PDA

View Full Version : How to file?

cs
02-01-2008, 10:08 AM
I've always thought that I was fairly smart and understood how a filing system works, but I guess not.

So clear this up for me, our receptionist will not. She just said I didn't have a clue on how to file and she would take care of it.

Example is with the AT&T file. To me I would file this in the file between Associated & before Atlas.

But I think she wants it filed at the begining of the A's, after A-1 and before ABC Supply.

I'm confussed. Being as I did take Filing 101 in college I don't know how to file.

Chad

John of Phoenix
02-01-2008, 10:11 AM
It's like this - Secretaries are in charge of filing. Period.

capt jake
02-01-2008, 10:13 AM
I always ask for the file and then ask them to re-file it. ;) I ain't no dummy. ;) :)

S.V. Airlie
02-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Chad.. It is kinda like a telephone book...Just open up one and see how names are listed...

cs
02-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Kinda of a double edged sword here. I'v I go up and ask for a file she calls me helpless and tells me I know where the files are and to get them myself. But if I pull a file out and forget excatly where she had it I get called an idot and told I don't know how to file and to stay out of the filing cabinets.

Go figure.

Chad

cs
02-01-2008, 10:18 AM
That is what gets me, in my phone book AT&T comes after Atlas. I would have filed it before Atlas because there is a break (&) between the to "T"s. Our receptionist would have put it at the front of the phone book.

Chad

S.V. Airlie
02-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Kinda of a double edged sword here. I'v I go up and ask for a file she calls me helpless and tells me I know where the files are and to get them myself. But if I pull a file out and forget excatly where she had it I get called an idot and told I don't know how to file and to stay out of the filing cabinets.

Go figure.

Chad

She's a woman Chad... :rolleyes:

Dan McCosh
02-01-2008, 10:19 AM
It's a simple form of job security. You can't fire her, because she is the only one who knows where anything is.

Bruce Hooke
02-01-2008, 10:24 AM
My take is that there is no one completely agreed upon solution to these questions. Is AT&T short for American Telephone and Telegraph and does it thus get filed under "American," or is it a stand alone abbreviation. So, lacking one universal standard, what you need is a standard for your office. If the secretary handles most of the filing it probably makes sense for her to set the standard, but she should be willing to say what the standard is. It probably does not make sense to push too hard on the point that her standard might not be the only "right" way -- no point in beating her down -- but you should not have to go to her to get a file from the filing cabinet or return it there.

One little work-around would be to, when you take a file out of the cabinet, make a light penciled note on the front of the file regarding what file it was next to, if there is any doubt.

S.V. Airlie
02-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Bruce.. that is true but I sense that she is getting a kick outta watching Chad spin...;)

cs
02-01-2008, 10:33 AM
You hit the nail right on the head. She gets her jollys outta giving me a hard time. She has admitted as much.

If I ask her to do anything for me (i.e. mailing, filing, printing reports etc) she chews me out for not being able to do my own work (yet she does it for everyone else). And she will do this for me, she just likes to give me a hard time.

Drives me absoulutly insane.

Chad

S.V. Airlie
02-01-2008, 10:35 AM
You hit the nail right on the head. She gets her jollys outta giving me a hard time. She has admitted as much.

If I ask her to do anything for me (i.e. mailing, filing, printing reports etc) she chews me out for not being able to do my own work (yet she does it for everyone else). And she will do this for me, she just likes to give me a hard time.

Chad

And then you spend time in the Bilge.. Sorry Chad, you are over the edge and beyond insane...;)

Bruce Hooke
02-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Sounds like sort of an annoying person. Sometimes, with a person like that, the best approach is to reply in kind. Josh them about their strange filing system rather than caving in. Of course you have to be more careful about this when you are senior to the person in question -- it is easier to get away with some ribbing when it is going the other direction. So, another solution is just to not really respond...just let it roll off you and move on. If you just sort of say "yeah, yeah, OK, just let me know when its ready" she may not find it as fun to give you a hard time. Another solution is just to take it on and say "yeah, I don't know how to do it, so that's why I need you to do it" -- in other words, gently make fun of yourself.

John of Phoenix
02-01-2008, 10:41 AM

Chad
OMG!! She has a crush on you! :D

S.V. Airlie
02-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Yup, John is right.. We are now getting down to the underlying reasons here for this happening to Chad...

Okay Chad, post a picture of her.. We wantta know DETAILS! Oh and throw in a few statistics while you are at it...;)

Beowolf
02-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Dude,

John completely beat me to the punch on this one. But I'm not above piling on.

Someone's got a crush on Cha-ad!
Someone's got a crush on Cha-ad!

He he he...

Seriously though. First thing I've always taught my interns. Secretaries and custodians keep the building intact. I'm fortunate to have a great crew of both in my building, and on occasion, I've taken some good natured lumps from both. Grin and bear it, and sometimes sling a little back at them to remind them that they're loved.

Jeff.

Tylerdurden
02-01-2008, 10:56 AM
File by shutoff date.

Tom Robb
02-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Any subordinate calling you an idiot ought to fired on the spot.
BTW, it's AT&T; the abreviation became a name some time ago in a fit of trying to become less starchy and old school.

Hughman
02-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Yup. She likes you. Or, she hates you.

Two sides of the same coin, and these two positions can flip at any time.

So. Introduce her to your wife. :eek: That should stop any speculation on her part.

Or, Have your daughter work shadow her on "bring your kid to work day" :D

This is a people problem, not a work problem.

