PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite memory actually making something

ishmael
01-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Mine is working with old white pine, and newer black walnut. We'd harvested the walnut and I let it dry well. First experience with hand-cut dovetails making the box out of walnut. The top was this spectacular, old, white pine out of a house I was working on, made into a bread board. Wide between the nails, maybe a foot and a half, but the color was something you don't make with stains. I made it for my wife of the time for Christmas. I hope she still has it, 'cause it was pretty good.

Sold that stock during a move, for too cheap.

Tylerdurden
01-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Having built so much I can easily say building things for the kids where my best times. Watching the son on his EV go cart or the daughters rowing a boat makes it worthwhile no matter how cool any commercial projects were.
Having the kids in the neighborhood say "Seans dad is cool" is better than any money or awards from my peers.

Milo Christensen
01-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Building things with my kids. The treedeck, the canoes, snowforts.

Tealsmith
01-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Making raised panel doors was cool the first time.

Bruce Taylor
01-23-2008, 11:54 AM
The first time I bent a set of guitar sides gave me a real buzz (propane fumes, maybe :D).

David G
01-23-2008, 06:43 PM
A lot of good memories. One that stands out was one if my first lathe projects. Making a cherry cradle with raised panel lower area and spindled upper rim. The idea of creating a bunch of identical spindles was daunting, but when I got to it, I fell into a zen-zone where I was at one with the process. Dead accurate every time... and quick. Cool - but just as memorable was hitting the tiny pockets of cherry pitch and infusing my brain with the fresh, absolutely delicious aroma. Seems like describing it doesn't make it sound like much, but it definitely was a Peak Experience.

"Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort" -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

LeeG
01-23-2008, 07:45 PM
ninth grade metal shop, using the lathe to turn a handle for a small hack saw, aluminum castings in sand, making black powder rocket engines.

rbgarr
01-23-2008, 08:02 PM
A Scout/church project: built a bridge for a stream and got a badge and Bible for the effort. There was a swing across the stream close by and it became a game to 'do a circuit' as fast as you could - swing across without getting your feet wet, run down and across the bridge and back to the swing. Fastest time won. Endless round robins, even in winter.

skuthorp
01-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Building a timber tankstand, with my grandfather, it was the doing and the sharing I remember not the project. I was pretty young, too young to use the handsaw on big timbers but old enough to take an end on a double handed crosscut saw to cut the stumps from treetrunks.

Ron Williamson
01-23-2008, 08:57 PM
A treehouse that I built with my cousin in July 1981,85'(we measured)up a white pine.
Serious butt pucker on a windy day.
R

Tylerdurden
01-23-2008, 09:28 PM
A treehouse that I built with my cousin in July 1981,85'(we measured)up a white pine.
Serious butt pucker on a windy day.
R

Holy ****e!

Michael Beckman
01-24-2008, 03:03 AM
Probably a fid I made for my (ex)girlfriend last year. I had basically no experience woodworking, but I thought a fid would be cool. Found an old piece of crap lathe, and set it up. Drove to Edensaw, bought a 3 foot piece of purpleheart, cut off a square blank, and roughed out a fid shape with one dull, extremely short chisel. I then used a lot of sandpaper, starting at like 60 grit to get the thing a proper shape and to make the thing a nice straight angle. No wobblies for this one. I then sanded the thing to like 220, and started using some danish oil on wet/dry sandpaper. Did that to 1500 grit. took it off the lathe, cut the ends off, cleaned and shaped the ends with sandpaper and finished it completely. Ended up looking like pure sex, I havent made anything as nice since. Just havent had the motivation I guess.

Runner up would be the crochet hook I made her for her little sisters birthday, also out of purpleheart, and also on the lathe. Carved the hook out with a coping saw and a set of small files.

The Bigfella
01-24-2008, 04:09 AM
Well, I guess my favourite memory of actually making something - would be my memory of making my daughter. I remember that. I wish I could say the same about making the boys, but I can't.

Popeye
01-24-2008, 09:14 AM
made a queen ann foot stool once, got the patterns out of a furniture book i got from the liberry, penciled them gridwise onto a busted up mildewy piece of masonite i found buried down in the basement and then came up with some red mahogany offcuts, for cheap, from a specialty hardwood dealer going out of business

didn't have a band saw to do a good job cutting out the legs or sides , did it all by rocking , buzzing and burning an old worn out fine tooth jigsaw thru 2 inches of wood , spent the rest of the time with a half round rasp and then sanding down to the last fingertipped sized of whatever sandpaper was lying around , mostly emery cloth

upholstered a plywood seat for it with foam and damasque

turned out nice , very dainty , my girlfriend didn't pay too much attention to it , it's downstairs ... somewhere

JBreeze
01-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Back in 1965 I built a 14' flat bottom canoe from plans in Popular Mechanics when I was in the 7th grade, using some paper route profits. Guys at the lumber yard humored me and offered to cut one piece of ply into 4 strips for the sides, and the other into 2 pieces that would eventually be the bottom.

Only way to get the lumber home was to lay the lumber across the handlebars and seat of the bicycle and "walk" the bike two miles.

Also learned about resourcinal (sp?) resin glue back then. Used a jig saw and a screwdriver (and a paintbrush) for tools.

Dad was skeptical, and although he was a navy vet, the family had never spent any time on any type of boat. I think he was suprised when it floated and didn't leak!

hokiefan
01-24-2008, 12:33 PM
My Dad and I (mostly him, but I did help!) built a canvas covered kakak from plans we got from Boys Life. Was more of a decked canoe dimensionally, but we had a lot of fun with the boat.

During the building process we used to hang the frame in the ceiling at night so Mom could still park in the garage. At first it was just two big eye bolts with cheap braided cotton rope to hold it up, wasn't very heavy. Then one night one rope broke and I saved the boat frame with my head :eek:. First time I ever heard Dad cuss was as he carried me into the house, apparently with an real upset look on his face and Mom asked him what happened. "The d*$% boat fell on Bobby's head." First expletive I ever heard from him. So off to the ER for a checkup, had a minor concussion. The project the next night was a set of blocks and some better line.:)

Anyway, good memories all in all.

Bobby