PDA

View Full Version : Turning Back the Clock . . .

Ian McColgin
02-04-2008, 10:36 PM
. . . subtitled "Hot Wars and Media Populism" is a collection of articles and speeches by Umberto Eco from the first five years of this century. [A Passo di Gambero, RCS Libri SpA (2006) tr. Alastair McEwen, Harcourt, Inc. (2007)]

I’ve read “The Name of the Rose”, “Foucault’s Pendulum”, “Kant and the Platypus” and some other bits which did nothing to prepare me for how accessible this set of little essays is. Too bad Eco’s incidental works don’t get more regularly translated for those of us linguistically challenged.

The essays are collected under grand themes. One could wish some of the regulars here would read the collection titled “The Summa and the Rest” with such entries as “On the Soul of the Embryo”, “Hands off My Son!” (a brilliantly funny review of Mel Gibson’s Passion) or “Those who Don’t Believe in God Believe in Everything.”

In light of the endless thread that’s not actually about the Rapture, his closing essay “On the Disadvantages and Advantages of Death” seems especially apt.

Worth at least taking out of your local library.

skuthorp
02-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Thank You Ian, how nice to come across another reader of Umberto Ecco. His books can be hard to find here with the exception of a couple of small bookshops.

Ian McColgin
02-04-2008, 10:48 PM
I read somewhere that Eco's grandfather was a foundling, parentage unknown, and the last name was assigned to stand for Ex Caelus Oblatus. As indeed he is.