Hwyl
02-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Chad, I think it's fairly normal to have "keepers", just file folders with an insert slot on them. When you take a file, insert a keeper in its place, maybe with a little note in the insert "Chad Smith has the Gareth Hughes lecherous activities file", then when you put it back, you know you put it where you found it.

Concordia...41
02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Just like any industry, there are filing standards and guidelines. I forget who the organizing (pun intended) authority is, but it should be found easily enough.

McGregor's Handbook for Office Management (or something similar) comes to mind. Also Bruce, rules do change. I can tell when someone went to school (age) by how they do their filing and punctuation as both have changed.

Bruce told his age because I don't think the spelling out of a name is current vogue (too many acronyms and abbreviated names).

Anyway, the book is law. Everyone in the office files by that system. Period.

Make a game out of it. I bet you're right on a couple of things and I bet she's right on a couple. However, the object of filing is that everyone does it the same. Ya folla? ;)

elf
02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Bookmarks certainly don't hurt, especially if they're signed. That way another person can find the file if it's out on someone's desk, as well.

Memphis Mike
02-01-2008, 12:12 PM
It's a simple form of job security. You can't fire her, because she is the only one who knows where anything is.

Exactly and that's why they constantly move and change everything around so you don't know where a damn thing is at.:confused::mad:

Thorne
02-01-2008, 12:23 PM
www.niso.org/standards/resources/tr03.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collation

Compound words and special characters

A complication in alphabetical sorting can arise due to disagreements over how groups of words (separated compound words (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_%28linguistics%29), names (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name), titles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title), etc.) should be ordered. One rule is to remove spaces for purposes of ordering, another is to consider a space (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_%28punctuation%29) as a character that is ordered before numbers and letters (this method is consistent with ordering by ASCII or Unicode codepoint), and a third is to order a space after numbers and letters. Given the following strings to alphabetize — "catch", "cattle", "cat food" — the first rule produces "catch" "cat food" "cattle", the second "cat food" "catch" "cattle", and the third "catch" "cattle" "cat food". The first rule is used in most (but not all) dictionaries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictionary), the second in telephone directories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_directory) (so that Wilson, Jim K appears with other people named Wilson, Jim and not after Wilson, Jimbo). The third rule is rarely used.
A similar complication arises when special characters such as hyphens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen) or apostrophes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe) appear in words or names. Any of the same rules as above can be used in this case as well; however, the strict ASCII sorting no longer corresponds exactly to any of the rules.

George Roberts
02-01-2008, 12:35 PM
It is nice to know that sorting is taken seriously by some.

When we had paper files, my wife would have me refile client files. She was happy if I got the first letter correct.

Paul Pless
02-01-2008, 12:37 PM
you guys have seen chad's signature line haven't you???

cs
02-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Say it ain't so guys. I definitly don't need yet another women in my life to complicate things. :rolleyes::eek:

BTW after posting this I got yelled at for putting the generic "B" folder at the front of the B's instead of the back. I think I will fall back on that old saying "If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen." :p

BTW Paul my tag line is not just a signature, but a way of life.

Chad

hokiefan
02-01-2008, 12:46 PM
I haven't seen a secretary or receptionist in years. We have a few Administrative Assistants, but they accomplish a lot more than the old school secretary. And with the advent of email, no one writes a memo or letter anymore.

The good ones put the truth in the old line,

"Do you want to speak to the man in charge, or the women who knows whats going on?"

Chad, you can't let it get to you. People only kid around with people they like.

Cheers,

Bobby

capt jake
02-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Say it ain't so guys. I definitly don't need yet another women in my life to complicate things. :rolleyes::eek:

BTW after posting this I got yelled at for putting the generic "B" folder at the front of the B's instead of the back. I think I will fall back on that old saying "If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen." :p

BTW Paul my tag line is not just a signature, but a way of life.

Chad

Back to my original post..

I always ask for the file and then ask them to re-file it. ;) I ain't no dummy. ;) :)

cs
02-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Big problem is if I ask for a file or get it myself doesn't matter, she still likes to give me a hard time. So I'll just go hungry. :D

BTW it don't really bother me, just drives me insane.

Chad

capt jake
02-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Give her a hard time back, it sometimes works. Or, be super duper nice! That drives most people nuts. :)

David Tabor (sailordave)
02-01-2008, 12:59 PM
And when she tells you you don't know how to do something, just say "yep, that's why I have you, and that's why I do my job and you don't."
Course you might want to soften that up a bit, but that's the gist of it; she has her specialty and you have yours.

cs
02-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Kinda funny. When I try and give her a hard time back she gets mad at me and don't talk to me for a week. Those are indeed good days. :D

Really it is kinda of a game to her. She get pissed becaue everyone trys to put their work off on her. She sees stuff like people taking a letter that needs to go out and giving it to her to put in the envelope that they have already prepeared. Or people handing her stuff to fax instead of doing it themselves.

She knows I won't do this to her and so when I ask for help she likes to give me a hard time. All in fun in games but drives me insane.

Chad

hokiefan
02-01-2008, 01:06 PM
I used to work with a plant controller who had a challenging personality. I found that if I said, "I need you to do this for me." I got a ration of crap and it may or may not get done. As a note, she was not a subordinate, we were in effect peers. But if I went in her office and said, "I have a problem, can you help me work it out?" I got everything I needed and usually some extra helpfull information and suggestions. Don't know if this applies here, but it was a valuable lesson to learn.

Cheers,

Bobby

Vince Brennan
02-01-2008, 08:57 PM

Chad

OMG! I think SHE'S really Dutch!