PDA

View Full Version : 3m 5200 - what is it with this stuff?

JimD
08-15-2003, 11:00 PM
I don't get it. What is this stuff supposed to be used for? Why does it always seem to show up in places on boats that would seemingly be better off without it? Is it a glue? Is it a bedding compound with a serious attitude problem?

Venchka
08-15-2003, 11:07 PM
Enquiring minds want to know. I have wracked my brain trying to figure out where you would use the stuff. Folks are always asking how to get the stuff apart. Are there applications where you need near or beyond epoxy adhesion?

bret
08-15-2003, 11:53 PM
Boats worked just fine for thousands of years without "5200", "cpes", or any other smoosh man has oozed. Traditional construction=tradition fix. Cheap, simple,go fish.

TimH
08-16-2003, 07:02 AM
5200 is good for putting airplanes together if you dont want to use rivets. smile.gif

N. Scheuer
08-16-2003, 07:37 AM
#M 5200 is a "polyurethane adhesive sealant". Along with one or other o the SIKAFLEX compounds, it is about the best there is for adhesive quality.

Rubber-type urethane adhesives are "gap-filling" and so are very useful for bedding wood components onto fiberglass moldings so that exact fits are not necessary. Filled epoxy will work there, too, but 5200 will absorb shock loads, and different rates of expansion-contractions better than epoxy.

In cored fiberglass decks, where any leakage under the many fittings fastened all over the deck will result in core rot (unless the core is a synthetic, like Airex) 5200 and Sikaflex really shine.

I consider people who whine about how difficult 5200 is to remove mere wimps. I've removed lots of stuff bedded in 5200 over the years on several boats.

5200? Don't go sailing without it! Moby Nick

On Vacation
08-16-2003, 07:41 AM
Its great to beleive in traditional construction. Its great to be able to take the boat apart with ease. There is also reasons to take the boat apart with ease. Its called rot. Why is rot there in the first place? Many times its the lack of proper bedding for joints and pieces to hold fresh water to create the situation for rot to form.
Boats held together for ions without it. But many hours of maintainance was required and redundant work of fixing was involved to keep old boats going. There are places and times for everything. You cannot compare the methods of a fifty year old boat to one built new today with update materials. Proper construction and proper rebuilding, sometimes will give you more hours on the water.

edited to add that 5200 will release from wet wood like mush, if the wood is soaked from improper workmanship, anyway. Ever wonder why people cuss it? Its doing the job you want it to do. Its gives you a lot of strength in working loads without all the problems you get in boats built and maintained with cotton.

[ 08-16-2003, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Oyster ]

On Vacation
08-16-2003, 07:52 AM
In many cases, the folks that stuff it in an old hull between the planks, will cuss it. There is soiled wood, and it doesn't have the component to bond and do its job. Then in removal, you are fighting the solid and cured, flexable properties of it. Its like a punching bag. Tough and rugged, and last longer than you will wrestling with it. ;)

pjwalsh
08-16-2003, 07:50 PM
5200 is an excellent adhesive and sealer. Great stuff to use if you want to permanently bond two objects together. It sticks to just about anything and is so tough and resilient that the joint is not likely to ever fail. It can be removed albeit with some cussing. I think the bad rap comes from folks who mistake it for a bedding compound and use it to seal objects that will need to be removed.