PDA

View Full Version : This is a quiz for people who know everything!

Spin_Drift
02-10-2008, 04:20 AM
These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ' dw' and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.'

The Bigfella
02-10-2008, 05:30 AM
Chess

Some glacier

Capsicum and watercress

Strawberry

vacuum sucks it in

dwarf and dwell

comma, full stop. hyphen - question mark? exclamation mark! colon: semi colon: bracket{} quotation mark""

Avocado

snowshoe, ski, shoe, sock, stocking, sandal, slipper, skate

PeterSibley
02-10-2008, 05:53 AM
chess
Niagra falls
rhubarb ,eggplant where I live
strawberry
dried first ?
dwarf ,dwell
!?;:,-
lettuce
slippers ,socks ,shoes ,stockings, ?

mizzenman
02-10-2008, 06:01 AM
1. Boxing

5. Botles are fastened to the branches of trees so the fruit grows inside

6.oh and dwindle...?

Peter Kalshoven
02-10-2008, 07:17 AM
1. Bullfighting?

Phillip Allen
02-10-2008, 07:57 AM
If chess is the answer to number one then it IS a trick question as chess is not consedered "sport"

Ian McColgin
02-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Hmm. I count 15 punctuation marks in English.
' "quotes" 'quotes within quotes ' ; : . , (parentheses enclose stuff like examples) [brackets enclose editorial remarks or clarifications] / ? ! - (as Hyphen) - (as dash between words) . . .

Milo Christensen
02-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Dweeb isn't standard english? What dwarf dweeb decided dat?

botebum
02-10-2008, 09:53 AM
#1-Bullfighting
#2-Niagra Falls
#3- asparagus and garlic
#4-Strawberry
#5-Pear is grown into the bottle on the tree
#6-dwarf, dwell, dwindle
#7-been done
#8-lettuce
#9-shoes, socks, skates, stockings, skis, snowboots, sneakers, sandals, snowshoes, slippers

Doug

huisjen
02-10-2008, 10:04 AM
1. Dogsledding
2. Dunno
3. Artichoke, rhubarb
4. Strawberries
5. It grew there. The bottle is slipped around the small fruit just after it's pollinated.
6. Dwarf, Dwindle
7. ,.!?:;"-()
8. Dunno
9. Socks, shoes, sandals, slippers, skis, skates

George Roberts
02-10-2008, 10:28 AM
It appears that one does not need to be know it all to pass this test.

Are the "'s (sixes [inverted commas] and nines) counted as 1 or 2 punctuation marks? Is it use or shape that is being counted?

(I verified my answers.)

David W Pratt
02-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Dwell
Dwelt
Dwarf
Dwarfs
Dwarves
Dwindle
Dwindles
Dwindled
My supermarket has premade guacamole
Fencing might work as the sport

Spin_Drift
02-10-2008, 12:50 PM
It appears that one does not need to be know it all to pass this test.

Are the "'s (sixes [inverted commas] and nines) counted as 1 or 2 punctuation marks? Is it use or shape that is being counted?

(I verified my answers.)

Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar . .
Period,
comma,
colon,
semicolon,
dash,
hyphen,
apostrophe,
question mark,
exclamation point,
quotation marks,
brackets,
parenthesis,
braces,
ellipses.

Hughman
02-10-2008, 01:07 PM
#3: There's a good many more than 3 'DW' words.....if you are conversing with Barbara Walters...:D

Hwyl
02-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Dwayne the water I'm dwowning

paladin
02-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I think I came up with the same DW words as did Botebum....and I thought Dweeb should be there to.....

ljb5
02-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Looks like we got everything but #2.

ishmael
02-10-2008, 02:17 PM
"braces,"

Just what is a brace? In punctuation.

Interesting list. I'm pretty good at Trivial Pursuit, but would have flunked that quiz. Fun.

P.S. As to number two how about The Grand Canyon? It's constantly cutting backward into old strata.

Bob Roncace
02-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Dwayne the water I'm dwowning

I dwunk so much I think I can see dwight... ;)

Rum_Pirate
02-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Looks like we got everything but #2.Tug-o-war?

