Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phillip Allen
    • May 2002

Snow

Schools have already been called off. Sleet and ice started before 0600 and is expected to continue as snow for an accululation of 8 inches...100% chance of precip

This is Arkansas and we have relitively little road clearing equipment

I'm bettin MMike got some already too
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.
  • Popeye
    speedo
    • Jun 2003

Re: Snow

par for the course here , newscasts occasionally show snow 'storms' in places like london and tel aviv , basically an inch or two shutting down the entire city

your snowfall sounds a bit more serious

Comment

• Phillip Allen
      • May 2002

The most I remember ever getting here was 13 inches...over a day or so. While I was overseas though, we had 12 fall in 4 hours once...folks got stranded on remote roads
      The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Comment

• Popeye
        speedo
        • Jun 2003

not so big a deal , i guess , you sound like you are becoming used to it , hope everyone is prepared and geared up

the weather forecasts are very accurate these days , so lots of warning

Comment

• Phillip Allen
          • May 2002

The snow, she is comin down! This wasn't suppose to start before noon and it's only 0820 now

Comment

• Milo Christensen
            Banned
            • May 2006

NWS just issued an addition to their "WINTER STORM WARNING" to include a "HEAVY SNOW WARNING", which is a little unusual and usually means we're going to get dumped on.

Comment

• Tylerdurden
              Banned
              • Jul 2006

We are looking at decent weather above freezing this weekend.
              I have some welding to do and some shop cleaning.
              I know its not in the 50's but I will take what I can get this time of the year.

Comment

• Tylerdurden
                Banned
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Norman Bernstein
                I think I've been jaded by having gone through the famous Blizzard of '78 here in Massachusetts. My hometown was the epicenter; we had 48" of snow, in a contuous fall, that lasted 36 hours. At the beginning, it fell so fast, cars on Rt 128, the major circumferential highway around boston, were snowed in place, and the MA National Guard had to rescue them. In my driveway, a 1976 Celica and a 1970 MGB were so totally covered, there was NO trace of their existence, not even a telltale bulge in the snow cover.... it took a full day of shoveling just to clear a single path to reach them. My wife and I used cross country skis to reach the nearest supermarket on day 3. The state was effectively closed for a ful week, and driving was banned; my wife had a waiver, because she was director of medical records at a local hospital... but it made no difference, because the street had 48" of snow on it. At the end of the week, the contractor who built our house came with front end loaders and cleared the road.

Thankfully, we never lost power, and had ample heating oil. I think back wistfully.... at the time, I was annoyed and bored, but I wouldn't mind being snowed in for a week if it happened again.
                I worked at a small airport and we used a deuce and a half to plow the runway. Instead we plowed for the town that storm and I made a ton of cash. Hauled Nurses to work too.That was worth doing for free.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                  • May 2002

We're sending it up your way

Comment

• Milo Christensen
                    Banned
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Tylerdurden
                    I worked at a small airport and we used a deuce and a half to plow the runway. . . .
                    Before there was NWA there was a regional airline (North Central) flying out of the Houghton County, Michigan airport (look for the "little thumb" sticking north into Lake Superior). Houghton County routinely gets 200+ inches of snow a winter (defined as every month but August). I was waiting for my GF at the time to fly back in from Christmas break. It was snowing and blowing and snowing some more. The maintenance folks were on the ground floor and in direct speaker connection with the Blue Goose pilots in the air. There were three big snowplows with high speed sand spreaders parked in a v pointing down the runway. The ruptured duck pilots would announce final approach, the plows would roar down the runway and the plane would land seconds behind them - visibility, 100 feet.

Comment

Working...