PDA

View Full Version : Obama wins Maine

Hwyl
02-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Seems to have steamrolled it, with double the expected turnout on a crappy weather day.

It looks like it's history in the making.

skuthorp
02-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Hmm, If Obama gets the nomination will Hillary come on board or take her bat and go home? What's the chance, given the electoral college system, of Hillary getting it in spite of events purely because of her long entrenched organisation and favours owed and given?
What would be the backlash if so, votes for McCain?
Or will the course of events create their own momentum do you think?

Yeadon
02-10-2008, 07:48 PM
She'll go out kicking and screaming. It'll be messy.

High C
02-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Hmm, If Obama gets the nomination will Hillary come on board or take her bat and go home? What's the chance, given the electoral college system, of Hillary getting it in spite of events purely because of her long entrenched organisation and favours owed and given?....

Take heart. There is no chance of that happening. The electoral college has no role in the primaries, only the general election in November.

The primaries are strictly intra party battles to decide whom to run for the Presidential election. If The Democratic party chooses Obama as its nominee, Hillary won't even be on the popular vote ballot. Though its electors do have discretion to vote contrary to the popular vote if they so choose, the electoral college has a near perfect record of voting with the popular majorities of their respective states.

Hwyl
02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Actually, I think she'll be powerful; win or lose.
I don't understand the Hillary haters.
Seems to this liberal any of three in contention right now would not be too bad, of course I'm not in the "possibly wanting a abortion" demographic, but I do have teenage kids.

Chris Coose
02-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Democrats owe the Hillary haters big time.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
02-10-2008, 08:16 PM
with double the expected turnout on a crappy weather day.

This says alot about the people of Maine.

StevenBauer
02-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Hey Chris, did you caucus? I was looking for you down at the High School.

Steven

JMAC
02-10-2008, 08:51 PM
I drove by the very small town of Thorndike (Maine) this afternoon and it's parking lot was chock full for the caucus. A friend saw Obama speak in Bangor last night to a packed house with 1000 people in the parking lot. Hillary spoke in nearby Orono and also packed the place.

We'll know something is truly happening when you type "Obama" and the computer doesn't treat it like a misspelled word.

bamamick
02-10-2008, 10:51 PM
I expect the turnout in November to be very high (comparatively). I believe that the fact that this thing is very much up the air will cause a great many people who are normally apathetic about elections to get involved this time.

Mickey Lake

ishmael
02-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Nice to see Maine making some national news. LOL

They just showed Maine caucusers standing in line to get in and vote, a big turnout.

My strong dislike of Hillary isn't a knee-jerk reaction. She and her buddy are ill-making politicians. Shady, crooked as a barrel of snakes. Smooth, well polished, when they need to be.

Go Obama!