Niagra falls (lip now concreted).
Would Mount Rushmore or grand canyon be accepted due to erosion?

Ron Williamson
02-10-2008, 02:38 PM
'Lip now concreted'
Howzatt supposed to work?
It erodes from underneath(called sapping,BTW)and the lip just falls off.
R

ishmael
02-10-2008, 02:59 PM
I doubt, very much, but don't know for sure, that anyone has poured concrete on the lip of the falls. First, you'd have to shut the water down for a day, and second, as pointed out, it wouldn't work because the strata is eroding from below.

Interesting place. I spent five days there when a kid, and the last time I saw it was from 25,000 feet on a clear day. There it was, the falls with the steam rising, and the Welland canal, all laid out like a map.

Too bad it's become so goofy commercial, it always has been, but standing there at the same railing Monroe stood at in the film by the same name was kinda a thrill. The Maid of the Mist was pretty good, too.

seanz
02-10-2008, 03:24 PM
The answers to question 3 so far............

Rhubarb
Artichoke
Asparagus
Watercress
Garlic
Eggplant
Capsicum

The question says 2 perennials and it looks like we have at least 4......

Can we get an umpires decision?
:p

Kaa
02-10-2008, 03:34 PM
By the way, I don't think that strawberry (or raspberry which also has seeds on the outside) is a fruit, technically speaking.

Kaa

seanz
02-10-2008, 03:48 PM
from Wikipedia

The strawberry is an accessory fruit; that is, the fleshy part is derived not from the ovaries which are the "seeds" (actually achenes) but from the peg at the bottom of the hypanthium that held the ovaries. So from a technical standpoint, the seeds are the actual fruits of the plant, and the flesh of the strawberry is modified receptacle tissue. It is whitish-green as it develops and in most species turns red when ripe.I read this quiz just before I went to bed and thought 'oh good, when I wake up people will be arguing about strawberrys'.
:rolleyes:
I thought I was going to be disappointed...........
:D

Rum_Pirate
02-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Interesting place. I spent five days there when a kid, and the last time I saw it was from 25,000 feet on a clear day. There it was, the falls with the steam rising, and the Welland canal, all laid out like a map.Steam? I did not realise they were that hot.

PS I may have got it (wildly) wrong but I seem to remember an article (says he desperately trying to find it or reference to it) about some restoration to the edge . . . . maybe it was to a different set of waterfalls? Oh well my mistake won't change the world. :)

Clencher
02-10-2008, 04:04 PM
No. 2 Statue of Liberty (geologists know why)

No. 3 Runner Beans to add to the list (not sure what you call them in the US - Hwyl will know)

No. 8 Cucumber to add to the list

Paul Pless
02-10-2008, 04:07 PM
No. 8 Cucumber to add to the listpickles = processed cucumbers

George Roberts
02-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Spin_Drift ---

I agree your list is 14 marks long. The problem is the question is not clear.

Brackets may be one or two marks. I prefer to use them individually although might one argue that as a grammer element they always appear in
an ordered nested pairs.

Lettuce soup.

Robbie 2
02-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Runner beans and Potato's for #3

seanz
02-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Nice to know I'm not the only one with perennial potatoes........
:)

Has anyone ever seen canned lettuce soup?

ishmael
02-10-2008, 05:41 PM
"Steam? I did not realise they were that hot."

Maybe mist would be a better word. The entire lower great lakes drainage was laid out in front of me. Fantastic!

Phillip Allen
02-10-2008, 05:46 PM
left alone, potatos will sometimes produce a seed pod (first hand experience)

Ian McColgin
02-10-2008, 05:58 PM
"Braces" is the alternate term for "brackets" which may be [] or {}.

Spindrift's list does not include inside quotes which are used thusly,

Ian claimed, "Spindrift cited both 'braces' and 'brackets' while she ignored and/or did not recognize the slash."

I've never liked the way typewriter keypads make one use the same thing for the dash and the hyphen.

brad9798
02-10-2008, 10:59 PM
#2 is clearly NIAGARA FALLS!

Now, we have it, ljb5!!!