PDA

View Full Version : Robbed.

goodbasil
01-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Last friday,(Jan.11) I leave for work at 10am. Didn't come home but went after to my daughter's place and stayed there since she and her husband had to go to Kelowna to repair a computer. While in the motel some jerk busts the drivers window to get about $2 in change.
So I get home the next day at noon and some jerk has managed to crowbar my balcony door, took my Toshiba laptop and a couple of cameras. (About $2,000.) And left a Gatorade bottle.
Now what do I do? No point in calling the VPD it's beyond their capablities to do anything. I still have the phone # and two witnesses from the last breakin but they did nothing. I think that of all the places I've lived and visted, the VPD is the most inept police force, and the Mounties aren't much better. Sure, if you have a kidnapping or shootout then they're quicklike, but of course that's real police work. Maybe I should call the cops in another city, they haven't let me down yet.

Yeadon
01-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Someone broke in and left behind a gatorade bottle? Shouldn't the police be able to lift a print from that?

willmarsh3
01-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Sorry you had this happen.

I got my house broken into once. They took a bike, computer and TV. I called the police and when I got home and discovered the break-in. They took a report. I called in a claim to my homeowner's insurance to get it reimbursed. I'm not sure if it works that way in Canada. Did you have the serial number for your computer? If so it might help. I think the police everywhere prioritize their work by putting murders and violence above burglaries. Occasionally though I hear of a burglar being arrested after there have been several break-ins in a neighborhood.

Good luck and hope things work out.

Bruce Hooke
01-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm very sorry this happened to you.

In a case like this, at least based on how things work in the U.S., really the key reasons to call the police are:

1. So that you have the police report to use to file a claim with your homeowner's insurance. Without such a report you will have a much harder time making a claim.

2. So that if by some off chance they find the stuff that was stolen, they have a record of who it belongs to. As Will noted, this will matter more if you have a record of the serial numbers on the items stolen.

George Roberts
01-19-2008, 05:21 PM
I suspect the police have more important things to do than chase down either $2 in change or a $2000 computer.

Many people buy insurance for such situations.

Yeadon
01-19-2008, 05:30 PM
I suspect the police have more important things to do than chase down either $2 in change or a $2000 computer.

Many people buy insurance for such situations.

Like what? Like not doing their job?

Paul Pless
01-19-2008, 05:35 PM
I kinda agree with George on this. Police forces and sheriff departments aren't focused on what they used to be focused on. The shift happened about the same time they all started wearing Marine Corps style haircuts and the combat gear that goes with it. Para military thugs.

Tylerdurden
01-19-2008, 05:42 PM
I prefer not to rely on the police so I let the German Shepard take care of things while I am away.
The other option is to get one of those call home programs to load into the camera. You can track it down later and decide if a little payback is in order.

Larry P.
01-19-2008, 06:43 PM
If I were you I would check out a couple of local pawnshops over the next few days to see if your stuff showed up. If it does call the police and demand that they come to the shop.

ishmael
01-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear this.

I've never been robbed: car, person or house. Knock wood. Having a stranger inside your home, even when you are gone, must feel awful.

I'd let the cops know if for no other reason that they may be working on similar break ins and your info might help the investigation. Fingerprints off the Gatorade bottle might help at some point, too.

There's been an increase in break ins, mostly at seasonal camps, around here of late. When they get caught it's almost always young men strung out on drugs looking for something easy to fence so they can get their next fix.

Tealsmith
01-19-2008, 07:29 PM
So sorry for you. It happened to us 7 years ago. The jerk took my favorite bass guitar, lots of CD's and a couple of my wife's diamonds. (not big diamonds but family heirlooms) More importantly he took peace of mind.

Spin_Drift
01-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Sorry it happened to you. I know how bad and violated you must feel.

You mentioned a previous break in, maybe it would behoove you to move to a safer neighborhood...

Or get burglary alarms that are connected directly to the police station so if someone opens the door or window, it will immediately ring at the cop shop and they WILL come under this arrangement...

Or consider a guard dog...

Paul Pless
01-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.that's a great line...

jack grebe
01-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Sorry this had to happen to you, no sense in getting
upset. That doesn't change a thing. Just consider it a re-distribution of wealth and move on.

Robbie 2
01-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Sorry to hear but remember that possessions can be replaced...YOU can't...maybe it was good that you were away and not home at the time
Regards
Robbie:)

Paul Pless
01-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Just consider it a re-distribution of wealth and move on.Jack, that's a big 'no no' in the bilge, and you damn well know it. Democrats and social engineering practices are never, not ever to to be equated with thieves.:rolleyes:;)

jack grebe
01-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Jack, that's a big 'no no' in the bilge,
There's no no's down here:confused::D

George Jung
01-19-2008, 11:20 PM
You're a pip, GR! empathy is thy name....

Apparently it is possible to 'find' your laptop if the thief goes on-line with it; I don't recall how, but my niece's husband, a computer guy, got his back (something about watching for the computer registering when on-line), doing just that. There's also a homing device (?) that you can put in your computer. Good luck.

George Roberts
01-20-2008, 11:59 AM
"Like what? Like not doing their job?"

I call the police every couple years to deal with my neighbor's dogs who are allowed to run free including on my property.

The police hate coming out. They now come in pairs - in two cars.

They keep me from killing the dogs, the neighbors coming out to threaten me, and me taking the treat seriously and killing the neighbors in self-defense. (After my most recent complaint one neighbor with dogs moved away. So something works.)

As I said the police have much more important issues to deal with. Most of those issues don't even appear in the police reports.

---

George Jung ---

Empathy is not necessary. Most people learn to deal with issues like theft.

Yeadon
01-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Apparently, you keep them very busy.

puffin3
01-20-2008, 02:40 PM
I have a 12 guage with a rifled barrel for shooting deer. Let me know if you find the thief and I'll Priority Post it to you.

botebum
01-20-2008, 03:05 PM
The truth is- You are a victim until you are proactive. Then you become the aggressor. Best answer- Hit'em the first time and bury'em deep and STFU!

Doug