View Full Version : Paint vs. Paint

Tom Barnatt
03-08-2002, 07:01 AM
Was wondering whether a good quality (Ben. Moore) oil based paint will work for deck, benches, floor boards, interior hull.It holds up really well on my "wood" house, although i don't live on the water like the boat will for 5-6 mo. :rolleyes: It's an all wood cat boat,day sailer, cedar on oak. Is it really necessary to use "marine" grade on the topsides. Just trying to cut down on the cost of this paint job i'm about to start.Although i'll never cut corner's if i shouldn't. I don't mind painting her every year either. Call me crazy but i love the maintenance of this great 40 yr. old floating piece of heaven.That's what my wife calls it anyway!! smile.gif

Scott Rosen
03-08-2002, 08:06 AM

The BM exterior oil paints are good quality. You'd get fine results on your boat. Most house paints, though, are not as flexible as a good marine paint, and not as abrasion resistant either. If you repaint every year, you should be okay.

But don't fall victim to false economy. The best marine paint is made by George Kirby. His prices are about the same as your local dealers charge for the BM and other name-brand oil-based paints. Why use BM when you can have Kirby's for the same price?

508 997-9008

www.kirbypaint.com (http://www.kirbypaint.com)

03-08-2002, 08:29 AM
I'm gonna put your bias to the test Scott. smile.gif After a long discussion here about what ezakly is mast buff I called Kirby who knew the color by name and number. He will match it, Interlux's Hatteras White, and his own bottle green and send me a quart of each of about $60. Ya can't beat it. Mr Kirby said the paint was pretty thick and would need to be thinned. With what I ask. He said they make their own thinner which is a mix of turps, dryers, and rats! I forget the rest, but he said you can use penetrol up to about 10%.

I think we are on to something here.

Tom Dugan
03-08-2002, 08:37 AM
Rats, eh? How do they sand out? :D

Just to stir the pot a little, let's not forget http://home.att.net/~DaveCarnell/articles.html

Ta ta!

Tom Barnatt
03-08-2002, 10:34 AM
Scott, Thanks for the advise. I have George Kirby's color chart but have not yet looked at cost. It only makes sense to go with his if it's close to the cost of BM. We're going to take a drive (an hour or so) down to see him soon to talk paint for our boat. He doesn't have the variety of colors like BM, but they are more traditional. He did say custom colors are no problem too.
The boat goes into our garage (boat shop ;) ) on the 16th or 17th of March for paint prep. etc. etc. can't wait. Summers coming!

Bob Cleek
03-08-2002, 11:33 AM
In my not inconsiderable experience painting boats, I'd say that I get about twice as much paint by volume when thinned out of quality marine paint than I ever do out of even high quality house paint. You take BM or Rustoleum or others I've used and when you thin them and so on, you maybe come up with a quart and a third out of every quart can of raw paint. With the marine grades, you end up with maybe two quarts. There's more paint in a can of Kirby's, or other quality marine grades than there is in house paint. Strange, but true.

Tom Barnatt
03-08-2002, 12:26 PM
Bob, Are you saying that you must thin marine paint, or are just able to get more if thinned? Should first few coats be thinner and thin less with each coat? What about the primer, that seals the wood, so is it still necessary to thin the first few top coat's ?

Is there some reason why paint would be made so thick it would require thinning? Just wondering. :confused: Thanks

03-08-2002, 06:15 PM
To further this topic:
How does Kirby's compare to Interluxe's top enamels (Brightside poly, toplac) in gloss retention and abrasion resistance?

03-08-2002, 07:31 PM
I put Brightside on Prairie Islander's deck. It did not take much thinning. Mr. Kirby says thin out his paint and put on several coats.

Scott Rosen
03-09-2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by mariner2k:
How does Kirby's compare to Interluxe's top enamels?
marinerTwice as good. Half the cost.

One caveat. Kirby's gloss will not give you a super-duper plastic looking shine the way the polyurathanes will. It has a more subtle sheen which works great with traditional boats. For abrasion resistance, it's tough as nails.

03-09-2002, 07:15 AM
the good part is I'm less than an hour away from Kirby's. I perhaps should have mentioned that I am using it as a finish with the non skid decking over and epoxy/glass subdecking..
This is why I am looking for a durable finih paint.

Ian G Wright
03-09-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by mariner2k:
I'm less than an hour away from Kirby's.Good, just run over and ask 'em if they have a UK agent will you? Hm? Ta.

Bob Cleek
03-09-2002, 01:21 PM
Golly... ah... yea, paint is ALWAYS thinned out of the can. I can't imagine getting a decent finish unless paint is properly thinned and prepared before application. Paint in the can is sort of a "concentrated" product, really. I suppose they make it as thick as anybody could conceiveably ever use it, and expect you to thin it down from there. Dunno why, but that's how it is. The thinners are volatile and evaporate. Perhaps the manufacturers keep them below the point where they "flash" too easily. Whatever the reason, damn straight, you better thin your paint before you use it! A number of properly thinned coats is always preferable to one too-thick coat. If you don't properly thin your paint, you can expect poor leveling, lousey overlap messes, sags, orange peeling and lots of brush marks. Don't go there!

03-09-2002, 04:53 PM
By the way, Tom and Mariner, when you get to New Bedford and think you're nearly there, you're not.

I had directions. After about 25 minutes of searching, I stopped at a house being painted and asked the two painters how to find Kirby Paint. They looked at each other and agreed that you had to live in New Bedford for 20 years before you could understand the directions, much less find them on the first shot.

It is not a fancy, big place.

Tom Barnatt
03-11-2002, 08:02 AM
That's a typical Mass. thing, been dealing with it forever, it's just a way of life around here i think. When asked directions sometimes you just have to tell people how to get close, then tell them to ask someone else at that point! God forbid there's a rotary involved!! :confused:
There are worse town's than New Bedford to try and find your way around.Have you been to Boston around the Big Dig lately? :eek: :eek: :eek: