PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Ebay Item - Mahogany-Canvas Canoe

PatCox
02-08-2008, 02:59 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1933-Old-Town-Canoe-ORIGINAL-near-Mint-Condition-Mahog_W0QQitemZ180214100240QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m180214100240

Beauty, too good to be true?

Canoez
02-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Well, a bit too good to be true. (If it was true, too heavy to lift!) The trim is Mahogany, but the rest of the boat is still Cedar.

Nice boat in nice condition. Pretty rare to find one complete with the duck-boards - if they are original. Most get broken or lost.

More than likely it has been restored or recanvassed. I can't recall seeing one that old with canvas that didn't look like alligator skin. It's possible that it was stored "gently".

$5K, however, is much more than a new one, IIRC.

Todd Bradshaw
02-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Yep, that's a nice one if you wade through the fairly substantial amount of B.S. in the listing. The value has been rather grossly overestimated. In relation to the prices of some of the lovely boats offered on the WCHA classified section, I'd say he will be looking at getting more like $1200 - $2,000 for it.

rbgarr
02-08-2008, 03:49 PM
A close friend and I did a four day trip down the Sebois River (east of Mt. Katahdin/Baxter State Park, here in Maine) when we were fifteen or so. We used his father's green Otca, just like that one. His father gave him that canoe recently and we're going to do the same trip again in June in the same boat... forty years later. Hope I'll be up for it!