Chattanooga moved to the Central time zone?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cs
    Elite Invisible Member
    • Feb 2001

Chattanooga moved to the Central time zone?

That is the only reason I can think of that the average time to get to work is after 9:00 am. Wish somebody had given me the memo.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion
  • Uncle Duke
    Just this guy...
    • Jun 2005

Re: Chattanooga moved to the Central time zone?

I don't think it's just Chattanooga - I'm always at work before 8:00 and the office is virtually empty. I work straight through to 4:30 or 5:00, eat lunch at my desk while working.
    My boss strolls in around 9:30 or 10:00, leaves around 5:00, and 3 days a week (at least) pops out around 1:00 to "go to the gym" for 2.5 hours.
    Damned work ethic makes me feel like a dinosaur.....
    Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
    ... Roy Blount, Jr.

Comment

• cs
      Elite Invisible Member
      • Feb 2001

Here is how it has unfolded today, and this is about the norm.

7:05 Receptionist and myself show up (yeah 5 minutes later than normal)

7:15 A field guy shows up to get some paper work and leaves

8:20 The next office person shows up

8:30 The owner shows up

9:20 The next office person arrives

9:25 The "Office manager" comes in (still hasn't made it too her desk)

9:35 The next office person arrives.

Two have still not arrived.

Like I said this is about normal except the office manager is actually about an hour earlier than usual.

Chad

On second thought maybe we are on mountain time

Three Little Birds
      Love is My Religion

Comment

• Larry P.
        • Sep 1999

Here is how it has unfolded today, and this is about the norm.

7:05 Receptionist and myself show up (yeah 5 minutes later than normal)

7:15 A field guy shows up to get some paper work and leaves

8:20 The next office person shows up

8:30 The owner shows up

9:20 The next office person arrives

9:25 The "Office manager" comes in (still hasn't made it too her desk)

9:35 The next office person arrives.

Two have still not arrived.

Like I said this is about normal except the office manager is actually about an hour earlier than usual.

Chad

On second thought maybe we are on mountain time

I have a novel idea, maybe you should concentrate on chad and not worry about everyone else.

Comment

• cs
          Elite Invisible Member
          • Feb 2001

I knew someone would say that and that is okay. I agree with it, but when you see it EVERY day of the week of every month year in and year out, it starts to wear you out.

Makes you think why do I even bother getting up and coming to work. Nobody else here seems to care about whether they are here or not and nobody seems to noticte that extra time that I put in to make sure my work gets done and nobody cares that I do my own work instead of pawning it off on others.

So maybe I will get over and maybe I won't. Maybe I'll look for another job (and I love working here).

Chad

Three Little Birds
          Love is My Religion

Comment

• cs
            Elite Invisible Member
            • Feb 2001

And another thing.

I've worked here for 13 years. I get here at 7:00 am (used to be 6:30) and I leave at 5:00 pm. I take an hour lunch. I do this so in case I need to do something that takes longer or I need some time off I can do it. I hardly ever take vacation, my choice.

I like working here because of several reasons. I get a deceant salary. Mine and the family's health and dental is fully paid for. I get a nice 401K plan. They pay me for being away for guard and even when it is more than 2 weeks. They actually support the guard and what I do there. If I need extra time off I can take it. If I need a longer lunch I can take it. If I needed money the boss would lend it to me out of his personal money.

The benifts and the boss and most of the people are great. I've worked in sweat shops before and I know a cherry ride when I see it.

I do not take advantage of this genrousity though. Others do. They take 2 or 3 hour lunches. They come in when the please, they leave when they please. They take off half days on Friday. They may not even show up if the boss is out. They take about twice as much vacation as they are suppossed to.

And it is not like they do this every now and than, they do it all the time. That time schedule I posted up top is the norm and they still take 2 or 3 hour lunches.

So yeah I'm bitter about the abuse that these people give a system that is user friendly. I've never worked for a better bunch of people, it is just these others that think they are on central time.

Chad

Three Little Birds
            Love is My Religion

Comment

• hokiefan
              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by cs
              And another thing.

I've worked here for 13 years. I get here at 7:00 am (used to be 6:30) and I leave at 5:00 pm. I take an hour lunch. I do this so in case I need to do something that takes longer or I need some time off I can do it. I hardly ever take vacation, my choice.

