PDA

View Full Version : Yet another political thread

Bill R
02-11-2008, 06:23 AM
Without turning this thread into a pi$$ing match...

What do you do when you can't in good conscience vote for any of the political candidates offered in the upcoming presidential election, but you can't not vote either?

Why can't there be a "None of the Above" option?

tattooed john
02-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Obvious.

Least worst.

But.. You Knew that.

Go for it mate.

tattooed john
02-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Or- find a candidate that isn't in the real running that best reflects your ideals.

This is still a message to the other candidates about where your opinion lies. It might effect their future policies if enough voters vote like you do.

Vote Green.

Ron Williamson
02-11-2008, 06:36 AM
Can you decline your ballot?
You show up to vote and hand the ballot,unmolested,back to the official,saying,"I decline."
The vote counts,unlike a spoiled ballot.
I vote Green.
R

Peter Kalshoven
02-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Robert Heinlein once wrote that the best way to handle that was to find the greatest idiot you know, and find out how they are voting. Then cast a vote exactly opposite theirs. If nothing else, you've negated one stupid person's vote.

Paul Pless
02-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Write in a candidate, as a protest vote.

Maybe Paris Hilton?;):p

Joe (SoCal)
02-11-2008, 07:20 AM
For the first time in my voting life I'm enthralled to finally have a candidate like Obama that I'm excited to vote for. The possibility of for once since I was 18 to possibly have my candidate win the presidency is very exciting.

So Bill I'm sorry I cant share your ambivalence, I have in the past, most notably with Kerry but my vote then was more about ABB

Paul Pless
02-11-2008, 07:25 AM
For the first time in my voting life I'm enthralled to finally have a candidate like Come on Joe, you know you passionately wanted this guy to be president.;)

http://www.brianharer.com/cover_pics/Dukakis_tank-1.jpg

Milo Christensen
02-11-2008, 07:28 AM
I'd love to have a none of the above option if it would keep the office vacant if a majority agreed. There aren't many political offices that are vital. Without a leave the office vacant option I'll vote for gridlock. A fairly good case can be made that gridlock is good for America.

Tylerdurden
02-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Its all bullcrap Bill. The "approved candidates are all there and Kucinich and Paul were bribed to STFU.

The best any man can do is keep their powder dry as it is no longer in our hands until the elite show their hand to the programmed sheeple.
Then we need to slap the deer in the headlights look off there faces and show them the way back.

God help us all in what lies ahead.

Joe (SoCal)
02-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Paul every candidate I've ever voted for since I was 18 has NEVER won.

Think about that ;)
Obviously I did not vote for Reagan
Bush Sr.
Or even Clinton both times.
Obviously the current smirking chimp.
Thats a lot of loosing ;)

Joe (SoCal)
02-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Agreed Norman,

FWIW Dean ran a brilliant race until the screech and it all came tumbling down.
Google image Howard Dean and what do you get ?

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/gallery/2004/01/20/newdaanapgallery.jpg

I know there are those just waiting on the edge of their seat fro Mccain to loose his temper in public so they can watch that house of cards fall.

Lowest common denominator, sound bites and paparazzi photos, dominate the 30 min sitcom attention span of most Americans.

On a positive note Obama won a Grammy last night over Bill Clinton in the spoken word category. ;)

StevenBauer
02-11-2008, 08:40 AM
At the caucus yesterday during Gov. Patric's speech for Obama he got a huge crowd reaction when he said that it's time to stop talking about Right and Left and time to start talking about right and wrong.

Steven

Cuyahoga Chuck
02-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Without turning this thread into a pi$$ing match...

What do you do when you can't in good conscience vote for any of the political candidates offered in the upcoming presidential election, but you can't not vote either?

Why can't there be a "None of the Above" option?

It works this way. Next November one of the candidates will be the president of YOUR country whether you like them or not. If you notice, life is full of occurances like that.
You can take the tack that avoiding the voting process is an act of "integrety" because of percieved differences with your own views or you can belly up to the bar, do your duty as a citizen and make the tough choices.
For the life of me I don't understand the recalcitrance. Almost anybody would be an improvement over he who sits in the Oval Office today. And any citizen ought to be glad to help elect a president who can reverse the destructive policies of the Bush administration.

StevenBauer
02-11-2008, 08:57 AM
I heard at the Caucus yesterday that Obama's speech Saturday night in Virginia was his best since Iowa. Did anyone catch it?

Steven

StevenBauer
02-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Here it is, I'm listening now:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hUngQ8-wLU

High C
02-11-2008, 09:00 AM
...A fairly good case can be made that gridlock is good for America.

Amen to that!

Paul, there may well be several names on the ballot you've never heard of. Pick one, or write in someone.

Tylerdurden
02-11-2008, 09:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh-T2iGkLJY

Vince Brennan
02-11-2008, 09:01 AM
I didn't, but I did catch Barak and Hillary on sixty minutes and (imo) he came away head and shoulders the 'winner' in that non-contest.

BUT: no matter how much I may favour one over the other, I remain adamant in my opinion that they're ALL "politicians" and they didn't get where they are on charm and integrity alone. I hope I'll be forgiven if I shake their hands but keep my wallet pocket buttoned.

elf
02-11-2008, 09:40 AM
I still think we need a different kind of ballot - one in which one votes Yea or Nay for every candidate. I vote Yea for Obama, Nay for Hillary, Nay for McCain, Nay for Huckabee.

The Nays get subtracted from the Yeas. The person with the largest number of Yeas is the winner.

This is the only way to not disenfranchise those who do not care for Any of the Above, as well as making space for the opinions of all as opposed to just the opinions of those willing to bother.

S.V. Airlie
02-11-2008, 10:24 AM
I still think we need a different kind of ballot - one in which one votes Yea or Nay for every candidate. I vote Yea for Obama, Nay for Hillary, Nay for McCain, Nay for Huckabee.

The Nays get subtracted from the Yeas. The person with the largest number of Yeas is the winner.

This is the only way to not disenfranchise those who do not care for Any of the Above, as well as making space for the opinions of all as opposed to just the opinions of those willing to bother.

Interesting idea elf. Three things.. Don't have anyone write the words "yea " or "Nay".. Too confusing.. Filling in a dot is easier.:D
Secondly, can't wait to see a machine developed to handle this. Hard enough just to count one vote.
Thirdly, If ya think the Florida mess and the Ohio mess were messes, if the above is ever implimented.. calling the results a mess is being politically polite.