maine version of the black spot?
:p

rotund1
02-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Now thats odd.

Flying Orca
02-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Um, look what the Catawumpus dragged in, maybe?

rotund1
02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Are you sure it is an elks tooth? We have an Elks club in our town, I should go down and see what one looks like.

Kaa
02-12-2008, 05:04 PM
It must have dropped out of a hovering flying saucer.

Kaa

ishmael
02-12-2008, 05:07 PM
"Now thats odd."

Yeah, tell me about it. The cat didn't drag this bit in, and it didn't come in on a snowy shoe, I'm pretty sure.

Mystery. There is no good explanation, but there the tooth was. I've thought long and hard about it. All I can come up with is that someone wearing an Elk's tooth came in here and had a look through my computer while I wasn't here. I have no idea why. Sloppy to break the fob and leave the tooth. LOL.

How else did this bit of Elk ephemera show up on my floor? I'm just sure neither cat nor I tracked it in. Very odd.

BETTY-B
02-12-2008, 05:25 PM
That is strange. Maybe it has something to do with this ipe deck I am building?

DAN

Tom Montgomery
02-12-2008, 05:27 PM
I am having a strange sense of deja vu.

rotund1
02-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Well there surly is a lot of sneaking about these days. But with the current pres. setting standards of conduct, I find it no surprise.
Although I would have thought that in you neck of the woods some old American values would be respected. But remember this is a different time, its all good, torture, begging phones, spying on your neighbor, for just a start. Now that tooth, odd indeed?.

ishmael
02-12-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm without an answer. All I know is the tooth was there, and it didn't fit.

I've wondered about past connections with the national intelligence crew. My father had a few dealings with the nascent CIA, and I held a DOE Q clearance for a bit. But those don't quite wash, either. I have no idea. The whole thing is weird. Why would anyone be interested in me enough to break in? But there the tooth is. I put it in a drawer for a bit, then moved it over to a cupboard. I'm not making this up, and I haven't a clue what it means.

It's someone's family heirloom, the setting is fourteen carat. Come have a talk face to face, whoever you are, and maybe I'll give it back to you.

BrianW
02-12-2008, 07:04 PM
After too much tequila, I once woke up and found myself on the floor in the hall. ;)

LeeG
02-12-2008, 07:07 PM
do elks ride the little motorcycles in parades? Any tire tracks?

BrianW
02-12-2008, 07:12 PM
that would be the Shriners.

Bruce Taylor
02-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Like this?

http://www.dargate.com/225_auction/225_pics/15.jpg

LeeG
02-12-2008, 07:22 PM
methinks Jack has some dropouts in his hardrive

The Bigfella
02-12-2008, 07:26 PM
After too much tequila, I once woke up and found myself on the floor in the hall. ;)

I woke up under a pool table after too much tequila once. I think we may have found the answer. Tequila clearly has the power to transport people - why not teeth?

Memphis Mike
02-12-2008, 07:29 PM
You said the other day that someone had called the cops on you. It might have been one of them that slipped in to see what's on your hard drive.

Milo Christensen
02-12-2008, 07:30 PM
The Elks are Benevolent and Protective, no worries mate.

LeeG
02-12-2008, 07:41 PM
I had too much tequila in a British pub in southern spain with a south African engineer. Then I ate a Scotch egg,,turned me inside out like a few psylocibin mushrooms.

glenallen
02-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Put an ad in the newspaper Lost & Found.

The Bigfella
02-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Just ring up Homeland Security and tell them what you found

ishmael
02-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah, pretty much like that, Bruce. Not quite as fancy, but close, and it had the eleventh hour clock.

I don't' like to be paranoid, and I keep coming up with prosaic explainations, but it was fricken weird.

Bruce Taylor
02-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah, pretty much like that, Bruce. Not quite as fancy, but close, and it had the eleventh hour clock.

I don't' like to be paranoid, and I keep coming up with prosaic explainations, but it was fricken weird.

If I lived alone I'd find it weird, too.

My house is another story. A whole elk might surprise me, for a minute or two, but a tooth would pass unnoticed. :D In our front hallway we have a big drawer filled with stuff that just ended up here somehow.

ishmael
02-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Someone was in here. I have no idea why, and I hope they found what they were looking for. My hard drive on the computer has nothing I'm ashamed of, and neither does anything else.

I don't want to be paranoid, but someone came in here. That Elk emblem didn't materialize out of nothing.

Weird. I guess I should be honored.

Canoeyawl
02-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Seems like someone just gave you the lead in for a great novel.
A recluse, living in the woods of Maine, no close neighbors,
A recently deceased brother halfway across the country with a closet full of explosives and a half finished boat
An old security clearance, father connected to the CIA,
Clumsy Spooks in your home
Somehow itís all connected to a secret society

I like it
Hereís your chance Ish Ė The handwriting is on the wall
Go with it.

The Bigfella
02-13-2008, 12:14 AM
I don't want to be paranoid, but someone came in here. That Elk emblem didn't materialize out of nothing.

Weird. I guess I should be honored.

Mate - if anyone of substance came in there, they wouldn't be dropping dross like that.

LeeG
02-13-2008, 12:18 AM
closet full of explosives???

rotund1
02-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Now I got up this morning thinking that odd.

Popeye
02-13-2008, 09:52 AM
i had to keep the back door closed shut , kitchen had tumble weeds

LeeG
02-13-2008, 09:54 AM
I found a missing sock ,,but it doesn't match the other socks needing a match

Popeye
02-13-2008, 09:58 AM
can't say exactly what to do about elksmen hiding in the living room

the secret handshake would only encourage them

ishmael
02-13-2008, 10:37 AM
"closet full of explosives???"

Yeah, I'm the next Una-bomber, didn't you know?

I'm so paranoid I don't even have cartriges for the couple guns I own. I guess if I had to use them in defense I'd have to throw them.

Curious, that Elk's tooth. I just can't come up with a reasonable explanation for it.

PatCox
02-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Have you just woken up from a prolonged blackout, during which you became an Elk?

ishmael
02-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah, that's it, Pat. ;)

I've filed it away, it doesn't hold much of my attention today. Just bloody weird.

Mrleft8
02-13-2008, 11:46 AM
I found a missing sock ,,but it doesn't match the other socks needing a match
Then how do you know it was missing?

Bruce Taylor
02-13-2008, 12:05 PM
My inlaws once found a Chrismas pudding on their doorstep. Thinking it was a gift from a kind neigbour, they cooked and ate it. Not long afterwards, a neighbour did call to say that she'd seen my father-in-law's black labrador running down the road with something in his mouth...

Wild Wassa
02-13-2008, 01:13 PM
"Nonsequiturs."

Jack, what has "nonsequiturs" got to do with anything? ... I just don't follow.

I'm guessing that there are members here with missing teeth? ... the danger lies within, most Bilge posters are toothless.

Jack your find could be incisive ... and you have the other half of the clue.

Is that tooth that you have still the same tooth that you picked up, the second one that also now has your DNA all over it?

Don't pick up any more teeth that you find, and don't allow any of your DNA to be found on any more teeth.

Jack I've a feeling that you are not telling us everything? You could be implicated in something more serious than a possible dentine dilema.

I recall the intelligence service called Moosead planted their teeth in places that they shouldn't.

Jack, go into hiding, go now, don't look back ... (and to keep it in a secret code) anche se potrebbe essere troppo ritadarto gia.

Warren.

ishmael
02-13-2008, 01:29 PM
No, that's it, Warren. Just an anomalous thing in an anomalous place which leads me in strange directions.

I'm pretty much an open book. I can't understand why anyone would be interested in my computer, or much of anything else about me, but someone other than me or Catawumpous brought this Elk's tooth in here, and, frankly, I'd like to know who?

If I still held a Q clearance the paranoia about government types snooping might make more sense, but I don't

Just weird, and I'm telling it straight.

LeeG
02-13-2008, 01:36 PM
here's a non-sequitor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmSdiamY77c

Bruce Taylor
02-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Does your cat ever bat objects around the floor? Every house has its nooks and chinks. A previous occupant of your place might have dropped the tooth behind a radiator, or kicked it under a baseboard moulding. Perhaps you dislodged it with a broom, or vacuum? Makes as much sense to me as the theory that somebody was snooping at your computer.

ishmael
02-13-2008, 01:59 PM
"Does your cat ever bat objects around the floor? Every house has its nooks and chinks. A previous occupant of your place might have dropped the tooth behind a radiator, or kicked it under a baseboard moulding."

Um, no to most of that. The cat does bat things about, but I'm quite sure this didn't pop out from under a baseboard.

I'm just gonna take it as one of those inexplicables and not worry on it much.

When I first moved in here I had very little with me. One favored book I've had for thirty years, a copy of Leaves of Grass. It has disappeared. I've hunted high and low, but it's gone. Maybe I live in a space-time warp? LOL.

Popeye
02-13-2008, 02:13 PM
i am also drawing a blank , the only thing left to do now is to post a pic of elke sommer

http://www.heresie.com/enfer/elke/el22.jpg

if she shows up on the carpet under your desk , call me for instructions

John of Phoenix
02-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Elke Sommer - now there's a non sequitur.

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/1786/elkesommeraqi8.jpg