I like working here because of several reasons. I get a deceant salary. Mine and the family's health and dental is fully paid for. I get a nice 401K plan. They pay me for being away for guard and even when it is more than 2 weeks. They actually support the guard and what I do there. If I need extra time off I can take it. If I need a longer lunch I can take it. If I needed money the boss would lend it to me out of his personal money.

The benifts and the boss and most of the people are great. I've worked in sweat shops before and I know a cherry ride when I see it.

I do not take advantage of this genrousity though. Others do. They take 2 or 3 hour lunches. They come in when the please, they leave when they please. They take off half days on Friday. They may not even show up if the boss is out. They take about twice as much vacation as they are suppossed to.

And it is not like they do this every now and than, they do it all the time. That time schedule I posted up top is the norm and they still take 2 or 3 hour lunches.

So yeah I'm bitter about the abuse that these people give a system that is user friendly. I've never worked for a better bunch of people, it is just these others that think they are on central time.

Chad
              Just one off topic comment. You need to use your vacation. Its good for you and your family. Even if you stay at home and work on projects. If you're like me, you have a never ending list of projects, right??? My advice for what its worth.

On topic, while the behavior of the rest of the bunch is truly annoying, you have to worry about the things you can control. Worrying about the rest just gives you a headache. Thats the advice I give my daughter constantly, she knows its right, but man is it hard to accept somedays.

Take care,

Bobby

Comment

• cs
                Elite Invisible Member
                • Feb 2001

I know I should just ignore their issues. You would think that the boss would have a problem with it, or maybe he don't noticte it, or maybe they've worked out some drug deal. All I know is that I work and do my job to the best of my ability.

I keep thinking that I will use my vacation on something meanginful one day. I also try not to use my vacation because of how well they treat me when I need some time off for the guard.

I just really want to kick some of these people right square in the rear.

Chad

Three Little Birds
                Love is My Religion

Comment

• Memphis Mike
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2001

"I hardly ever take vacation, my choice."

You're going to sit down in your rocker one day and it's going to hit you. "All I did with my life was work and now I have this huge 401K savings and I'm too old and crippled up to enjoy it."

Come to the boat show this year. Give yourself a break.

Comment

• cs
                    Elite Invisible Member
                    • Feb 2001

It ain't quite that easy. If it was a matter of just taking time off and going I would be there in a heartbeat, life don't work that way though.

BTW this thread was started with a bit of humor in mind and not one to get me worked up about these folks.

Chad

And that 401 is what will allow me to live my older age in somewhat of comfort and hopefully I will not be a financial burden on the younger generation.

Three Little Birds
                    Love is My Religion

Comment

• Paul Pless
                      pinko commie tree hugger
                      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Memphis Mike
                      Come to the boat show this year. Give yourself a break.
                      Definitely!!! Chad we'd love to see you there.
                      Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Memphis Mike
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2001

Can't you see how you are being treated? Those people don't give a damn about you. They are using you as a doormat.

If it was me, I'd TELL THEM I'm going to the boat show. I'll see ya win I get back.

If they value you as an employee, your job will be there when you get home.

I decided several years ago that I was going to "work to live." Not "live to work."

Comment

• cs
                          Elite Invisible Member
                          • Feb 2001

Mike they don't have a problem with me taking off and going on vacation. The problem is more in the bilfold.

Chad

also I understand live to work not work to live, but my first responsibilty is to make sure I can supply my family with all of their needs and as much of their wants as I can.

Three Little Birds
                          Love is My Religion

Comment

• Memphis Mike
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by cs
                            Mike they don't have a problem with me taking off and going on vacation. The problem is more in the bilfold.

Chad

also I understand live to work not work to live, but my first responsibilty is to make sure I can supply my family with all of their needs and as much of their wants as I can.
                            You've done a good job. You deserve a break but whatever. If you don't enjoy life now, you will be sorry later. This ain't no dress rehersal.

Comment

• cs
                              Elite Invisible Member
                              • Feb 2001

Yeah I know. I keep thinking something is going to have to change. I'm about worn down, but I have to keep plugging along to make both ends meet in the middle.

Maybe it is just the winter talking. I can't get out to do anything. And when it does warm up a little bit it rains or I have drill or something.

But it ain't all gloom and doom so don't go fretting there. We are getting ready to do some stuff for the family that will help.

Chad

Three Little Birds
                              Love is My Religion

Comment

Working...