PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I think I talk just to feel the dead space

cs
01-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Every morning I ask the kid if she has her house key. Every morning I get the same response without her even checking, "Yes."

Well I guess she just answers me so that I will shut up. She called today and said that she was locked out. I asked her about the hideway key and I guess she was also locked out earlier this week and thus the hideway key is sitting next to her house key in her bedroom.

Teenagers, gotta love 'em.

Chad

Paul Pless
01-25-2008, 04:04 PM
somebody say something???;)

seanz
01-25-2008, 04:04 PM
You're to nice.
A lesser man would have called an estate agent and said "I want a For Sale sign at my house, pronto!"
:D

cs
01-25-2008, 04:19 PM
BTW I know I have a misspelling in my thread title.

Oh and she will just have to wait till I get home before she can go in.

Chad

Gary E
01-25-2008, 04:41 PM
And this is the kid that you are allowing to soon drive a car???

CharlieCobra
01-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Having raise 8 kids through teenagehood, I can assure you, this is normal and lasts through the 20's as well.

George Roberts
01-25-2008, 04:57 PM
We all have days like that.

Sometimes we make the call asking for the keys. Sometimes we deliver the keys.

Greg P H
01-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Next time call DHS.....

bamamick
01-25-2008, 05:44 PM
keys. That's the only reason that we never locked anyone out. Now that I live in this cabin in a swamp I am locking the doors, and even though we probably have seven or eight keys for this place I have been locked out three times that I can remember. Makes me really angry. I have never lost a car key in my life but I can never seem to wind up taking the set of keys with the house key on it.

In other words, blow off the steam and remember that she is just a kid, and a human kid at that.

I am quite sure that that's exactly what you did :).

Mickey Lake

paladin
01-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Welcome to fatherhood....it gets worse....so far it's been easy.......but the nice thing about grandcritters is you can send them home to mom and dad and get even.

elf
01-25-2008, 10:26 PM
I stopped doing that by about age 13 or so. But then I learned to pick the lock, too. Always good to have a backup...

And yes, she should have to wait. And if she loses a key she should have to pay for the replacement.

And I don't think Rich's solution is at all satisfactory. They don't learn much from that except that Dad's will throw money at every problem and they don't have to do anything at all for creating the problem.

People gotta start learning responsiblity for themselves and their stuff as early as possible. Look at what's happened to the country because George Sr. didn't teach George, Jr. to keep track of his stuff.

cs
01-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Well she called me at 3:30 and I told her to go wait at her friend's house and I would call her when I got home. Well at about 4:30 she called me and asked if I was almost home. Of course I was still at work. Her friend wasn't home and she had been waiting outside in the cold (and yes it was cold) for an hour waiting for me to get home. Her lips were just about blue when I got home. Had to laugh at her a bit.

Chad

S/V Laura Ellen
01-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Chad: If that's all you have to whine about, you've got a great kid. Don't sweat the small stuff.

cs
01-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Oh I ain't whineing. Just always amazed at how little they listen to us adults. Seems like as we get older we forget that at one time we also didn't listen to our parents. Little reminders like this are okay and kinda funny. At least I had a little laugh at her expense.

Chad

Michael Beckman
01-26-2008, 12:01 AM
I have locked myself out of my truck twice in as many weeks. Never had a problem before this really. I just borrowed a wire clotheshanger from a friend and picked the back slider window open with it. >_>

George Jung
01-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Growing up through the teens is a tough time; and if you've a smart kid, I think there's a tendency to forget just how young (and inexperienced) they are; you just assume they're on your (old fart) wavelength. They'll get old soon enough; enjoy the good times (to remember when she's out of the house, and with her own family, and you're an even older fart, waiting for the phone call yourself!). These ARE the good ol' days, sonny!

adampet
01-26-2008, 08:56 AM
You lock your door?

Adam

Tylerdurden
01-26-2008, 09:04 AM
My middle daughter is away at school. Last week I get a call that she just got a warning for an inspection sticker.
I said "I told you at Christmas to get it inspected"
"I know I forgot"
"well get it inspected"
"It makes a noise"
"What kind of noise"
"I Dunno"
"well get it inspected and I will come down and fix what needs fixing"

This week.
"Sweetie, did you find out about the car"
"What about the car dad"
"inspection?"
"oh Yeah, Its done It passed"